specific suggestions for bennington, manchester, rutland

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

joshlh

specific suggestions for bennington, manchester, rutland

Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:14 am

Hi,

Planning on making a day trip from Boston into Southern VT on Sunday, the 19th. It looks like routes 7 and 30 between Rutland and Bennington are the most highly recommended here. Does anyone have an idea of how these would compare to the recommendation in the official state foliage report for a drive between Orwell and Danby in Rutland County? Does anyone have specific recommendations as to whether route 7 or 30 would be better, or are there any other good roads in the area? Coming from Boston, it looks like we'll hit Bennington area first. Is there any reason to go farther north to Manchester or Rutland? Any good back roads?

Does anyone have recommendations for places to get lunch or dinner in these areas? How about interesting places to stop for local produce, maple products, etc.

Thanks in advance to anyone that has advice for me; your help is much appreciated.

Josh

pwt54

Re: specific suggestions for bennington, manchester, rutland

Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:55 pm

Colors in Orwell were pretty good last weekend. But the high winds we had this week might have knocked down a lot of the leaves. Route 30 from Poultney south to Brattleboro should be a good ride. You may find fewer leaves on route 30 from near Peru to Jamaica, but colors sould be good from Jamaica to Brattleboro. The area around Danby and west should be good. Routes 140 and 133 and the secondary roads from Danby to Pawlet and routes 153 and 315 around Pawlet and Rupert is a nice ride. You could also try route 103 from Rutland to Bellows Falls is also a good ride. The area of southeastern Vermont from Brattleboro to Springfield should have color. Route 35 from Townshend to Chester and route 121 from Bellows Falls to Grafton are nice rides.

ixl

Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:16 am

Hi Josh,

There are two basic ways to get to southern VT from Boston. Since you said you were planning on coming through Bennington first, it sounds like you are planning to take the Pike out to near Lee and then take 7 north. That's certainly one option, and the color in western MA might indeed be very nice.

Another possibility is to take route 2 west to I-91, then 91 north to Brattleboro. From Brat you can go either up the CT valley or take route 9 over to Bennington.

The color in the mountains is pretty much over around here, at least above 1500 feet. So you will want to stick to either of the valleys in the Brattleboro or Bennington areas. I am not sure about the Rutland area but it is fairly low down so it should be okay as well.

I can recommend a couple of interesting places in the Bennington area if you think you will be there... though I don't eat in restaurants much.

Charles
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

senthil

Sat Oct 18, 2003 10:17 pm

Charls,
Could you please post interesting places in the Bennington area? Thanks
Sen

ixl

Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:17 am

Looks like I got to this too late.. since I saw another message that said you were coming up on the 19th. But you posted it after 11 pm on the 18th and I was already asleep.. sorry! --c
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!