I'm back, out-of-date update and tease

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ixl

I'm back, out-of-date update and tease

Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:42 pm

Hey all,

I'm back for another fall foliage season. :) Never took a trip last year but hoping to rectify that this time around! I am not sure where I am going to go, wherever looks interesting around October 5-11 or so, hopefully somewhere I haven't been before!

I haven't been up on the route 9 highlands in a while but hope to go back later this month. When I was there towards late August there was already a fair bit of early color. I think this may be an early year.. but then I say that every year. :)

And finally, a tease, from the exceptional 2012 NEK foliage season (color-wise; weather was a challenge at times).

Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

wxman1976

Re: I'm back, out-of-date update and tease

Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:56 pm

Welcome back IXL! It is always nice to "see" old friends again! Like I said on another thread this may become a Perfect Storm foliage season. A cool summer, wet but not overly so. Early cold shots and plenty of evil chlorophyl blasting sunshine. I know NC foresters have said they are expecting a red explosion this fall and I don't see why not in VT too! Could be a fly in the ointment late next week with a cut off low hanging around. may slow things up a bit but should be early enough in the season to not cause too much damage. Behind that more dry sunny weather!
As my friend Joe Bastardi says…Enjoy the weather, it's the only weather you've got!!

Anthony DeVito BS. Meteorology Lyndon State College, Lyndonville VT 1998

ixl

Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:59 pm

Hey wx, good to see you!

Ugh, cut off lows. How I despise those things.

I need some good color around full moon time. And somewhere to go. I've done pretty much everywhere in Vermont at this point, and much of Maine, the Whites. Not the Dacks but I will be too late there. I still want to do coastal Maine / Acadia but maybe too early for there.

I might head back up to Quebec again. I was a bit too late last time when I was there in 2012.

Of course this all depends on weather. I need my lovely moon to be exposed. :)

Open to suggestions! :D

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

wxman1976

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:52 pm

Well lets see, IXL. Full moon is 10:51 GMT on October 8th. Your best bet other than New England for that time would either be along the NY/PA border from 20-30 miles East of Lake Erie to 20-30 miles West of the Hudson. Also peaking at that time is the spine of the Appalachains from Central PA thru MD, and Northern and central WV. Also the highest elevations in Southern WV, and far western NC around Mt. Mitchell. This Autumn looks nothing like 2012, the Autumn without dry weather. Save this one period 8-10 days out it looks like the next 2 weeks will be drier than formal and cooler than normal. and the cut-off may be too far South and East to do too much damage. Hope that helps!
As my friend Joe Bastardi says…Enjoy the weather, it's the only weather you've got!!

Anthony DeVito BS. Meteorology Lyndon State College, Lyndonville VT 1998

exgem54

Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:29 am

hi ixl--Thx for the great pic from 2012--It sure was a great year alright for Fall colors--2012 had about the best color ever for Killington mountain and the NEK along route 114 up to and past Island Pond

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:30 am

Hi Charles! Love your forum posts, you sound very excited for this year's foliage season! Yes, 2012 was an amazing year for foliage but the weather was indeed yucky at times! We had so much fun that day traveling all over the area together, especially the ponds and lakes in Woodbury! The next year Carol (abby) and I went back on some of the routes you and I found and it was gorgeous once again. I know you are going to have a great time this season and I certainly look forward to your photography and posts. :D

I hope to get up there and visit you like we planned, but the only time I have off is day trips for the Columbus Day Weekend. I also will be up for day trips after the holiday. You can join us this weekend in Chester if you are free!

Thanks for the brilliant shot from 2012! Is that one of the ponds we were at in 2012????

ixl

Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:28 am

Hey CT,
ctyanky wrote: I hope to get up there and visit you like we planned, but the only time I have off is day trips for the Columbus Day Weekend. I also will be up for day trips after the holiday. You can join us this weekend in Chester if you are free!
Afraid I can't but thanks for the invite.

I am hoping I will be back for Columbus Day weekend but it all depends on the weather.
ctyanky wrote: Thanks for the brilliant shot from 2012! Is that one of the ponds we were at in 2012????
Nope.. remember how murky that day was?

But this one is.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:23 pm

oh yes! I remember that scene! I would have to say, that Cabot Plains Road was the winner that day. I'll never forget the extreme color array there! I think we stayed at this spot for quite awhile and took a ton of photos! I hope you can get back there and see what the foliage is like this year! :D

Remember that scary, rutty road you took me on near the Woodbury lakes? I made you turn around! Even your Outback was scared! :lol:

ixl

Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:00 pm

I remember you making me turn around somewhere, but not where it was. :)

I probably won't go back to the NEK this year. The only area of VT I haven't properly explored so far is the middle to SE area. If that's not at peak in early Oct I may try Maine or Quebec or somewhere else. Gotta see how the color turns out!

exgem54

Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:14 pm

ixl wrote:I remember you making me turn around somewhere, but not where it was. :)

I probably won't go back to the NEK this year. The only area of VT I haven't properly explored so far is the middle to SE area. If that's not at peak in early Oct I may try Maine or Quebec or somewhere else. Gotta see how the color turns out!
ixl, where was that top picture taken?

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:50 pm

Everyone: Embedded in Charles' DesktopScenes.com are the incredible NEK foliage shots from the stellar 2012 season. Here is the link incase you didn't go into his site.

http://desktopscenes.com/Autumn_Scenes_ ... /index.htm

I am a big fan of his photography and just spending a day with him at some of these locations and watching him with all his gear and how he would jump out of his car at a moment's notice for a scene was just wonderful. Some of the photos include the best Lewis Pond shots I've ever seen anywhere. Hope you can look through the link and see what 2012 was like. The color was the best I've ever experienced BUT we also had to deal with a lot of junk weather! I enjoy looking at these photos over and over again and his individual descriptions are excellent. Enjoy!
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ixl

Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:55 pm

Very kind of you, CT, thanks. Though I think you have been published more than I have! :)

I spent my first night at the Lewis Pond overlook. I literally drove my car to the overlook -- which you aren't supposed to do, and ended up costing me a busted mirror when I backed out, lol. It was super cloudy even though it was supposed to clear. I woke up at 4, tired but glad to see the moon shining in the car, and then got up to take night and then sunrise shots. There were few sunrises and sunsets that fall season but it was often clear at night and I did a lot of night photography. Many of the shots early in the set CT linked were taken from there between 4:30 and 7 am.

exgem, that is Wheeler Pond. I stopped, looked over and was like.. woah, postcard city. :)

I have GPS markers for most of my shots now. I don't have GPS in my camera yet (still using an older one) but I take a GPS and then software to tag the photos which I really like. :)

So, here you go! https://www.google.com/maps/preview?q=4 ... -72.103648

ixl

Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:52 pm

CT found this shot for me!

exgem54

Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:55 pm

ok thx ixl--I see where Wheeler Pond is now--Its between Barton and West Burke off Rt 5 off Wheeler Mtn Rd

courtmel

Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:59 pm

Beautiful photos! I will be up around Stowe next weekend and I'm hoping to see some nice reds and oranges during my travels. We never used Stowe as our home base but we need some new places to see. I hope we're not too early... :?: :?
autumn leaf