Disappointed this year

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Srikar

Disappointed this year

Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:05 am

Well, I have to say I was overall disappointed with NEK this year. We started on 114 from East Burke, took the Burke Mountain Toll road, then took 105 E to the NH border,then 102 N till we got onto Canaan and subsequently to NH. I have to say that I was disappointed. Lots of leaf loss, some tress at their peak, some still turning. Overall, the display was far from magnificient, in comparison to previous years.

We also went north on US-3 to the Great North Woods Conn-Lakes region and it was at its peak. Still some 25% of leaf loss, but it was better. Today, we will be travelling in the White Mountains region. Will keep you posted on the updates

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:22 am

I would have to agree with you on the 3 Connecticut Lakes Region in the Great North Woods. Mind blowing.

We are taking the Burke Mountain Toll Road today and heading up to the Jay Peak Tram Ride.

Hope the rest of your trip in NH is rewarding!

TexasTerry

Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:03 am

Will be in the White Mountain area on Wed / Thu. Look forward to your report.

Srikar

Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:25 am

ctyanky wrote:I would have to agree with you on the 3 Connecticut Lakes Region in the Great North Woods. Mind blowing.

We are taking the Burke Mountain Toll Road today and heading up to the Jay Peak Tram Ride.

Hope the rest of your trip in NH is rewarding!
Don't expect too much from Burke Mountain toll road either. Although these is good color, it pales out in comparison to last year. Leaf loss is the primary culprit. Only a few patches that were good :(

lirwin13

Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:19 pm

Hope you find some good color in the White Mountains. The drive home through Franconia Notch today was rather disappointing. I'm glad I opted to go back into VT this morning/afternoon instead of spending the day in the Franconia area. Looked like there was a lot of leaf loss and what was there was very dull in comparison to most years. Hopefully the color in other parts of the Whites is still good.

wentworth

Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:42 am

well, I'm glad we skipped the NEK this year :)

wentworth

Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:44 am

lirwin13 wrote:Hope you find some good color in the White Mountains. The drive home through Franconia Notch today was rather disappointing. I'm glad I opted to go back into VT this morning/afternoon instead of spending the day in the Franconia area. Looked like there was a lot of leaf loss and what was there was very dull in comparison to most years. Hopefully the color in other parts of the Whites is still good.
agree, we didn't see much color in the White Mounains either, but that area doesn't need color--just driving 1-93 thru that area is always great, just for the mountains

Srikar

Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:25 pm

lirwin13 wrote:Hope you find some good color in the White Mountains. The drive home through Franconia Notch today was rather disappointing. I'm glad I opted to go back into VT this morning/afternoon instead of spending the day in the Franconia area. Looked like there was a lot of leaf loss and what was there was very dull in comparison to most years. Hopefully the color in other parts of the Whites is still good.
Unfortunately we had to cancel our trip to the White Mountains due to some personal reasons. Hmm I guess the continuous rain last week wrecked havoc in NEK/ White Mountains. Somehow, Conn. Lakes region was slightly better with lower leaf loss