Strafford, VT featured in Vermont Magazine (March/April)

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Strafford, VT featured in Vermont Magazine (March/April)

Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:08 pm

This post is dedicated to one of the most (if not the most) beautiful towns in Vermont! I was thrilled to see it highlighted in Vermont Magazine when I arrived home today (March/April edition). We discovered this town by chance in Fall, 2007 taking the Strafford Mountain Road at the spur of the moment. What a find! We could not believe this idyllic spot even existed!

The article is categorized under “Vermont Towns”, and the author, Peter Crabtree, has photographed their stunning town meeting house, calling it an "architectural gem". I actually thought it was a church but after reading this article, I found it was initially built as one in 1799 but two years later, became the site of their annual town meeting. Their town meeting has taken place every March henceforth. The author states, “It is, some Strafford residents say, the most photographed building in all of Vermont other than the state capitol in Montpelier.”

When we got there and parked the car and looked around (no other tourists in sight), we said to ourselves, “Are we dreaming or what!” So if you think Peacham is a step back in time, then you haven’t been to Strafford. :!: I can’t wait to take Carol there on our day trip to Tunbridge, Chelsea, etc. so she can spend time photographing the meeting house which is on a rise, with the town green below.

A quote taken from the article made by the town’s historian goes like this, “I don’t know if I want anyone to know about Strafford.” Well, I hope you can all get there this fall! Ironically, the author described the town as a “rural Shagri-Las”. Here is the post I made on the forum after my visit there in 2007. Our impressions of this delightful town were actually quite similar!

Fall 2007: “The town of Strafford, VT is a must see. The white steepled church and all the beautiful period homes circumventing the town green were a sight to behold. Like a postcard! We were the only ones there. It seemed like a step back in time - Vermont's perfect hidden gem. (I felt like I was in Brigadoon but in Vermont!). I would highly recommend trying to include it in one of your routes. We stopped in Chelsea, Brookfield and Bethel as well that day. If you go to Strafford, take the Strafford Mountain Road which is breathtaking. I would highly suggest a Cartographic or Jimapco because the road is not the easiest to find and I'm sure the town residents like it that way!”

We left in awe. I am sure you will too! :wink:
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot