Growth as a Photographer

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: bm, Andy, admin

Andy

Growth as a Photographer

Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:58 am

When fall comes around, I wander back here to see if there is any activity. For reasons way beyond the scope of this post, we do not seem to get much activity these days. But I wanted to give some credit to a couple folks here.

Its hard to believe I first joined here in September of 2005. 12 years went by very fast! When I first stared coming to the board, it was to surf the foliage board for "intel" on conditions in Vermont. I have met a few friends here, who share my enthusiam for photography, including Carol, Margy (MMVT) and Tim (fromNEK). I wanted to shout out to you and say how impressed I am with your growth as photographers. I know there are others who were/are at various places in their photographic skills and there is no intent to exclude them. These are just 3 people who, in my opinion, have come a remarkable distance and are now the folks we all look to for examples of wonderful Vermont Scenery.

Carol: You probably remember that when I first came along you were a serious Point & Shoot camera user. I think we first talked about some of your local knowledge about scenes, and eventually it evolved to cameras, techniques and methods. I recall encouraging you to get a DSLR camera and use your "eye" to its full potential. Since then, you grew to a very talented shooter, with your own website. I have the very great honor of having you as a dear friend as well as co-author on the Second Edition of the Vermont Foliage Book!

Tim: Do you remember this post - Christmas time, 2013, I believe : "My awesome wife bought me a new camera for Christmas. So I have graduated from the old 8MP Sony DSC-H7 point-n-shoot to a DSLR Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i). So far I really like it. I just need to work on understanding the capabilities. I plan on making use of Andy and Autzig's websites (although Autzig's link isn't working for me) to help me learn more about making the most of this camera. The camera came with 18-55 IS II and EF 75-300 f/4-5.6 III lenses. So I'm going to start there. I also need to get a copy of Lightroom or another image post processing software before I start shooting in raw.
I'm excited.
"

While you had alread posted some impressive shots, the images you have made, and posted in more recent years are excellent and I have been at times, envious of your work. When I ever get back to Vermont, I would love to meet you in person and perhaps even do some shooting together. Congratulations on your skills and success and please keep favoring us with your work!

Margy: Although we were conversant on the board, I got to know you personally later (and condsider it an honor to be your friend). I didn't know your background in photography and suspect it was already more advanced when I came along. But your most recent imagery - here and elsewhere - has in my opinion gone from being good, to amazingly impressive. I haven't done much with milky way imagery, and I know you, Carol and others have been "schooled" by our great friend Al Utzig. Some of the recent examples you have made are among the best (if not THE best) I have ever seen.

Just wanted to give some accolades! Best to all of you!
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

bogey456

Re: Growth as a Photographer

Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:14 am

Hi Andy: I noticed that you mentioned that you (and Carol) have a 2nd addition of your "Photographing Vermont's Fall Foliage" book. I have your first book and I'm wondering if the 2nd addition is available and if so how I could get a copy.
Al
Al

Andy

Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:59 am

Hi Al: Yes, it is available on all the "normal" ebook outlets, including Amazon (Kindle), iBooks (Apple) and Nook. It has actually replaced the First Edition, which is no longer available. We added a lot of new material, so it is worth upgrading. Carol is a fount of knowledge about Vermont, especially in the NEK and had been to, and photographed a few places I haven't.

Best regards, and thanks for asking
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

bogey456

Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:30 am

Hi Andy, Yes I found it on Amazon. I'm in the process of putting your GPS data into my GPS and marking up my JIMAPCO.
Al
Al

mmvt

Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:48 am

Thanks for the kind words Andy! One of the very best things about this forum (for me) has been the opportunity to get to know and spend time with several people, including you! Al was so generous in introducing me to Milky Way photography - my first shot was from the deck of the house we rent in Killington and then we made our way down to Colton Pond and captured some amazing star reflections. My first attempts were pretty basic (at best) but capturing the beautiful night sky is now a passion! Although photography has always been an interest, my more recent photography includes an intentional "focus" on mindfulness mediation and that makes a huge difference for how I am "seeing" things!
Your passion for VT continues to be a huge resource for people here, along with the "locals" who so generously share their knowledge including "secret" photography locations :-)
PS - not too late to plan a last minute trip up for this Fall!!!

abby

Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:49 pm

Thank you for the compliment Andy. I remember when I first started posting here and I was so proud of my photos. Ha ha. I have to admit I've come a long way since then and I owe a lot of that to you (and Al). I'm still learning and there's always so much more room for improvement, but the passion is still in me and that's what keeps me going. I love to be inspired by good photography, and we have so many talented photographers who post here. I agree with you 100 percent about Tim (NEK) and Margy (MMVT). It's been such a delight to see the two of them progress into the excellent photographers they both have become. I can't get enough of seeing their work and they inspire me every time I see it.
It's also great to now have Ed McGuirk as a contributing member. I'm also a huge fan of his work and I love to see him share his knowledge. He's an extremely talented photographer, and once again, I have drawn a lot of inspiration from him as well.
You're an ok photographer too. JK......Ha ha.....Thanks for your mentorship and friendship.
Carol