NEK and Moose Alley NH

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

triz

NEK and Moose Alley NH

Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:33 pm

Hi everyone,
My wife and I are thinking to come back to New England from Philly this fall, after the beautiful trip last here.

The idea would be to split 4 days between NEK and NW New Hampshire (mostly moose "hunting" in the Moose Alley, near Pittsburg NH).
In a normal season, would the 11-14 October weekend too late for the NEK area? Any suggestion for some nice areas for leaf peeping in NH?

Thanks!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: NEK and Moose Alley NH

Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:58 pm

Hi Triz! Great to see you back on the forum and that you are thinking of returning to Vermont. You photos last year were excellent!

As far as those dates, I would think you would find the tail end of high color in the NEK or maybe even past peak, but every season is so different! Any chance to move up the vacation by a week? It may be more rewarding for you.

As far as NH, have you driven the Kancamagus Highway? It is so beautiful! Beaver Pond at Kinsman Notch is my absolute favorite place to stop. If you google it, you will find lots of gorgeous photos. Since all of my time is in Vermont, I defer to others to answer your NH inquiries.

As far a moose, good luck! But I bet you might see one! :)

Finally, have you thought about getting lodging soon??? It probably should be done ASAP, especially for the weekends!

CT

admin
Site Admin

Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:06 pm

I would not wait until October to visit the NEK. Mid to late September should be far better. Why not start in the north and then drop down as you need.

triz

Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:12 am

Thank you both for the replies!

Unfortunately we are locked with the dates, since my wife teaches and she will have the 15 and 16 off.

What Vermont area should be the best in that weekend normally? Last year we were in VT during the same weekend, and it was all green in south VT, and we found nice colors between Killington and Peacham.
But I know it was a peculiar year....

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:36 pm

triz: too early to tell how the season will pan out. Perhaps you might think about the Champlain Valley area around that time, or SW or SE VT. Why don't you just go with the flow once you get there? Just get your lodging somewhere in central or southcentral VT and follow the color according to the reports coming in. Honestly, I don't think you will have trouble getting a place to stay in that time frame (after Columbus Day, it seems to thin out quite a bit). Pick a good location to branch out accordingly. What areas were you thinking of anyways to get lodging??? I head up frequently after Columbus Day and found nice color in SE VT. Yes, last year was, well, different......….

We need those sunny days and cool nights in September and then many nights of frost. Unfortunately, we are in one heck of a hot spell this summer so hopefully after Labor Day the season will adjust and be kind! :wink:

CT

triz

Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:05 pm

Thanks, I will check those places!

Still no precise idea for the lodging, I will definitely ask for some suggestions in the next days/weeks as soon as I have a better plan :)

wentworth

Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:43 pm

--Late September used to the be the peak for NEK and Pittsburg NH but starting in 2015, the Fall has been arriving later, however there was some amazing color last year as early as Sept 12th--The big thing is the temperature--If the morning lows are in the 30's then color usually gets a good kickstart--Otherwise, Oct 11th to 14th will be most probably past peak in those areas and even in Killington

triz

Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:52 am

Thank you!
Following Ctyanky’s suggestion we decided we will be spending two days in the Kancamamgus highway area, in the White Mts.
What I have been told is that there, since there are different elevations, you can find good colors somewhere pretty much any time from end of September to mid October.
The owner of the bed and breakfast we reserved told me that in the last couple of years peak was always around the 10 of October.
Do you think this make sense?

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:36 am

Hi Triz! May I add a comment to your question? Don't start second guessing yourself. You made a nice choice and you will love that area. Remember, you can ALWAYS travel from your home base and find color with reports coming in. You may want to even start where you are for the two days and end up in SE VT.

Where are you staying the other two nights? I think you said you were up north for four days. Just relax and enjoy your lodging that you have made and travel about every day. I think you will be finely rewarded. We just don't know how and when the season will turn out, but based on the amount of rain we have been getting, I would say the trees will remain quite healthy for the foliage season.

The middle of September is our turning point and all eyes are on that timeframe.

There is a lovely pond on the Kanc called Lily Pond. It is quite a beautiful setting. Phil (pwt) and I stopped there and it was so serene I'll never forget it.

CT

triz

Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:42 pm

Hey Ctyanky!
There will be only one additional night, probably somewhere in SE Vermont (where will be spending the last day before driving back to Philly).
Thanks everyone!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:03 pm

Grafton, Newfane and Chester are awesome. You would love Chester! There are quite a few B&B's there and the town has nice eateries. Actually, there is a really nice inn just outside of Brattleboro near a covered bridge but the name escapes me. It's right near a river. You can search for these lodgings online. The back roads around Townshend are excellent. One of the forum members (bvahjen) had a cabin in Chester and I learned a lot about the area from him. You can't go wrong in the SE quadrant. Enjoy!

triz

Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:24 pm

Our lodge was in Grafton last year, really nice place!
All green in mid-October though last year, let's see this year :)

Thanks again!

admin
Site Admin

Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:03 pm

triz wrote:Our lodge was in Grafton last year, really nice place!
All green in mid-October though last year, let's see this year :)

Thanks again!

The place outside Brattleboro that ctyanky is referring too is called Green River. Depending when you are there, the foliage color can be fantastic. And yes there are several places to stay there. I have seen them doing a wedding at one of them
green_rivr.jpg
green_rivr.jpg (43.69 KiB) Viewed 20022 times

triz

Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:07 pm

Thanks! I will check that area too!

Any recommendation on Berkshire MA also? I was thinking about driving across this region on our way back to Philly on the last day.
I was thinking of the Mohawk trail, that should be perfect in mid-October.

kcflanders

Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:01 pm

Mohawk Trail should be a great route that time of year. Spend an hour or so at Bridge of Flowers in Shelbourne Falls. The blooms are really a sight in Spring and Summer, but still well worth the time for a quick stop on that route.