Early Signs of Fall..........

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: bm, Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

abby
Moderator
Posts: 1850
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:01 am
Location: southeast massachusetts
Contact:

Re: Early Signs of Fall..........

Postby abby » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:09 pm

ctyanky wrote:Hi Carol, I think we have two wonderful Texans posting here on the forum. Aggiedude (Marty - further down in the post) is the one who is coming mid September due to wife's obligations with family.

Texas aggie is on target for Columbus Day Weekend.

I hope I got them both separated in travel dates????? :D :D :D

But we love Texans and welcome both to our forum! When I stay at my inns, 50% of the guests are from Texas! When I lived there I thought they were the friendliest folks I've ever come across. So much fun to talk with them at the inns and hear how much they in turn love coming to Vermont! :wink:


Oh, thank you. Very confusing as they both have the name aggie.......I just assumed they were the same person because of that :D
Carol


mmvt
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:13 am

Re: Early Signs of Fall..........

Postby mmvt » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:27 pm

Texas_Aggie wrote:
ctyanky wrote:Hi Texas: I'm sure you are in your final countdown, days now!

Our trees here in northern CT are turning now as you round the bend at every corner.


Yes! i can't wait! Any early guess on what the Woodstock-Cavendish area might look like Columbus day weekend? We should be able to drive 1.5 hrs north or south of Cavendish if we need to, but i was definitely hoping on hitting Jenne Farm and Cloudland road while we are up there.

Cheers!

those areas may be really good Columbus Day depending on how quickly foliage changes once it starts. Keep in mind that Woodstock is a zoo that weekend (traffic)! - there are some back road work arounds so figure those out and use them! :-) Cavendish will be quiet. Jenne Farm MAY be packed with photographers so get there early if that's important (and please leave a small donation for the owners if you can - there is a box in the field). Sadly, Cloudland Road has become a NIGHTMARE recently. last year there were carloads of people parking haphazardly on the narrow road, blocking traffic and trespassing on people's property. It's beautiful and I hope you can see it but it is no fun with lots of people and the homeowners are not happy about it. If you're staying in the Cavendish area, check out twenty mile stream road (i think that's the name) - it's lovely drive!

Texas_Aggie
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:30 am

Re: Early Signs of Fall..........

Postby Texas_Aggie » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:47 am

Thanks for the tips! I'll look into that 20 mile stream road.

ctyanky
Board Admin
Posts: 2808
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:22 am

Re: Early Signs of Fall..........

Postby ctyanky » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:58 pm

Texas: Minnesotaman will be the one to watch for some of the best reports around Woodstock. He stays there on Cloudland Road for a month! He knows every square inch of the surrounding area and gives extremely accurate, detailed and honest reports of the color as well as comparisons from many years past. I think he does 12 hour days every day from what he has told me! He is a scouter for sure, ramping up vast amounts of miles of travel throughout VT and NH. He is the one who told me about Joe Ranger Rd and Old Kings Highway, etc. CT

ctyanky
Board Admin
Posts: 2808
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:22 am

Re: Early Signs of Fall..........

Postby ctyanky » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:11 am

Due to the recent cool nights (brrrrr) the trees are starting to pop in my area in the higher elevations. What is appearing at the tips of the canopies is ruby red and orange, so I am hopeful this will continue to emerge up north! As I mentioned before, the trees remain healthy and lush and there is little to none leaf drop. The upcoming weekend is looking pretty awesome as well. I'm hoping for more sunshiny days in the forecast thereafter and when this rain today and tomorrow stops, we should have a better handle on things to come. Next week should give us more clues as to what is to transpire up in Vermont. I remain optimistic! CT

Texas_Aggie
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:30 am

Re: Early Signs of Fall..........

Postby Texas_Aggie » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:41 am

once things get rolling, how fast will they typically turn?

edmcguirk
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:55 am
Contact:

Re: Early Signs of Fall..........

Postby edmcguirk » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:20 am

Texas_Aggie wrote:once things get rolling, how fast will they typically turn?


Teaxas Aggie it depends on the weather, sunny cool days are good, rainy days are not. This year could be an unusual one. As of 4 or 5 days ago, everything was green across the whole state, and it was looking like it was going to be at least 7 to 14 days later than normal. We've had some of the good weather this week, which may accelerate that. If the cool weather sustains, it could go from green to some good color in some places in 4 or 5 days, but who knows.

If you arrive and have a mostly green situation, look for places that get you to higher elevation, like the Gap roads, or head way north to the Northeast Kingdom (northeast of St. Johnsbury). Mixed color and green can make for interesting photos too, it doesn't have to be about peak color. And color can happen in pockets here and there, you have to get out and drive around if color hasn't popped yet.

This webcam is not encouraging currently. This is from Pittsburg NH, which is further north than the Northeast Kingdom, and as far north you can go in New Hampshire without being in Canada. As of today 9/25 it still looks pretty green to me, despite the cold snap we've had in recent days. The "old" normal peak for Pittsburg would have been "late September", but this looks like it has at least a week to go. A big change can happen in 4 or 5 days, but it's definitely green now.
https://www.lopstick.com/lopstick-webcam/

Here is a link to another place with "reports", that seems to be posting more frequently than the state of Vermont Report, albeit with less detailed information. Caveat emptor
https://www.foliagenetwork.com/index.ph ... rtheast-us

edmcguirk
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:55 am
Contact:

Re: Early Signs of Fall..........

Postby edmcguirk » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:36 am

Here is another good resource, showing various webcams across the state of Vermont. Still lots of green on 9/25, but some hints starting to show.
Mad River Glen webcam shows it barely starting, but that's up at some elevation too. It could be worse, at least we don't have 80's in the 10 day forecast.

http://www.vermont.com/news-media/webcams/

wentworth
Posts: 531
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:56 pm

Re: Early Signs of Fall..........

Postby wentworth » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:05 pm

edmcguirk wrote:
Texas_Aggie wrote:once things get rolling, how fast will they typically turn?


Teaxas Aggie it depends on the weather, sunny cool days are good, rainy days are not. This year could be an unusual one. As of 4 or 5 days ago, everything was green across the whole state, and it was looking like it was going to be at least 7 to 14 days later than normal. We've had some of the good weather this week, which may accelerate that. If the cool weather sustains, it could go from green to some good color in some places in 4 or 5 days, but who knows.

If you arrive and have a mostly green situation, look for places that get you to higher elevation, like the Gap roads, or head way north to the Northeast Kingdom (northeast of St. Johnsbury). Mixed color and green can make for interesting photos too, it doesn't have to be about peak color. And color can happen in pockets here and there, you have to get out and drive around if color hasn't popped yet.

This webcam is not encouraging currently. This is from Pittsburg NH, which is further north than the Northeast Kingdom, and as far north you can go in New Hampshire without being in Canada. As of today 9/25 it still looks pretty green to me, despite the cold snap we've had in recent days. The "old" normal peak for Pittsburg would have been "late September", but this looks like it has at least a week to go. A big change can happen in 4 or 5 days, but it's definitely green now.
https://www.lopstick.com/lopstick-webcam/

Here is a link to another place with "reports", that seems to be posting more frequently than the state of Vermont Report, albeit with less detailed information. Caveat emptor
https://www.foliagenetwork.com/index.ph ... rtheast-us

The Lopstick camera is 'bleached out', its actually much prettier and much more lush than that pic suggests--They used to have a beautiful 24/7 high def video every day, but not any more

wentworth
Posts: 531
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:56 pm

Re: Early Signs of Fall..........

Postby wentworth » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:38 pm

Speaking of WebCams, its frustrating because pea-soup fog has prevented me from seeing Killington at all last 2 days, the Killington panoramic 360 Cam

Texas_Aggie
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:30 am

Re: Early Signs of Fall..........

Postby Texas_Aggie » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:00 pm

wentworth wrote:Speaking of WebCams, its frustrating because pea-soup fog has prevented me from seeing Killington at all last 2 days, the Killington panoramic 360 Cam


Yeah, I've been checking Killington a couple of times a day, hoping to see something

mmvt
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:13 am

Re: Early Signs of Fall..........

Postby mmvt » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:32 pm

Keep in mind that the color change can (sometimes) seem to happen very rapidly! A year ago, what seemed like a washout in many areas actually turned into some decent foliage in some areas. Some years, certain areas seem to have 2 "waves" of color depending on the trees in that particular area and when they turn. For the past 20 years I have spent anywhere from a week to 13 days in VT. Some years, the color progresses gradually with day by day, subtle changes. Other years, it seems that color simply EXPLODES out of nowhere. Sometimes it moves in the "obvious" North - South and Upper - lower elevations. Other years it seems more haphazard. It has been different - and wonderful - every single year, even the few times when there is "no color" or more muted color. I have learned to not stress about the color as I know i will always find beauty in VT regardless of how the foliage is.
I will be in VT starting on Friday and will try to post some reports although posting here is always a challenge so much of what I share in terms of immediate reports will be via Facebook.

Texas_Aggie
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:30 am

Re: Early Signs of Fall..........

Postby Texas_Aggie » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:00 pm

mmvt wrote:I will be in VT starting on Friday and will try to post some reports although posting here is always a challenge so much of what I share in terms of immediate reports will be via Facebook.


do you have a public profile that we can follow, or are your facebook posts just for your friends? no worries if your account is private, i was just curious about following your updates if they happened to be publicly available.

mmvt
Posts: 627
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:13 am

Re: Early Signs of Fall..........

Postby mmvt » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:11 pm

Texas_Aggie wrote:
mmvt wrote:I will be in VT starting on Friday and will try to post some reports although posting here is always a challenge so much of what I share in terms of immediate reports will be via Facebook.


do you have a public profile that we can follow, or are your facebook posts just for your friends? no worries if your account is private, i was just curious about following your updates if they happened to be publicly available.


Texas - send me a private message and I will give you a link to a VT focused FB group that several of us participate in...! :-)

ctyanky
Board Admin
Posts: 2808
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:22 am

Re: Early Signs of Fall..........

Postby ctyanky » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:57 am

From summer to fall and back to 80 here in northern CT today. However, the weekend is looking great up north and it will cool down again. After the cold front today with some rather large storms, it will feel like autumn again. More importantly, the trees are looking so healthy! We just need that cold snap and many more bright sunshiny days and we will be in great shape! I think many of us will be surprised when we wake up in Vermont one morning and say, "Wow, it just opened up overnight!" :D



Return to “Foliage Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests