Fall trip. Need help to fix my routes

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: bm, Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

abby

Re: Fall trip. Need help to fix my routes

Postby abby » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:11 pm

Hi Photo Guy,
Because Franconia Notch is a priority for you, and you want to end up in Hardwick VT by the end of the day, you are going to be covering a lot of territory on day one:

9/28 Drive from Boston to Conway NH

9/29 Take Rte 112 West (which is the Kancamagus Highway) from Conway NH to Lincoln NH. Stop at all of the scenic pulloffs along the road. There are many and they are all worth it. You will be spending several hours along this route. I don't want you to hurry along. You need to enjoy it.

You will end up in Lincoln NH. You can grab lunch here or further up the road in Woodstock NH.

Follow Rte 112 West out of Woodstock. This will take you through Kinsman Notch which is also called The Lost River Road. You will eventually pass The Lost River Gorge. Approximately one mile after you pass this you are going to turn left to see Beaver Pond. The first entrance is the trailhead parking. Don't take that entrance. Stay on Rte 112 and just around the corner there is another entrance with a smaller parking area. This is where you will see the best view of the pond. Go back onto Rte 112 West for several miles. Then turn right onto Rte 116 towards Sugar Hill NH. (This whole stretch of Rte 112 and 116 had the best color I saw all weekend. That's why I'm sending you here. ) Turn right onto Sugar Hill Road to Toad Hill Road. Again, very good color here. Turn left onto Lafayette Road. Turn right onto Sunset Hill Road. Gorgeous views here. Go to Rte 117. Stop at St Matthews Church for photos. Walk across the Birches Rd to a small pond with the church reflecting in the pond. If I were you I would drive around this whole area and explore back roads. This whole area has good color.

From here, go back and start following your original directions that you mapped out from Sugar Hill. You will be on Rte 302 West. When you get to Bath, turn right onto West Bath Road and stop to photograph the Bath Covered Bridge. Park in the lot and walk down to see the bridge from below.
Return to Rte 302 West and follow Rte 302 t Rte 91 North. Take exit 21. Merge onto Rte 2 West toward Montpelier Danville. Turn right onto Rte 15 East into Hardwick.

Check in to your lodging. It will have been a very long full day. You can go to Noyes Pond/Seyon State Park the next day. I know that is a priority for you and that's why I took it out of your day one schedule.You will be too rushed and tired if you do it on day one. I will map out the next two days for you tomorrow.
Carol

photo_guy

Postby photo_guy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:38 pm

abby wrote:From here, go back and start following your original directions that you mapped out from Sugar Hill. You will be on Rte 302 West. When you get to Bath, turn right onto West Bath Road and stop to photograph the Bath Covered Bridge. Park in the lot and walk down to see the bridge from below.
Return to Rte 302 West and follow Rte 302 t Rte 91 North. Take exit 21. Merge onto Rte 2 West toward Montpelier Danville. Turn right onto Rte 15 East into Hardwick.

Thanks.
From Bath to Hardwick, is it just drive or there are stops, where we need to stop ? If not much, then we will go slow and even if it gets dark after Bath and reach Hardwick in night, it is ok.
I will wait for your further help on other days.

abby

Postby abby » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:41 am

You could hop off Rte 91 in Barnet and go to Hillside Acres Farm. That is best seen and photographed late afternoon. You will find the directions in the Ebook that you purchased. Andy has a gorgeous photo he shot there in the book. I went early day and was shooting into the sun and my pictures suffered because of that. Then find Garland Hill Road and enjoy the views from here as well.
If it's not too late you can check out the Peacham area but most of these places are better seen and photographed in the morning light. You could then take East Peacham Rd to Peacham Danville Rd back to Rte 2 where you will take a left to head towards Hardwick. There are places all along this route to Hardwick that you may want to stop and see. Working on the next few days for you.

Carol

abby

Postby abby » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:08 am

OK. Looking at the routes you have mapped out for the next two days, it doesn't make sense for me to send you to Noyes Pond/Seyon Lodge State Park in the morning. Go ahead and keep that on your route from New Hampshire. You will just have to fit it in. :-) I have only been there in the morning and it was beautiful but I'm sure you will be happy there in the afternoon. I was hoping to get you there in the morning but it just doesn't make sense as you will be heading South and then have to turn around and go back North to follow your highlighted route.

Keep your routes for the next two days. Make sure you put Jobs Pond, Newark Pond, and Ball Hill Pond in Newark on one of your stops. They are all fairly close to each other within the same vicinity and are really beautiful. You can easily find them on your map. You could probably stop at them on the day you do the Island Pond area. Have a great time. Go with the flow and don't be afraid to take some turns on back roads that look intriguing. You never know what you will find along the back roads of Vermont.

Carol

photo_guy

Postby photo_guy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:00 pm

Thank you Carol

pwt54

Postby pwt54 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:58 am

The only downside on your tour is the lodging in the Hardwick/Greensboro area. There isn't much in that area. Stowe, Vt will be your best bet.
Conway, NH might be a problem, also. The Fryeburg Fair will be starting and lodging might be scarce. Your tour itself looks great.

abby

Postby abby » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:15 am

photo_guy wrote:Thank you Carol

You're welcome!!!! Have a wonderful time and try to keep an eye on this forum during your travels for up to date foliage conditions.
Carol

photo_guy

Postby photo_guy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:30 am

pwt54 wrote:The only downside on your tour is the lodging in the Hardwick/Greensboro area. There isn't much in that area. Stowe, Vt will be your best bet.
Conway, NH might be a problem, also. The Fryeburg Fair will be starting and lodging might be scarce. Your tour itself looks great.

I am able to reserve accomodation on Thursday night in Conway. I am planning to leave early on Friday morning, so I can see some sunrise spots. Hopefully that will save me, from crowd.

I can see lodging availability in Stowe yet and still have option to cancel Hardwick. Initially I thought that St.Johnbury is central location but it was showing all expensive accommodations. In nearby places, I found Hardwick, so booked it there. I will using base only for night stay, otherwise my daytime would be on road only.

How staying in Stowe can help me more ? Please suggest.

abby

Postby abby » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:41 am

Hi Photo Guy. I think PWT was just throwing that out there in case you didn't already have your lodging secured in Hardwick that there would be more lodging options available in Stowe. I think you are fine staying where you are already booked and don't see any need for you to change it.
Carol

Return to “Foliage Forum”