ARNOLD JOHN KAPLAN'S MONTHLY PHOTO SCENIC - OCTOBER

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Andy

ARNOLD JOHN KAPLAN'S MONTHLY PHOTO SCENIC - OCTOBER

Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:19 pm

This month's Photo Scenic is another of Arnold's Iconic Photos from his Yellow Book, The Sugar House, which can be seen on Arnold's Gallery here on Foliage Vermont. This scenic can be seen in the original Kaplan Slide show on Foliage Vermont, as well as on his DVD which ships with the Yellow Book.

This month's shot was taken by Arnold's good friend and Vermont native citizen, Mike Bodi.

Here is what Arnold says about this scenic:

This is a beautiful red Vermont sugar house located at the bottom of a white birch lined country road which makes a perfect “S” curve leading line to the sugar house.

This famous red sugar house is located a half mile down Rte 106 from the Jenne farm road and is usually the next stop after shooting at the Jenne Farm.

The exact directions are as follows. Set you Odometer at 0.0 at Routes 4 and 106 in the center of Woodstock. Take Rte 106 south. At exactly 8.6 miles take the road on the left to the sugar house. Drive down this road for 3/10ths of a mile where you will see the red sugar house on the left side of the road at the bottom of a hill. Drive past the sugar house and go up the hill for 2/10th of a mile. Park your car at the side of the road. When you look back, you will see the “S” curved road leading to the sugar house.

This is a morning shot so come here right after you shoot the Jenne Farm. The morning sun lights up the road, trees and the front of the sugar house. It is also a great winter scene with a lot of snow on the ground, especially right after a snow storm.
Last edited by Andy on Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Pentaxguy

A great place to photograph in Vermont

Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:58 pm

Interesting that Mr Kaplan's photo is a later day shot, with the sun raking the side of the sugar house facing the road, even though he suggests it as a morning shot after the Jenne Farm.

Regardless, it's become an iconic image of what lures all photographers to the Green Mountain State. And many of us first learned about the photo ops from the little yellow book.

Further up the hill there's a good long view looking over to the Jenne Farm (and another view from near Jenne can show the farm up the hill from the sugar house.)

Andy

Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:42 pm

Pentax: Good to see you here again. Thanks for the information on the other photo ops.

NOTE: As the narrative above says, this shot is actually NOT Arnold's but was shot by Mike Bodi, a friend of Arnolds. Arnold asked me to post it instead of his, and to give Mike credit.

It just shows that sometimes "rules" are made to be broken.
Andy

pwt54

Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:02 pm

Al had his Kaplan book with him today, right beside his trunk load of equipment. I could have pawned all of it and retired to the Bahamas.

Andy

Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:22 am

Hey Phil: Sounds like you found them some photo ops in spite of the weather. As you know, CT called Carol, who relayed your day to me. I am jealous (I think) of the shot of Mansfield with snow on top and color below. Makes me wish I had come just for Friday.

Thanks for stopping at my Uncle's farm.
Andy

Andy

Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:23 am

BTW, rumour has is that Arnold will be in Vermont for a few days next week and might even touch bases with one of our auspicious members here!
Andy