OFFICIAL THREAD: 2009 SOV 2nd ANNUAL FALL REUNION!!!!!!!!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

bvahjen

Joining up

Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:06 am

CT, my wife and I may want to join the group on the 3rd, where and what time are you meeting? We would come up to our cabin in Chester on the night of the 2nd and then come out that morning. I did not see the exact location and time, so wanted to check if we could join the group for the day. Was in Chester last weekend for the street fair, it was great. Thanks.

ixl

Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:16 am

I'm still a "maybe" for this reunion. I am going to try to be there if I can, but I don't finalize my plans until the last minute...
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

pwt54

Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:51 am

We are hoping to meet at the parking lot for the Lake Wiioughby Beach on route 16 at about 10 am. Abby wants to hike to the (gasp) nude beach, then we can figure which tour we want to take to Island Pond. If you can't make the parking lot at 10 am, meet us in Island Pond. Look for a red Subaru Forester with a lady with a bad case of moose fever.

From_the_NEK

Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:38 pm

pwt54 wrote:Abby wants to hike to the (gasp) nude beach, then we can figure which tour we want to take to Island Pond.
Don't worry, this time of year even the most hardy nude beach utilizers are forced into wearing clothing :lol:

As far as a route to Island Pond from Lake Willoughby, I would take either Hinton Hill Rd over to VT 105 (great panoramic views) or Long Pond Rd toward Newark (this route is more complicated but you have a lot of options with several ponds [Long Pond, Newark Pond, Bald Hill Pond, and Job's Pond] to stop and photograph).
pwt54 wrote: Look for a red Subaru Forester with a lady
You just described half of the vehicles registered in Vermont :lol: (my wife drives a silver one)

Here in the NEK, the color change looks to be very even this year. The upper elevations are as usual ahead of the valleys but not as far ahead as they normally would be. I think the colors are going to reach peak here in the general Lyndonville area the middle of next week. As long as we don't get any high winds that knock off the crown leaves, I think this season is going to rival 2008.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:44 pm

Hi bvahjen! That would be great if you and your wife could join us! Wow! This group is growing!

I posted the thread originally but Carol and Phil are the co-captains this time! They know the area quite well and I'm just riding along with Phil and his brother to torment them! :twisted: All kidding aside, we all had a blast with Phil driving us around at the last meet-up in Bennington. You are SURE to have an adventure with this group! :wink:

Funny that you mentioned the Chester Fair. I saw that on some event list this weekend and thought that would be something I would really enjoy. I stayed in a B&B in Chester two falls ago. What a lovely town. Small, but seems to have everything in it that you would love. Especially that great book store! Nice inns, restaurants, town green, historical society and quaint shops!

Keep in touch and we hope to see you a week from Saturday! :D
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

bvahjen

Hi all

Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:49 am

CT, I was in that bookstore in Chester last weekend! Bought a nice picture book on Ireland for 5 bucks. In answer to Carol's question, we have an SUV and our cabin is on a dirt road in Chester, so we are used to ruts, especially in mud season. Look forward to meeting everyone.

bogey456

Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:33 pm

Hi All
I've been coming to Vermont for the last three years at foliage time and I've gotten a lot of good shots using Arnold Kaplan's book (he autographed it for me last year at Jenne farm) and David Middleton's book.
I found the forum last year and after reading some of the post's, it sounds like you guy's have a blast while getting some great photo's. I thought I'd like to join you this year if possible. I live in Nashua and will will be coming up 93 to 91 to 16 to Lake Willoughby. Can someone please give me more specific directions to the parking area where every one is meeting.

See you on the 3rd

Al
Al

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:04 am

Hi Al: Welcome to the forum and we'll be looking forward to meeting up with you for the Lewis Pond adventure!

Yes, we DO have a blast! What a crazy group we have become! :shock:

Plans are already being tossed around for next year as well!

See you next week! 8)
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ixl

Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:27 pm

So.. where and when exactly is everyone meeting?

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

ixl

Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:57 pm

Still a definite maybe... is that the 3rd?

I thought the meetup was at Lewis Pond...

ixl

Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:46 pm

Ah okay.

I may meet the group for part of the day... still not really sure what I am doing.

I'm generally antisocial and like to do my own thing. :)

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:53 pm

hmmmmmm ixl: you could have fooled me! You were "quite" social at the Bennington Monument Meet-up in August :?:

Have you had a recent personality change? :wink:

ixl

Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:14 pm

Is Lewis Pond the place in the photos on page 1 of this thread? If so, I'm impressed... does look like a great destination.

Does anyone know where the exact overlook point is, or what the angle is that is looking at?

Also, how accessible is that spot, i.e. does it require a long hike?

ixl

Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:23 pm

PS Full moon or close to it next weekend. ;)

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:25 pm

ixl: The full moon is 100% on Saturday, October 3rd and October 4th! :shock: