WOW!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

autzig

WOW!

Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:20 pm

I just arrived in Burlington by air. The color on the mountains around Burlington was spectacular. I was awed as I looked out the airplane window. The color I saw all over was as good as the best color I saw last year and I really had to search for it.

I've been in Vermont in October in each of the last 7 years and this is clearly the best color I've seen.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:42 pm

autzig! Fabulous! I am in agreement with you 100%. Never saw such richness and brilliancy in the leaves in VT in my last ten years. The palette extremes are a feast for the eyes! Sometimes I just stare and soak it all in, forgetting the camera. I want to etch it into my memory!

I think the color of the leaves for all the different trees have reached the far end of each of their color spectrum for sure! Just taking a walk around my neighborhood this early evening, I have seen apricots, pinks, pumpkin oranges, scarlet, bright yellow and more. This is mother nature at her best!

A year to be reckoned with! :!:

Have a great trip!

Andy

Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:46 pm

Hey Al: You guys are making me Sooooooo jealous!!! Get some good ones for us if you can find time to sneak out. Those conventioners can do just fine without you :wink:
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

autzig

Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:22 pm

While the colors around Burlington were great, the trip from Montpelier to Concord were disappointing. Many leaves had fallen and there were a lot of bare trees. I suspect the only good color will be in the Champlain Valley.

We did take some detours from I89. Stopped in Sharon but the church there was being renovated with scaffolding around the steeple. We went to the Quechee Gorge which was OK but a lot of leaves had fallen from the trees. Our best photo op was at the Calvin Coolidge State Park. The color was very good except that it was almost exclusively yellow. Few reds or oranges.

The color in Southern New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Connecticut was still pretty good.

I will be done working in Hartford by 2:00 tomorrow afternoon. My wife arrives in Manchester, NH at 5:00 and I am on vacation. I'm still hopeful that there will be some good color along the Maine coast.

autzig

Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:54 pm

I am back from my New England business/vacation trip and I've posted some of my photos on my website at www.goldimagesphoto.com . While the color in the Champlain Valley of Vermont was beautiful, (I started this thread with that comment) my travels took me to Montpelier, Concord and Hartford before I started my vacation. Most of the colors were past peak. I did manage to get some good shots at Calvin Coolidge State Park near Bridgewater. The dominate color was yellow but it was still nice. I've put a couple of those shots on my site.

I know Andy and Carol are thinking about doing Maine next year so here are some suggestions. First, go to Amazon or Barnes and Noble and buy the book "The Photographer's Guide to the Maine Coast" This is a book by David Middleton. That book led me to all kinds of places I wouldn't have found on my own. It is an absolute must.

The Bass Harbor Light area was great. Not only the lighthouse but the rocky coast there generated some great photo ops and we ate at Thurston's in Bernard, on the other side of the bay from Bass Harbor. A great place to eat fresh lobster. I got some really nice shots at the little village of New Harbor. I added a couple of photos from there to my site. One of some colorful ropes and another of a wharf.

I know this is the Vermont site so if any of you want to continue this conversation, just send me an e-mail.

Al

Andy

Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:15 am

Al, some nice stuff on there. I bought the Middleton Book last winter and it is already flagged, dog-eared and highlighted throughout! I will use it as a basic game plan.

What I glean from my research is that you could spend a lifetime photographing in Maine and still not scratch the surface. I'll have a week. We'll hope for good weather.

It is a Vermont site, but we all have a common bond - we all love Vermont and those of us who don't live there, travel there whenever we are able. I would be glad to entertain photos and discussions by the members here of all of their photographs and photographic travels over on the photography site. I know there is a way to tie them to Vermont -- if not for "compare and contrast" purposes.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .