There IS foliage in the West!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Andy

There IS foliage in the West!

Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:35 am

While many of you enjoyed what sounds to be one of the better foliage years in New England (especially Vermont!), with my usual reverse intuition, I chose this year to go out West. My sister lives in ABQ, New Mexico, and I had only been out there one other time, in June, about 14 years ago. My other "trips" West have been by looking at photos with others.

I went in search of "foliage," western style. There is foliage out there. The primary culprit is the Aspen tree, which mostly turns yellow and gold, but occasionally fires up into a bright orange. Since I knew there weren't going to be the brilliant reds, oranges, yellows and in-between I am so used to seeing in Vermont (and in Northern Michigan), I looked for something more vast, with "western" mountains in the background. I was rewarded with not only that, but snow at the top!

I also was able to capture some of the "Southwest" flavor. This is "chili" season and the ristras were hanging everywhere!

And the best surprise of all -- The ABQ Balloon Fiesta!

I just added a lot of photos to my website if anyone is interested. They are in two locations: Landscape-New Mexico; and Cityscape. I know this is a "Vermont Foliage" site, but just for comparison -- its beautiful in its own way, but in the immortal words of Texas Senator Benston: "I know Vermont; Vermont is a friend of mine, and West, you are NO Vermont! :)
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

courtmel

Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:53 pm

Andy-

Where can I view your pictures? Also is there a site where fellow members display their shots?

Thanks,
autumn leaf

autzig

Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:42 pm

Andy, some very nice photos. I especially liked the balloons but the scenics were really nice too. I leave for Vermont tomorrow morning. I hope the color hangs on for a few more days.

Courtmel: Just click on the www button at the bottom of Andy's post for his site. The button will take you there. There really isn't a site for members to display their shots. You can go here: http://www.scenesofvermont.com/absolute ... egoryid=10 I don't know if this is still maintained or not.

Al

Andy

Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:13 am

Thanks, Al. The photos on my site don't really do justice to what I "saw." I tried a different workflow for reasons I won't get into :) , and didn't get my post-processing right. I'll be selectively re-doing a number of them over the next several weeks.

The balloons were the proverbial "low-hanging fruit"! I almost didn't go -- What a mistake that would have been. Just great, great colors and never-ending compositions. I understand that you are likely to find these conditions most days, most years -- early morning sun and clear blue Western skies.

Hope you'll still find some color. We have some nice color here in mid-Michigan, in spite of a dry late summer early fall, so maybe there's hope in the southern part of the state. Have a great time in Maine!

Courtmel: If my www link doesn't work for you, let me know and I'll PM you the site url.
Andy

Andy

Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:33 pm

Since I don't have any of the Vermont color, here are a couple shots of color in the Southwest (New Mexico) during the first week of October. I am disappointed with what the website I am using does to the colors on upload, but maybe your imagination helps. The Aspens are really yellow with occasional orange and even red tint.

Image[/list]
Andy

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:44 am

Hi Andy and Abby: I like the last one. The hills look like carpet. I've never seen foliage scenes with almost all the same color so this is very different but with it's own beauty. I have heard a lot about Aspens from friends who live in or have visited the area. As always, I look forward to your very professional photos!

CT

Andy

Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:02 am

Carol and CT: Thanks.

I am actually frustrated with the "linking" experience here (not anything to do with Tim's site -- it is great). But I have had to resort to uploading to internet websites and then linking there. I have tried the "free" ones. First I used a site called Phanfare. But I didn't like what its compression does to the photos. They just don't look "right." So I tried Picasa (I have a Google homepage and Google-based block, so it interfaces well). It STILL doesn't do justice. I get it looking good on my screen and upload it an Picasa makes it "blah" again.

Trust me, ct, there IS more color variety in those trees. Picasa just doesn't want you to see it:lol:

My personal website has "right click" disabled (I had them do that so others couldn't download as easily, and I am having problems now linking to it -- and, sadly, "communications issues" with my provider. He will be getting a lawyers "nasty letter" in the next few days. It that doesn't resolve it, I'll look at moving it.

But I digress :)

Carol: I don't know yet, which one(s) I'll print to hang. So far, all I have done is "quick and dirty" making a jpeg and tweaking. But I will have a couple, I am sure. We are thinking of the one with the pink chairs for our kitchen.
Andy