waterfalls in or near Stowe?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

pwt54

Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:10 pm

Park in the parking areas just above the Inn At The Mountain for Bingham Falls. It's a steep trail. Take route 100 north out of Stowe. About a half a mile past the Foxfire Inn you will come to straight section of road with a farm on the left. At the end of the straight section route 100 curves left and the Randolph Road comes straight at you on the right side. Take the Randolph Road and in about 500 feet you will see the Moss Glen Falls Road on the right. Drive this road until it curve sharply to the right. At the top of the curve is a small parking area. Park there and walk the trail to the falls. It's better than the other Moss Glen Falls in Granville.

autzig

Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:24 am

If you like waterfalls, do stop at Bingham. I'm looking at a 12x18 photo of it hanging on my wall right now. The falls isn't marked on the road so if there isn't anybody selling something in the pullout it isn't the easiest place to find but it is well worth the effort.

Andy

Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:34 am

Carol: I am probably too late if you are going today, but if Sunday is the day, maybe this will help. I photographed Bingham Falls this July. It is on the Vermont section in the Landscape Pages of my website. It is a little difficult to find. There is a pullout area to hike to a pond near there. Don't confuse that trail with the trail down to the falls. The pullout area is across the road from the trail (on the West side). Park there, cross the road and you'll see an unmarked trail. Don't worry, it is the right trail. Be prepared for some exertion. The trail starts out tame, but ends up with some pretty good drop, with "stairs" built in the trail with stones. Its not too bad going down, but you'll remember the climb back out. Well worth it, with a nice "horsetail."

I have always wanted to find Moss Glenn Falls in Stowe. I'll be interested in your "take" if you find it.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .