Who will be making a Fall 2008 Trip to Vermont?

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

Andy

Who will be making a Fall 2008 Trip to Vermont?

Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:40 am

The recent post by Al Utzig reminded me that there are a number of us who are not residents but make periodic (some annual) trips to Vermont (at least partly) to do photography. Sadly, I won't be there this year. Who IS planning a trip and when?
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

lirwin13

Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:21 am

I'll be visiting for at least Columbus Day weekend. With the color expected to peak possibly before that, I may try for the weekend before as well. I've never visited the Manchester area, and may try there the weekend after Columbus Day.

Laura

autzig

Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:54 pm

I will be visiting Vermont on my annual business trip but I won't have much time for photography. I arrive on the 13th late in the afternoon. I've got a meeting in Montpelier the next morning. I have the rest of the day to shoot photos on my way to Concord, NH where I have a meeting the following morning. I have to be in Hartford the same afternoon, another meeting in Hartford on Thursday morning and then I'm done. I have to confess though that my wife is flying in and I'm picking her up in Manchester. We're going to spend most of the next week along the Maine Coast. This is the first time in several years that I won't be spending two or three days in Vermont.

That said, I will be looking for some ideas, near the interstate between Montpelier and White River Junction.

Al[/i]

Andy

Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:29 pm

Laura: I was in Manchester 2 fall's ago. The Equinox is pretty impressive, as is the surroundings. Also, if you are there in the morning, the covered bridge in West Arlington, with the Grange Hall (looks like church) in the background would be a good morning shot. There are lots of other photo "ops" along the Battenkill in that area.
Andy

Andy

Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:35 pm

Hi Al: nice to see you back here again. Its surely fall, many of the old "regulars" who come for a couple months during fall foliage (like me :D ) are back.

I am planning a tentative trip to the Maine Coast (mostly Acadia and vicinity and maybe some "down East") in Fall 2009. I bought David Middleton's book and am really looking forward to exploring and photographing. Is this your first Maine Coast trip, or are you a veteran? If the latter, I let me know and I'll PM you for some "tips." Sort of off topic for "Vermont" but surely not for photography, so I am sure we would like to hear what you find this year.

As far as Vermont: I-89 Montpelier to WRJ: There is a very pretty, traditional white church in Sharon with a couple of huge, stately Maples in the front of it. Somewhat challenging to find a good POV, but worth a look. 2 years ago when I was there, the leaves were already off the Maples. Timing will be everything. It easy on and off the I there.
Andy

lirwin13

Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:04 am

I will be staying in White River Junction for Columbus Day. I've stayed at the Comfort Suites the last couple of years and found it to be perfect for my needs. Easy to go north or south from there or over into NH. I'm thinking that I will definitely head up the weekend before Columbus Day (Oct 3/4) now as well. I may try for a day trip to the White Mountains the last weekend in September. It's always exciting to start reading the foliage reports, but I get panicky about being there at "just the right time"! :)
Laura

Andy

Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:53 am

I know exactly what you mean about timing, Laura. I made two trips (2 consecutive years) and missed the "great" color both times. Being close enough to drive would sure be a plus.

Do you find that you are able to get a room in the Comfort Suites in WRJ on short notice? My thinking--when on a photo trip is I need a clean place to sleep and shower and plug my laptop and rechargers in. Other than that, I don't really need anything fancy since I arrive after dark and leave before light.
Andy

pwt54

Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:58 am

If you go to Manchester,VT you may want to try the Old Otis Road near Danby 4 Corners. Take route US 7 up to Danby and turn left to get into Danby village. Take the Brook Road to Danby 4 Corners and turn left onto the Danby/Pawlet Road. In about a 1/2 of a mile you will see the Old Otis Road on the right. A little ways up the road there is an old cemetery that is surrounded by some big old maples. It might be a good photo op. After there you will come up to a hillside farm with good views of the Green Mountains to the east. This road ends at the Mountain View Road in Tinmouth as the Wrights Road.

lirwin13

Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:38 am

I haven't had a problem with the Comfort Suites yet. I booked last weekend, and actually looked at the Comfort Inn first (I forgot it was the Suites I had stayed at before) and they were sold out, and the Hampton Inn had only smoking rooms left. I've found the prices to be the same at the Hampton/Suites for the fall season. They are both owned by the same company (along with a Comfort Inn in Lincoln, NH and several others) so I assume they would be about the same. I like the fridge/micro so I can get something the night before for breakfast before heading out "pre-dawn".

Thanks for the tips on the Manchester area; I hear it's nice, but have never ventured to that part of the state. It is mostly secondary roads coming from the Boston area, so I think knowing it will be a long drive has kept me from going. I'll check out the places that were mentioned!

Laura