A surprise in Brookfield

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

4sneau

A surprise in Brookfield

Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:39 pm

The colors in Central Vermont and New Hampshire have been absolutely spectacular for the last week! We drove to Brookfield to experience the floating bridge on Saturday. I was surprised that it didn't seem to "bob" at all, but my biggest surprise was on Ridge Road...where we encountered a large fishing boat and a dinghy tied up to a pier in the middle of a forest!!!
Well, they were in a clearing in front of the forest; there also was a torpedo afloat in the forest. Has anyone else run across this? I don't recall any mention of it, but my friend and I got quite a kick out of it. Anyone know the story behind it???

Shortly after that sighting, we had another stellar moment...we ran across a complete double rainbow in a gorgeous field outside of Randolph. The vibrant colors were glowing all around us. The cows were happy too!

4sneau

Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:32 am

Hi Abby,
I didn't, but my friend did. She, however, has an old digital camera, and does not have the attachment to download the photos from it onto a computer. Neither of us is knowledgeable about these things, but I will get some technical advice from my kids or try to convince her to have them put on a disk so that I can share them here.

The double rainbow WAS amazing. I flagged down cars, and pointed to the rainbow...just in case they hadn't noticed it. I don't know how anyone could have missed it, though. At least they got to see a double rainbow AND a crazy lady dancing around in the road!

MY friend also took pictures of the boats in the woods. It may take a while, but I'll post them someday.

Aspen

Special bridge!

Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:37 am

Abby and others on this forum, if you have not been to the floating bridge in Brookfield at Sunset Lake, make a note not to miss it next visit. No, it does not sway. You may either drive over it or walk on walkways on each side of the bridge. You may see water on the bridge :shock: that you drive through and algae which really is unusual. Stood there watching locals driving over. They probably were thinking odd thoughts about us gawking tourists. Expressions on faces of tourists driving over were really amusing! :lol: Took me awhile to build up the courage to drive over. Built up confidence only after a local fireman drove over. Our pictures of my driving over make a great conversation piece!
In Brookfield Village, on your left; at the entrance to the bridge is a white house. Take a look at it, water from Sunset Lake flows under its sundeck and water cascades behind the house on rocks like a lil waterfall...so beautiful! Very easy to miss!
My Explorer's Guide: Vermont by Christina Tree and Sally W. Johnson; published by the Countryman Press of Woodstock, Vermont mentions it is the only heavily used bridge of its kind in the U.S.
This guidebook also mentions a special event:
Last Saturday of January, there is a Brookfield Ice Harvest Festival:
ice cutting, ice sculpting, sledding, skating, skiing.

If visiting the floating bridge in Brookfield, don't miss the covered bridges nearby. Three are on South Randolph and six on Route 110 in the Tunbridge area. (or..if visiting the covered bridges first, don't miss the floating bridge in Brookfield)

Andy

Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:22 pm

4sneau: Her camera must have a removable card of some type. The oldest ones were usually either CF cards (which is still the most common for the "pro" DSLR's), or Sony Memory Stick or something like that. (Unless its one of those older than dirt models--like the Sony Mavica, which I think actually used a computer 2 1/4 floppy disk). Most places like Best Buy, Circuit City, Sears, Rite Aid, etc., sell card readers (most are multiple variety) for reasonably cheap. I have always thought that was a better way to download the photo files anyway. You might even be able to borrow one. They generally plug into the USB port on your computer.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

4sneau

Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:50 pm

Thanks Andy,
I'll let her know. I don't know what kind it is, but I do know it is old...a cast off of one of her kids'.