Stowe, Woodstock, Jacksonville?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

prabha

Stowe, Woodstock, Jacksonville?

Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:57 am

Could someone please suggest if 10/13 -10/14 weekend or the 10/19 - 10/20 weekend is best for the following regions - Woodstock, Killington, Jacksonville ? We are driving almost 8 hrs. so, just wanted to be more sure when better color viewing is anticipated.. Or are we already late for some of these regions? Pl. help us in deciding . Thanks . Prabha

KAA

Woodstock, Killington, Etc

Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:07 pm

Of all the places you mentioned Woodstock/Quechee is the best right now. Very good color in and around this area. Very crowded though. The ride over to Killington along 4 West is very nice. When you get to Killington it is a little past peak but still OK. Suggest you take route 4 to 100 south through Ludlow and Weston and come back to Woodstock via 100 north to Tyson road just north of Ludlow on Rt. 100 ( across from the Echo Lake Inn) over to 106 north back to Woodstock. That whole route will have nice color (and you can stop at Jenne Farm on your wy back it is looking nice right now.) Most leaves in this area have seemed to survive Thurs. night's rain storm OK. Good Luck

prabha

woodstock

Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:30 pm

Thanks KAA for your helpful suggestion. Based on your suggestion we are driving N. from New York city on 13th, Taking your recommended routes, to be back here by 14th night.. Can you suggest which best
scenic route should we take upto Woodstock?WIll it be good to come back via Franconia Notch or the Kancamagus Highway? I am so confused as I am v much new to the region. Thanks again . Prabha
prabha nagar

KAA

Woodstock, Killington, Etc

Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:22 pm

Are you coming up via I-91 or over from the NY side? If you are coming from I-91 then you can get off at exit 6 Rt. 103 to Chester then Rt. 11 to Springfield were you will pick up rt.106 north into Woodstock (26mi.) That is a long way however, it is scenic. You could take Exit 7 which puts you in Springfield and take 106 from there or Exit 8 (rt.131) west to 106 north, you get the point you need to find your way to rt. 106. If you really want to slow down the drive you can get off I-91 anywhere in VT and pick up Rt. 5 (it runs along I-91) and take it to RT 4 in White River Junction, Rt. 4 west will bring you to Woodstock via Quechee.

If you are coming from the NY just take Rt 7 through Manchester up to any of the route that get you to the east side of the state (11, 4 ,etc)

Regarding going home via New Hampshire, I am not really the person to ask and have not been there this year.

Hope that helps

autzig

Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:19 pm

Yesterday I was in Cavendish, Ludlow and Bridgewater where there was very good color. The best I saw was along 100A between the Calvin Coolidge State Park and the intersection of Hwy 4. The mountainside there was beautiful.