First time to Vermont

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

azeez_a

Thanks

Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:23 am

so much. Will do as advised.

azeez_a

Having a little difficulty...

Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:31 pm

As advised, I bought the Explorer's guide to Vermont and started reading based on the top spots provided by one of the posts - Peacham, Warren, Grafton, Newfane, Dorset, Craftsbury Common, Bennington, Woodstock, Quechee and the Gorge, Waitsfield, Stowe. Started reading up on Stowe.

I will be in Vermont between Oct 16th to Oct 20th. As advised, I have booked accomodation at Red roof inn at Rutland since one of the posts asked me to book in this region since the Fall color will gradually move South. Given the amount of information in this book and the number of different routes and posts, I am frankly confused and am probably going through an information overload.

Can someone help and advise on planning this 5 day trip at Vermont? Since my wife and I are expecting, we are more interested in seeing fall colors, exploring villages, seeing some country stores, covered bridges, scenic drives etc. and not much of hiking.

This is what my initial reading has indicated to do on one day at Stowe:

1. Explore Stowe village
2. Visit Ben and Jerry's ice crean tour
3. Take the scenic route to Smuggler's notch
4. Explore any covered bridges (Gold brook bridge?) in this area

Does the above look good for one day? If yes, then can anyone advise on an itenary for the other 4 days? Also, is there a scenic route from Rutland to Stowe? I heard that the toll road to Mount Mansfield will be closed around the time I come there. Is the road to Smuggler's notch very dangerous to drive? I don't want to risk anything given my wife's condition. I drive a Honda CRV. Hopefully, if it is not a very steep grade, my vehicle should be able to cover it. Please help with the other 4 days. I would appreciate it very much. Given that this is my first visit to Vermont, I really need your advise. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Azeez

azeez_a

Thanks...

Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:04 pm

so much. Will include this in my itenary and rethink the accomodation part. I would also love to get some more advise from other members on this forum too. Anyone else?

azeez_a

Woostock, Ludlow, Killington

Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:06 pm

Yes, I made a reservation for the whole stay (in fact made a reservation for 7 nights) at Rutland. Will Woodstock, Ludlow or Killington have fall color around the time I will be there (Oct 16th - Oct 20th)? If yes, I can possibly search for accomodations in these areas. Pls. advise.

pwt54

Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:28 pm

Killington and Ludlow will be gone by. But you have parked yourself in the right area for color. South of route US 4 and west of route US 7 will have good color. Also good color north of Brandon and west of route 116 in the Champlain Valley. South of route US 4, routes 7A, 30, 133, 140,153, and 315. If you have a VT Atlas, the back roads between Middletown Springs and Danby. North of Brandon, 17,30, 53,74,116, and 125. I had good luck on the back roads between Brandon and Vergennes, and Bristol and Hinesburg.

azeez_a

Thank you and...

Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:49 pm

...looks like I don't have to change my accomodation after all.