Does the scenes in the Kaplan book still exist on Cloudland

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

tremint

Does the scenes in the Kaplan book still exist on Cloudland

Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:32 am

I wish to take shots of farms scenery in the Cloudland Road near woodstock. Do they still exist? And when is the best time to visit there?

Here is a link of most of the snaps I would love to get. More details on the locations would be really great too
http://www.terragalleria.com/america/no ... t.all.html

pwt54

Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:30 pm

Yes it is. MSN use a photo of that farm in an article on foliage rides recently. Hopefully he'll have his 2 bright red Farmall tractors out when you are there.

Andy

Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:42 pm

Your question says "scenes" which suggest more than one. The Sleepy Hollow Farm is the only Cloudland Road scene I see on QT's site. This shot has actually changed some from the class Arnold Kaplan shot that is described in his book. The classic shot used the driveway down into the farm yard as a leading line (it looked like a road and until I was actually there last fall, I thought the driveway was actually Cloudland Road). The driveway is almost perpendicular to Cloudland Road. A couple years ago, the owner installed a modern, metal electronic gate near the road, which makes that shot no longer viable. QT Luong's shot (which I almost like better than Kaplan's--and for sure like better than mine--I didn't see it like he did) IS still there. It is taken from further South on the Cloudland Road. You might end up missing it but it is worth turning around and going back for the shot, IMHO. That pond you see the corner of is in front of the barns and as you drive by the front of the farm, you'll see the red IH tractor's pwt is talking about (hopefully --they weren't there when I was). You can also take a front-on shot--I did that--which will show the whole pond.

The other scenes on his site are all over the place.

The Red Barns with silos to the left is Hillside Acres. That shot is definitely still there and should be getting close to peak full foliage from what I am reading on the foliage forum. Look for my directions under the post titled PEACHAM/BARNETT AREA here in this forum.

The photo with the church in the middle and the barns on either side of a dirt road leading up to the church over a bridge is Waits River. Look for directons under WAITS RIVER/EAST CORINTH AREA in this forum. That shot is definitely still there. It is apparently hard to find in full foliage, though. I have missed it two years in a row during the first full week of October. Apparently QT did, too.

The East Corinth photos are still there. QT got up higher than I did and I am not sure how he did it. But there is a really nice shot from the top of a farm field that is easily accessible. Again, I have directions under WAITS RIVER/EAST CORINTH AREA here. NOTE: The East Corinth Shot is a MORNING shot. The others are mostly afternoon. Note, East Topsham is probably dissappointing. East Orange is marginal, but you may find an opening through the trees.

The shot in Stowe is really not viable anymore.

I have never been to the Jenne Farm (which is supposed to be the most photographed farm in the U.S.), but I know it is also a morning shot and when you get there, you will have to jockey for tripod position with 25 other photographers. It is South of Woodstock -- directions were given by PWT on the foliage forum a couple days ago.

Good luck.

If you are there to photograph, I have a multi-page pdf that I did which has directions and example shots for many of the Kaplan photos. PM me if you are interested.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Pentaxguy

Cloudland AKA Ridge Road photo ops

Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:37 pm

On the link you provided, there are several Cloudland Road (also known as Ridge Road) scenes. The Lee Farm, Sleepy Hollow - formerly the Gray Farm, and Pomfret Highland Farm (erroneously ID'd in one caption as Elm Grove Farm). All are mid to late morning shots....generally photogs go there after the dawn shots at the Jenne Farm south of Woodstock. One of the problems with Sleepy Hollow is the lack of foliage filling out the hill behind, although I've gotten some color on the trees that are there. A buddy and I were taking shots in winter at Pomfret Highland Farm. The guy who lives inside yelled at my friend telling him he had a gun and we were trespassing. Suffice to say, we quickly packed up and moved on. Further up the hill is Cloudland Farm, which the Kaplan book included. It was yellow in the classic shots, but the owners decided to make it a lovely drab brown. No need to stop. QT Luong's photos also include the Sherbourne Farm in Hewittville. That's really just up the road from Cloudland Road, past the Grandma Moses scene (some contemporary houses spoil the period motif there). It's not what it all used to be, but if it's your first time, it's still great. Some nice color in the area at the right time.

Andy

Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:58 am

Hmmn. Interesting. Now that I go back and look, I did see the Pomfret Highlands Farm when I was on Cloudland. It wasn't lit for the shot (it was backlit) and I remember thinking it would be a morning shot. I guess if I go back there, I better invest in a Kevlar Vest?

That's pretty surprising and disappointing. I lived in Vermont for many years and like everywhere, people are people. But mostly they are friendly. I do think maybe sometimes they just get sick of people traipsing around their private land. I know when I was in Peacham in 2005, I ran into a town official who noted that she owned the home at the top of farm field up the hill and had people walking around in her back yard, looking in windows, etc. She couldn't wait for the leaves to drop.

Reminds us that we--as photographers--have a responsibility to be courteous and respectful of others property. I have had good success with asking permission and offering to provide a print if I get a good result. Most folks just say go ahead.

I also didn't realize that Ridge Road and Cloudland were one and the same.

PG, are you a member of the 7 Hills Camera Club?
Andy

pwt54

Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:08 pm

If you folks get up to the South Albany Road, there is an interesting farm on the Centebar Road. It's the first road on the left after the South Albany Road.

Pentaxguy

Interesting Farm - in what town?

Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:35 am

In what town is the farm, and does "interesting" translate into a good photo opportunity? Also, is it a morning or afternoon shot? We appreciate your extensive knowledge of Vermont, and thank you for your timely advice.

pwt54

Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:05 am

It's in the town of albany,VT. It's a small farm in a hollow. The road is on the hillside above it and on the west side. I'd say the morning hours would be best. The sun will be behind a hill in late afternoon. There are small hills on each side of the farm and a small mountain behind it. I was there last Sunday but the colors were not ready. There was a spot of color just before the farm that I photographed. Just as I took the last photo a motel T Ford convertable came out of the shadows.

Andy

Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:37 pm

O.K., Found it. Its about 5 miles West of Albany, which is on VT 14. If you are in Albany, looks like you can take Water Street East (starts of 14 just South of town) about 1/2 mile to Hitchcock Hill Road. Turn right and follow it South for about 3/4 mile where it will take a turn to the left, heading West. In about 1 1/4 miles, you will reach an intersection of Pitkin and Page Pond Road. Turn right on Page Pond Road and take it to Creek Road at a place called Merrill Corner. Turn right on Creek Road, heading South. South Albany road begins just a few hundred feet to the South. Turn left (West) onto S. Albany and take to South Albany (about 1.5 miles). Turn left (North) onto Hartwell Pond Road and Centebar Road veers off to the left (North West) in just a few hundred feet. At South Albany, you must either turn North, or South, which continues on South Albany Road down to East Craftsbury, about 4 miles South of South Albany. Look right, Paul?

Looks like you could also get directly on Centebar from I-91 at Barton, (Exit 25) take VT 16 (Glover Road) North about 1/2 mile to Roaring Brook Road and turn left (West) on Roaring Brook. In about 1 3/4 miles, veer right (to the North West) onto East Albany Road and follow it (it becomes Barton Road about 3 miles West). Continue on Barton Road (generally, West) for almost 3 more miles. You will see Centebar Road on your left (to the South). If you hit Creek Road in East Albany you went to far. It is about 1/4 mile East of Creek Road. From there, it is about 2 3/4 miles to South Albany Road.

Now, Paul -- Where on Centebar is the farm? Also, which side of Centebar is the farm on (for the photographers, Centebar goes essentially North and South, but of course without being there, it is difficult to tell about bends in the road, or what direction the shot would be from.
Andy

pwt54

Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:03 pm

Warning! The street signs are missing on both the South Albany Road and the Centebar Road. I find it easier to take the Creek Road from Craftsbury Village. A few miles along you will see a cemetery on the left. The South Albany Road is about 500 feet ahead and on the right. When the South Albany Road ends turn left. The Centebar Road is the first left. The first farm will have the barn on the right and the house on the left. The next farm is the one I'm talking about. It's on the right side, down in a hollow. There are a lot of maples lining the road for the first mile or so. Both the cemetery on the Creek Road and on the South Albany Road are surrounded by big old maples also.