GROTON STATE FOREST

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

Andy

GROTON STATE FOREST

Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:28 pm

The Groton State Forest lies in the north central part of the state, due East of Montpelier. State Forest Road 232 runs North and South through the heart of the forest, between U.S. 302 to the South and U.S. 2 to the North. You can reach it from Montpelier by taking 2 East out of Montpelier about 18 miles. 232 is just East of Marshfield. It is just about the same distance from St. Johnsbury to the East. If you have been in the Peacham Area, you can continue South on the Peacham/Groton Road from Peacham (or the 4 corners where Peacham Road and the road to West Barnett intersect, down to Groton and U.S. 302. Take 302 West to the Groton State Forest Road (VT 232). This road is a treasure. There is a nice, small stream with a little waterfall just at the south end of the Forest Road, where you turn on, on a little stream called Wells River (which empties out of Ricker Pond just north).

The Pond is just 2 miles North of 302. Ricker Pond has all the makings for some spectacular reflection shots. We photographed it in the late afternoon. I wished I had my canoe, as the flat water looked beautiful and inviting.

About 6 miles further up 232 is the entrance to the New Discovery State Park and the Owl's Head Overlook. There are spectacular views after a short, but steep hike up to the summit. Views include a couple of large ponds (including Kettle Pond to the West), some wetlands, and mountains in the background. I’ll try to post a couple of record shots in the forum.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Andy

Owls Head Photos Posted

Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:52 am

I have uploaded two shots taken from the Owl's Head Overlook and another Ricker Pond reflection shot.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .