First time to Vermont

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

azeez_a

First time to Vermont

Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:17 pm

Hello All,

I am planning visit Veromont between Oct 15th to Oct 19th, 2007 to see some fall foliage. This is my first time to Vermont. Can anyone suggest where I should go to in Vermont during this time to see Fall at its full peak? Also, I would appreciate if someone can send some useful links / resources for getting to know about Vermont, important places to visit, regions in Vermont, good places to stay during the time I would be there etc. Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Azeez

pwt54

Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:04 pm

Last year I had some good luck between Vergennes and Brandon on October 16 . This is in the Lake Champlain Valley in West-Central Vt. This area is warmer than the rest of the state and turns later.

pwt54

Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:09 pm

Check my answer in the "too Late" post for some back road rides. Gotta go. The Reds Sox and (BOOOO) Yankees game is starting.

azeez_a

Thanks

Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:35 pm

Thanks so much. Let me check it out.

Vistaphotography

Re: First time to Vermont

Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:09 am

A lot depends on where you are starting and ending this trip. Are you landing in Manchester NH and driving in or maybe Burlington?
Once that is decided more specific help can be givien. I would say though that going from the burlington area down the west side of the state (Champlain Valley Area) and then explore the southern areas (Bennignton) along the Massachusetts border to see the color there. If the color isn't good enough there (passed or faded) then head in the bershires of MA. Most of the northern regions may be passed by these dates so I would have a plan in place to be able to head south as needed. Maybe get lodging in Quichee and use that as your staging area and each day head out from there.
Let us know if this helps. :)
azeez_a wrote:Hello All,

I am planning visit Veromont between Oct 15th to Oct 19th, 2007 to see some fall foliage. This is my first time to Vermont. Can anyone suggest where I should go to in Vermont during this time to see Fall at its full peak? Also, I would appreciate if someone can send some useful links / resources for getting to know about Vermont, important places to visit, regions in Vermont, good places to stay during the time I would be there etc. Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Azeez

azeez_a

More details...pls. help me plan

Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:27 pm

Hello,

Sorry that I did not provide sufficient details. I have the following days that I have taken off - Oct 15th through Oct 21st. I will be starting from NJ on the morning of Oct 15th. I am hoping that I can reach Vermont early afternoon. I need some advise and guidance on how long a stay is advisable, possible fall sightseeing / scenic roadtrips / routes during this time and activities. Also, several people have told me that 2 days should is good for Vermont. Given the additional number of days that I have, it will be useful if I could visit a few other places as well (e.g. New Hampshire, Maine, Boston etc.). Any advise on this wrt. the number of days, locations to visit, activities etc. will be very helpful. My wife is pregnant. So, I want to avoid any physical exertion activities like hiking, cycling etc. I am looking for a calm sightseeing trip. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Regards,
Azeez

Vistaphotography

Re: More details...pls. help me plan

Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:59 pm

Exactly how "pregnant" is your wife? You might not want to be out in the boonies if she is close to 9 months along.. :-)
Anyway the color will have moved down to the southern portions of Vermont by that time so you should probably not have the far to drive. I would suggest staying in southern vermont and New Hampshire. I think the following excerp from another forum will help a little
[I suggest that when you cross into Vermont on I-89 at White River Junction that you then leave I-89 and head west on US 4. The first place you'll come to is Quechee. Stop and walk over the bridge at Quechee Gorge. This is a narrow, deep canyon with a river flowing at the bottom. The colors should be beautiful around October 9th. Continue west to Woodstock. Woodstock is a great place in the fall, a beautiful Vermont town. There are great restaurants, art galleries, etc there. Woodstock is very popular during leaf season however and sometimes it's hard to find a place to park, but be patient: it's well worth stopping for. Leaving Woodstock, continue west on US 4 to West Bridgewater, then turn south on Vermont 100 which will take you into southern Vermont. Vermont 100 is one of the most beautiful drives in New England and the country, for that matter, especially in October. Another tip while travelling in Vermont or any of the other New England states in October: if you see an interesting road that leads off the beaten path, take it. Take all the back roads you can. You'll come accross a lot of hidden views, beautiful farms, and small villages that most tourists never take the time to see. Many times the local farmers will set up roadside stands selling freshly pressed apple cider (nothing like it!), homemade bread, honey, and cider donuts. Enjoy!! ]
Anyway all things considered if you stay on secondary roads you should have a great show of color and things to see. Also remember all those little general stores... They usually have bathrooms and thats one thing a pregnant woman can't pass up... :-)
azeez_a wrote:Hello,

Sorry that I did not provide sufficient details. I have the following days that I have taken off - Oct 15th through Oct 21st. I will be starting from NJ on the morning of Oct 15th. I am hoping that I can reach Vermont early afternoon. I need some advise and guidance on how long a stay is advisable, possible fall sightseeing / scenic roadtrips / routes during this time and activities. Also, several people have told me that 2 days should is good for Vermont. Given the additional number of days that I have, it will be useful if I could visit a few other places as well (e.g. New Hampshire, Maine, Boston etc.). Any advise on this wrt. the number of days, locations to visit, activities etc. will be very helpful. My wife is pregnant. So, I want to avoid any physical exertion activities like hiking, cycling etc. I am looking for a calm sightseeing trip. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Regards,
Azeez

azeez_a

Thanks...

Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:10 pm

for the post. Really appreciate it. By the way, when we get there, my wife should be 5 months pregnant. I think hiking is fine but I had rather avoid it and have long walks on level surface if at all possible.

How long do you think I would need to plan for a stay in Vermont?

Aspen

Go informed

Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:23 pm

Disagree that two days is all one needs to visit the state of Vermont! 2 days for a specific area of Vermont may work. On this forum, people refer to different areas of Vermont as e.g. Northeast Kingdom, Chaplain Valley, Central Vermont, Southern Vermont., etc Two days in a specific area would be better than a rushed two day drive through the state. But then, people have different reasons and interests for visiting Vermont. Your purpose and interest will help you decide if two days is enough for you. Recommend that you focus on a place in Vermont that meets your interest. From there, plan your visit. Most of all, go informed! Between now and your visit, read up on Vermont, check guide books ( highly recommend: An Explorer's Guide Vermont www.countrymanpress.com at your local library or bookstores, jot down places of interest, get a map of Vermont and plan driving routes. Continue checking this forum for information and advise. Planning ahead, you will have a better idea if all you need is two days. October 15-21, will provide you with a lot of time to enjoy many diverse areas of Vermont!
Wishing you both the very best as you anticipate the arrival of your baby.

azeez_a

I am open...

Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:52 am

...to even spending the whole week in Vermont. I was just saying 2 days because there were a few other people who were mentioning the same. But, if you suggest that I can spend a whole week (around 5 days) at different parts of Vermont and see the whole state, that is fine with me too. I would prefer that I spent quality time in looking around and seeing the many beautiful things that Vermont has to offer rather than have a rushed trip. As you suggested, let me read up a little bit more. Thanks for your help.

Andy

Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:46 pm

Azeez - As Aspen intimates, you CANNOT see the entire State of Vermont in a short number of days (2 or 5). You could drive most of the length of the state in that time on any one of the major roads, but that's not really "seeing Vermont."

Vermont has a couple of ranges which go North to South through most of the State. There are limited ways across them, which means it is rare that you can go straight from one place to another. In 2005, a friend of mine who has spent most of his life here in Michigan (where it is essentially flat -- at least compared to a mountainous state-- where most roads go either north or south and are often only 1/4 to 1/2 mile apart). He was surprised how long it takes to travel a set distance. We began to refer to distances a "Vermont Miles."

Also, as others have pointed out, you really need to get off the beaten path, and stop and get out and walk around and visit places. In a location like Peacham or Warren, you should plan to spend at least a couple hours. With driving time, that means at least 1/2 day each location.

Also, places like Stowe is a major tourist attraction and it is "high" season when you are there. You will have a challenge just finding a place to park at Cold Hollow Cider Mill. Traffic will be heavy and progress up into and through Stowe will be slow. But don't let that discourage you. All 3 places pwt mentioned are worth the stop. So is Main Street and the General Store, as well as the Trapp Family Lodge. You could easily spend up to 2 days, just in Stowe.

I think the key to a successful trip is to plan 2 or 3 specific destinations (areas) and plan your time accordingly.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

azeez_a

Thanks

Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:24 pm

Thanks for the post. As mentioned, let me try to see if I can get my hands on the guidebook suggested. Really appreciate the help.

azeez_a

Where to stay in South?

Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:37 pm

Based on the advice, looks like I need to stay in the Central / South area since I will be there from October 15th for 5 days. If I do day trips everyday to different places based on all the different routes posted (thanks for all your help), where would you suggest that I stay? Also, should I book now or can I pretty much drive up and take a room. I don't really care about the type of hotel as long as it is cheap, safe and clean. Thanks in advance for your help.

Andy

Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:01 pm

Book now. Its "prime time" there (although probably by Oct 15 things will have slowed a bit).

Stay South. Of course this is a proverbial "crapshoot," but The foliage progession generally starts in the North in the last week of September and works its way South. Likewise, it tends to start in the higher elevations and work its way down (although there are exceptions, like the comment made elsewhere about the swamps). But by the 15th and after, your best bet is going to be in the South.

If you stay anywhere around Route 4, you can be flexible enough to head South, but if there is still color in Central Vermont, its not far to drive. Killington could be pretty good then -- though it is a higher elevation. You may have some luck finding lodging in Rutland (it is a larger community and more likely to have hotel/motel accomodations).

From Rutland you can travel down 7 and/or 7A to Manchester Village, Equinox, Arlington, etc. Its beautiful country with lots of sights to see. You are also in easy striking distance of Woodstock and Quechee Gorge.

You can also drive Route 100 either South to Weston with lots of views along the way, or North, toward Granville, Warren and Waitsfield.

Or drive south of Woodstock on 12 or on 106.

Others may have some other suggestions of where to stay. Good luck with reservations.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

azeez_a

Thanks

Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:54 am

for the help. Let me go ahead and arrange my reservations. I am also planning to put together an itenary and post it here so that the gurus here can advise if it makes any sense.