Fall MUST be On It's Way.....

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

courtmel

Isn't It Grand?

Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:52 pm

I can't wait to see, smell, and feel the first changes in the air and on the trees. This is the best time of the year for me. Hopefully this will be a more vibrant autumn than last year. We are planning to come up early for us; Oct 3-Oct 7 since we always wish we were earlier. Also our home base will be White River Junction this year. I will miss Mendon Mountain and the nice folks like Marilyn who work there. I am sure we will pop in to say hello when we go to our favorite breakfast place Sugar & Spice.

How do you think the summer weather has effected the trees?

Let the countdown begin...

Autumn leaf
autumn leaf

bobbav

Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:08 pm

It's funny how we long for the 'Dog Days of Summer', then can't wait for the Autumn season to begin!

For me and my wife, it's looking forward to those crisp, clear, autumn days when a sweater and hot coffee are a welcome change to bathing suits and cool drinks. There is something special about that nip in the air - visiting country stores and taking long, scenic drives along leave-clattered roads. We love this so much that we actually moved from Clinton, CT where we were 1 mile from the beach, to Killingworth, CT - which resembles Vermont in almost every aspect without actually being there!

For the last several years, we have visited the Inn at Weston in Weston, VT, and have just fallen in love with that area. Maybe it's because it was the first 'Inn' we visited, but we never caught a clear weekend! We visit during the second weekend in October.

Anyway, here's to (hopefully) a beautiful autumn season..... :wink:
Bob

Live life as if each day is your last!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fall is definately coming to CT!

Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:53 pm

There are many trees changing in West Hartford where I live. These are not stressed or diseased trees or ones close to the road. We have had many cool nights and last night was one of them. A lot of the trees are beginning to mute in color as well. When I awoke this a.m. with all the windows open, I could tell fall was in the air. So exciting! And today was a day made in heaven! Autumn will not come soon enough for me. I have begun to sift through my fall decorations in anticipation of my favorite season. Has anyone else noticed leaves changing in their area? Anyone else feeling the excitement of this wonderful season approaching? :D

bobbav

Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:20 pm

There are a very few trees here in Killingworth and surrounding towns where I see some very minor color. My lawn actually has some fallen leaves, yellow in color, but I think that is due to tree-stress more than an early indication of fall.

My wife also decorates the house for each season, and fall and Christmas is her favorite. Every aspect of the house is 'trimmed' (stairs, mantels, cabinets, cornices, etc).

It was cool here as well last night, and one can only think of Fall when it gets like that.

For us, we just installed a pool this year (which took over 3 months to complete!), so the thought of the approaching cold season actually gets us 'down'!!!!!
Bob

ctyanky
Board Admin

Great place in Granby - day trip/apple orchard/farm kitchen

Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:48 pm

Bobbav: if you and your wife want to take a great side trip on a fall journey north, stop in North Granby to Lost Acres Farm! here is the link.

http://www.lostacres.com/

It is on a beautiful country road and has an apple orchard and amazingly enough, a full kitchen/bakery on the premises. You can smell the apple pies cooking before you get to their location! They have exceptional mums and lots of pumpkins and you can sit on their porch and eat fresh apple crisp and cider in the fall. Their apples are delicious. Lots of fall type foods in the kitchen for sale along with jellies, etc. You can't imagine seeing this bakery near the orchard in the country. I go a couple of times in the fall and take a different friend along with me each time. They are all amazed when we get there! Go on a cool morning if you are headed up north and stop there and find out when the tractor rides start through the orchard. Be sure to follow the directions to a T. I took a friend from California and he said it was a true hidden gem.

bobbav

Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:01 pm

THANKS! We are always looking for those 'last minute rides', and this one sure looks worth the trip.

Just last night, I was surfing Vermont Real Estate listings, 'fantasizing' when the day comes when I retire there! That's a long time from now, but it doesn't hurt to set your sights on something worth living for!

Thanks again....
Bob

ctyanky
Board Admin

Another exceptional Vermont foliage event.

Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:17 pm

Bob: I must share another fabulous place/event from my Vermont travels. A couple of years ago I spent a glorious weekend in the Northeast Kingdom in Peacham. Talk about fall splendor! Never before have I been to such an area of autumn beauty. They have a series of festivities going on for a whole week in different towns. Peacham, Barnets, etc. Lots of church suppers that were awesome. We planned on going to this fabulous fall festival in Danville and it turned out to be one of the best local fall festivals I have ever been to in all my Vermont travels. Here is the link below. Also, Lake Willoughby: WOW. If scenery this amazing can bring tears to my eyes it must be worth it! You definately have to stay there a couple of days to get it all in........Hope you can go.

http://www.autumnonthegreen.com/

bobbav

Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:44 pm

AWESOME! When we visit Weston, we are getting kind of bored of the same 'ol trip to Queechie (Simon Pierce Glass and Queecie Gorge. These towns are ones we never visited, so I will be sure to add them to our list.

In fact, I started another post in the forum to try and elicit info just like this. Thanks for sharing. I wish I had more places to share, as well.

One thing is for sure, we (along with many others), share that special feeling that the upcoming season seems to bring. Too bad it only lasts a few, very short weeks :cry:
Bob

ctyanky
Board Admin

Gorgeous sneak preview fall day here in CT!

Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:58 am

Wow! It's 55 out at 8 a.m. and gusty winds! This is a perfect fall day here in CT and I have my LLBEAN sweatshirt on so this means FALL for me. Chrystal clear blue skies and beautiful after a storm last night. Took a ride way out into the country last night for a church supper in North Canton and signs of change in the trees there even surprised my sister. Mums are out everywhere here. This is great!

bobbav67

Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:24 am

I know! I was actually out right before the storm struck in Killingworth (1 AM) to close the umbrellas in the tables. We are surrounded by woods where we live, so it looked like a November day on Saturday with all the leaves on the ground (albeit, green!).

Our mums are actually starting to show signs of buds on them, but they haven't opened their eyes yet. I'll know it's fall when they come to close our pool!

courtmel

It's Almost Here!!!

Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:27 am

Hi All-

Yes, I have seen some leaves that have turned red/orange in Newtown, CT. These are the trees that are my harbinger of autumn every year. Our nights have been getting cooler, thank God. Hope it is not just a tease-I can't wait for September to arrive. That is when I really get psyched out. I would love to alternate between autumn and winter all year long. Forget spring and summer! We have reservations in White River Junction for Oct 3-Oct 7 and always go the Wednesday after Columbus Day but feel we should have been a few days earlier. We always stay in Killington for our base but this year we will try White River. Anybody ever stay there? Info on roads, restaurants, orchards, etc. would be appreciated.

Autumn leaf
autumn leaf

Hollie

Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:12 pm

Hi everyone!

I am so excited about the fall season approaching! I am in NYC and except for the chilly weather, there is no sign of fall.

We're heading to Vermont earlier this year (Oct. 5-8). We usually stay in Killington but we're looking to venture elsewhere.

bobbav

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:22 am

COLOR ALERT!!!!!

I drove into my driveway last night, and sitting there all by itself was a lonely maple leaf - red/yellow/and orange!!!!

I was going to take a picture of it and post it....

Are we pathetic or what!!!! :lol:
Bob

pwt54

some early color

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:33 am

Last Sunday I wandered the back roads between West Ruland and Arlington and noticed some early color. Most of the trees were next to the road or in wet areas, but some were in places I did not expect to see trees turning. I did not see this up north. It has been a cool summer this year.

courtmel

Some Early Color! Yeah!!

Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:48 am

Hello pwt54-

I was so glad to read what you wrote about spotting some early color. Now that we are nearing the season we live for, what can you tell us about the how this summer might effect our beloved leaves. What is your valued opinion on what we can expect? Also as you know I am coming up earlier this year; Oct 3-Oct 7 and staying in WRJ. I want to check out the Peacham/Topsham area and anywhere else you might suggest. How far away would we be from Groton as I would like to check out that church supper on Saturday, Oct 6th. So you have had a cool summer, hey?. Are you getting ready for your trip down south?

Autumn leaf
autumn leaf