WAITS RIVER/EAST CORINTH AREA

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

Andy

WAITS RIVER/EAST CORINTH AREA

Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:10 pm

WAITS RIVER-E. CORINTH AREA. I have posted new images of E. Corinth and E. Topsham in the Contributors area. My Waits River Shot is already there, as is my shot of East Orange. This area encompasses 4 of the “Kaplan Scenics,” and can be covered in a good day. Waits River and East Orange are best photographed in the afternoon. East Corinth is best photographed in the morning, as is East Topsham (East Topsham is one of the few locations Kaplan described as having both morning and afternoon vantage points. There are roads uphill from the village to both the East and the West. However, the afternoon view is no longer viable. Richardson Road is a north-south dirt road that goes steeply up a hill to the South from the Powder Springs Road which heads West (then eventually North to Groton) from the center of the village. However, the former views down to the village (probably much “better” views and shots of the this particular village than the shots from behind and to the East) are now completely obscured by new growth saplings (at this writing most of them from 2 to 4 inches in diameter) where there was once a clear view. You can shoot the village from the Powder Springs Road, but not with the effect that you once got from up on Richardson Road.

My best photograph of Waits River came in 2005. Unfortunately, the beautiful foliage is mostly green in the shot. I was able to “pull” some of the early color out of it using my rudimentary Photoshop “skills.” I arrived here about 3:00 in the afternoon. The Waits River Road is Vermont State Road 25, which goes to the Southeast from U.S. 302 Southeast of Barre to Interstate 91. When you come into the village, you turn Southwest directly across from the church (right turn if coming from the North; left if from the South). Go the very short distance down the road and across the little bridge (see photo) and back up the hill a short way. Turn around and you’ll see the shot. There is currently some excavation being done near the area. Hopefully, there won’t be some development which will obscure this traditional scenic. My illustration does not show the power lines and utility “stubs” (a nice, bright orange) which unfortunately appear in the foreground. There is also a stop sign at the end of the road as you turn back onto the Waits River Road. I took the liberty to do some “retouching” in Photoshop to remove those items. There are a number of shot perspectives that work here, using the bridge as a leading line into the photo. This remains an imminently viable photo scenic, and is very easy to find and get to.

Ironically, I found a better shot of East Orange this year (in 2005), probably largely due to the leaf drop. When I reached Waits River on October 9, most of the color was gone, and in its place, bare trees. This proved to be an advantage for E. Orange. This is another Village that seems “essential Vermont” to me. It is a very small village with nothing but a church, some farms and some homes. The church, however, is rather unique in that it is a multi-colored structure and a little more complex looking than the traditional “New England” white steepled church. East Orange Road goes West from Waits River Road, just to the North of the Village of Waits River. It is a small road, partly paved, partly dirt, and is a bit difficult to see. It actually has a “Y” with approaches from SR 25 from the North and from the South. Follow the East Orange Road a short distance to the village. At the church, turn left, and take the first dirt road to the left up the hill. This is called Maplewood Road and gives a nice view high above the village. However, this is one of the “Kaplan scenics” that is now marginal. Like the former view from Richardson Road in E. Topsham, there is a lot of new growth foliage which has obscured the former clear view. There is kind of an uneasy tension between foliage and color, which significantly obscures the view to the village and church, and lack of foliage, which gives more views, but less of what many of us come to Vermont in October to view and photograph--fall color. Worth a scouting trip and there is time during the same day to scout and probably photograph both East Orange and Waits River, though you may have to make a choice of which is more important to wait for the “magic” light.

East Corinth is a shot which should be taken a sunrise and you should plan to be in place just before. I scouted the area a day before, just to know I could get there, and to look at different perspectives. This is a shot (like Peacham Village) which is taken from an expansive farm field which is to the East of and slightly above the village. You can walk up through the field and get to the upper edge near the tree line and move around to obtain different perspectives of the church, barns and village. I wasn’t able to get to East Corinth in the morning in 2005. Unfortunately, when I did get there this year (2006), most of the foliage on the hillside behind the village was gone, and the day was mostly cloudy.

East Corinth is about a mile north on the Corinth-Topsham Road which goes (at a 45 degree turn, coming from Waits River), North from Waits River Road. The East Corinth General Store is right there at the intersection. Drive through the village to the North end and turn into the circular drive for the Masonic Temple (an old church) on the Right (East). You can park there, but observe the signs about not blocking things. The field is up the hill behind the Masonic Temple and over to the right. This is certainly a very viable “Kaplan Scenic” and should continue to be for the foreseeable future. In my view, it is much better than the E. Topsham shot, so should be attempted first. There will still be time to continue the mile or two up the road to the E. Topsham morning location.

East Topsham is a location which I have some mixed feelings about. East Topsham is a mile or two north up the Corinth-Topsham Road. The “morning view” is up the road immediately to the right of the “church” in the village. Go up the hill past the house at the top and turn around. The road continues up, but is a narrow dirt road, so it will pay to find a place to turn around. I parked up the hill past the house at the top, to avoid being a nuisance to the owners of the house, and walked down to find my best perspectives to photograph the village from this side. I don’t think this side provides the best views.

It is my feeling that the best views of the village were from up on Richardson Road, up the hill to the West of, and above the village. The main buildings are now some type of bed and breakfast or shop, rather than a church or municipal building. They have been recently re-roofed with standing seam metal that is a bright red. The view which is still viable, from the hill up behind the village, offers a more cluttered view, and more of a challenge, photographically. Like East Orange, I believe that the more foliage present, the less open views to the important subject areas of the photo scenic (I was not there in the morning in 2005, when full foliage was present). Thus, I would judge this location marginal.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

pwt54

Re: WAITS RIVER/EAST CORINTH AREA

Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:45 am

I have mixed felling about mentioning West Newbury to you. I take a different type of photo than you seem to prefer and I haven't been there in the fall. It does seem to have some of the things you like. A small forgotten place with a church, some farms and long views to the east. If you want to give it a try, take the Snake Rd off route US 5 in South Newbury.

Andy

Re: WAITS RIVER/EAST CORINTH AREA

Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:11 am

Certainly worth putting on my list of places to check out. I think there is a "Kaplan" scenic in Newbury, also (The Placey Farm) which had a reflection shot. Again, the exemplar photos I have seen were Kaplan's, probably taken many years ago. I'll put it on my places to see for my next trip.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .