Foliage and water

Discussions on Equipment, Locations and Tips for getting the photographs you want of Vermont scenes.Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, admin

rpk4398

Foliage and water

Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:29 pm

I'm working on capturing foliage with water, e.g. misty ponds, waterfalls, and rippling streams, etc. I also find abstract color reflections in water can be done on bright sunny days. PWT provided some location suggestions in the other forum, but more would be appreciated. Also ideas and techniques would be nice here.

Heather Forcier

Re: Foliage and water

Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:40 pm

I find the best part of photographing fall colors is just driving around, exploring new parts of the state that I never knew about. That's how I happen upon some of the scenes to photograph.

For capturing moving water, you can try slower shutter speeds to create a pleasant "blur" effect. You might have to bracket a bit, but I'd probably start out with 1/15th of a second or so and see what it looks like. This can look really neat - like soft mist - over the rocks of a streambed. It's fun for waterfalls, too.

GIC

Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:52 am

Hi Heather and all,
I’m pretty much the same way. I wander around in the fall time letting my eyes guide me to wherever they may take me.
Heather, I have to say, I have heard of you before and have seen your photography. For me it is a great honor to have you here and interact with you. Your photography is truly a unique work of art.

Tip:
During fall when temperatures have been at least in the low to mid 40’s consecutively for at least three nights or even if there has been frost and you know that the next day temperatures will be climbing into the 60’s, expect fog. The fog will rise from wet ground areas such as fields, lakes, ponds, streams, and rivers. If you can be on location prior to sunrise of where these conditions exist you will be in for some eye candy.

I have found it interesting to photograph fall foliage in fog, vapor, misty or light rain conditions. Those type conditions can create some breathtaking photos.
With fog you can capture rays of light passing thru colorful tress.
Vapor rising from water bodies combined with reflections can be awesome shots.
Sometimes you can capture the fog or vapor rising from the roofs of barns and farmhouses. Just use your imagination.

admin
Site Admin

Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:48 am

So, I guess from what you are saying we have a busy weekend ahead of us..not lolling around in bed this weekend..up and at them real early!

)

Tim

pwt54

Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:00 am

Well, I've finally found time to check out this forum. One pond that may have some good shots at sunset is Belvidere/Long Pond on route 118 in Eden. There is a large hill in back with a small hill just in front and just to the left. At sunset the light hits the large hill and misses the small one. The hills have good color on them.

Andy

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:17 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I saw a "reflection" photo of this pond last year and it was one of the only shots that showed some good color that I saw last season. I plan to be there on either Oct 7 or 8. I wasn't sure whether it was an afternoon shot or a morning shot. This information helps.

This is exactly the type of post (a subject, location and time of day) that is my vision for a board like this.
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Andy

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:25 am

For those not already familiar with this site, this is a pretty good compendium of waterfalls of the Northeast. It generally gives directions, whether the falls are private or public, and some information about the shot. Some have example photos. http://www.northeastwaterfalls.com./
Andy

pwt54

Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:40 pm

I looked over Belvidere Pond this afternoon and it still looks early. Might be good next week.

KAA

Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:09 am

I have been viewing these forums for the last couple of years, this is my first post. Here a some lakes,ponds, streams I have found are nice when there is a mist/fog present. Kent Pond just across Rt. 4 from the Killington Access road is nice, heading east make a left onto Thundering Brook Rd. about a 1/4 mile after the access road. There is also access to the west side of the pond from Rt. 100 1/4 north of Rt.4 make sure to head into the woods on both the east & west end for waterfall/stream shots. The pond itself has a few small islands in the middle and Killington moutain as a back drop.

Silver Lake in Barnard is also nice. It is on Rt. 12 about 10 miles north of Woodstock. Set-up right across the street from the general store.

The back side of Echo Lake on Rt.100 in Tyson is nice (5 miles north of Ludlow). Heading North on Rt. 100 make a right on Tyson Road at the Echo Lake Inn and look to your left as you travel or head into the State Park on the backside with a beach. You can continue on Tyson Road for another 4 miles and on your right will be Colby Pond.

If you feel like walking you can head up to the top of Mt. Tom in Woodstock about .9 mile along the trail in a small pond, after your done there continue up to top to overlook Woodstock. Fog photos are also nice on a 1/2 mile strech of River Road along the Otterquechee river before the (heading east) Taftsville covered bridge.

if your doing stream photos don't forget your Neutral density filter, they come in very handy.

pwt54

Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:19 am

I just thought I should warn you. Looking at the maps you will see a Mud Pond in Granby, VT that might interest you. Forget it. The mud is still there but the pond is gone.

pwt54

Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:47 am

Okay folks. I've been reluctant to tell you about this, but I see we have some serious "pitcher takers" here. Lewis Pond ! The best way to get to Lewis Pond with a car is to Take the Henshaw Road off route 105 east of island Pond. You could take the Stone Dam Road but it is rougher and the foliage is not as good. The Henshaw Road is on the north side of route 105 just east of the Lakeside Campground In Island Pond,VT. When you go by the old farm now used as a snowmobile clubhouse the road gets lonely and wooded. Look for a road on the right about 3 miles past this farm. Drive this road to the end and turn left. Drive this road a little ways and turn left again. This is the Lewis Pond Road. In about 3 to 4 miles this road takes a Hard right turn. There is a camp on the inside of this curve and a road coming in on the left side. Turn right and in about a half a mile look for a small drive on the left. This is the unofficial boat access to Lewis Pond. Go down and check out the pond. But the best shot is ahead. Drive the Lewis Pond Road to the end. (If it's not washed out) You are now in a gravel pit at the base of Gore Mountain. You will be looking down on Lewis Pond with a long view to the southeast. Only the Henshaw road has a road sign for it. The others are unmarked.

rpk4398

Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:32 am

Thanks for everyone's inputs.

Yes, I have been using long exposures (on a tripod) to capture silky water falls and rippling streams. Pray that there is no breeze and the foliage is still. Spot meter on the brightest water area and dial down two stops. That's how I preserve highlight details on transparencies.

Fog and and mist can only be prayed for (yes, I pray to the photo gods often). I count my blessings when I encounter them and shoot a lot. Knowing the locations is necessary but insufficient for such shots. More often than not, I can return to the same locations at the same times but weather just won't cooperate. But I keep trying and have learned not to be disappointed.

Just started shooting reflections in water. What I have learned is that the foliage must be lit for it to be reflected in water. Sounds obvious now that I have it figured out.

Don't have any VT spots to share. But here are a few fav NH ones around White Mountain: Beaver Pond, Coffin Pond, Falling Water Trail, Cascade Falls Trail at the Basin, Sabbaday Falls, Rocky Gorge.

Pray before shooting.

Andy

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:51 am

PWT, would you say this Lewis Pond shot (the second one) is "car friendly"? or only for high ground clearance vehicles?
Andy

pwt54

Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:46 pm

When I was up there last May it was car friendly. That's why I used this route. You can get to Lewis Pond from the Stone Dam Road off route 105 in Bloomfield, but there are stones sticking up that could be a problem for a car.

Andy

Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:37 am

Sometimes the real photo ops are in places we don't expect or "off the beaten path" (much as Heather said, often by exploring places you haven't been). In October, 2006, I set out down Route 100, south of Waitsfield, headed for Moss Glen Falls. While I know there have been many "iconic" photographs taken here, I was mildly disappointed, at what I felt was a kind of "ho hum" photo op. But almost by accident, I discovered what may have been one of the best waterfall and stream photo op I have ever stumbled on.

I wish I had pinpointed this better, but its easy to find. There is a small stream which comes off the mountain north of Moss Glenn Falls and follows and crosses Route 100 several time, called Alder Meadow Brook (there is also a shorter brook called Deer Hollow Brook, but I am reasonably certain I photographed Alder Meadow Brook). A few miles north of the Moss Glen pullout, there is a picnic/rest area on the East side of the road. Driving south toward Granville, I was on the lookout for any color. It was an overcast day, between 7:00 and 8:00 a.m., and I spotted this brook with a touch of color behind it (unfortunately, the color was from ash/beach/oak leaves and not maple -- the story of both of my trips in 2005 and 06).

Instead, what I discovered was cascade after cascade of small waterfalls, with fascinating colors, swirls, and opportunities to use technique on fast moving falls, with rock, moss, and leaf backgrounds. I only spent about an hour there, as I wanted to make my destination (Moss Glen). I have posted 2 shots in the photographers area. I am working on another shot in Photoshop right now. I should have stayed and kept exploring, as I could hear the next cascade downstream. Vermont is littered with these small mountain streams (some of them with no name) and opportunities to photograph water.
Andy