Bad Info

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Bluejacket

Re: Bad Info

Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:26 pm

Was in the Champlain region today and it looks to be peak right now. New York side near Crown Point has some good color also, dont know what it will be like in the next 5 days, but there may still be hope. Yesterday, everything east of the Green Mountains is bare, but once we crossed over to the west side, there was still some green. Area's around Bristal and Middlebury (apologize if spelling is incorrect)still seemed to have some color left in them.

pwt54

Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:59 pm

I agree with bluejacket. I was over there this today. I was just going to check the snowgeese and couldn't believe the color from Burlington south to route 73 between Brandon and the Lake. I don't know if the colors will stay until next weekend. If the winds calm down it might last. There was a small flock of snow geese at the Dead Creak Wildlife Area on route 17, about 1 mile west fo route 22a in Addison. The flock was bigger when I went back at 4pm. And they were lively. Moving from the south field to the north field.

irishes

Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:49 pm

blue jacket and pwt 54, you are giving me hope. I will contact the website on Thursday before we leave Friday morning. We plan to be driving in southwest vermont on Saturday morning. With any luck at all there will be some color for us. Vermont is the place we most wanted to visit. I've seen the pictures of the leaves and they are breath taking. Hopefully I can get a few pictures of my own. Thanks again I'll be in touch on Thursday and hopefully someone can give us some directions on where to head. Cindy
Cindy

Bluejacket

Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:26 pm

I spent most of yesterday back in the Champlain region. Rt 17 from Lake Rd to 7 (I believe) was the best....the sun backlit the tree's and hill side and there was a ton of orange! You can see the pictures from my trip on my website. I was there from the 13th until I flew back this morning.

http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/gallery.asp?memberID=88344

This one was off of RT 7
http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/big.asp?photoID=2863713&catID=&style=&rowNumber=3&memberID=88344

Also got some shots of the snow geese on Sun.

Bluejacket

Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:28 pm

Opps, meant 17 on the last picture

irishes

Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:47 pm

Looks beautiful to me. Of course after seeing the postings of not must color I have to remember that the people from there are used to the great color so they expect it. From Arizona any color at all will be great for us.
Do you happen to know of any place in Southern Vermont where we could possibly rent bicycles and maybe a place that would be particulary interesting to see.
Thanks for the pic's they are awesome
Cindy
Cindy

Bluejacket

Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:07 am

Unfortunately I dont. I live in Columbus and was visiting my dad over the weekend, so unfortunately I dont know the area outside of a map lol.

bvahjen

Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:37 am

Cindy, if you can make it to southwestern Vermont, you will see some color. It may take a little while, but if you could get as far south as Manchester there are some excellent shops and outlets as well. There is also horse back riding in Danby that we did a few years back which is fun no matter the foliage. I have a cabin in chester and it was still nice there last weekend. I am in Connecticut right now and it is awesome here. If you did your trip and then came down through VT/MA/CT and NY and went home on Jet Blue from JFK you would see it all, but I don't know if you are that flexible.

irishes

Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:56 pm

troutmaster, we are very flexible and your suggestions sound perfect. Infact that was pretty much the order in which we were going to vistit places so we could get the most color.
Thanks for the tip on horseback riding, that sounds like fun.
Cindy
Cindy

ixl

Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:25 pm

Cindy.. it's not a banner year and there is plenty of leaf drop, but still lots of color in the Bennington area.
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

bvahjen

Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:46 am

Cindy if you go that way, route 7 goes through some of the nicest parts of western VT/MA and CT. You will pass through Danby VT, Manchester VT, Williamstown MA, Sturbridge MA, Canaan CT, and Kent CT. Kent Falls State Park is at peak now. From Danbury CT you could take 84 West to 684 south to the Hutchinson River Parkway back to the city. Good luck!

irishes

Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:04 am

Would you say it's a couple hundred miles from Danby Vt to Kent Ct? Can this particular drive be done in a day or should we plan a couple of days?
Thanks
Cindy
Cindy