Fall Foliage Trip--Oct 2000

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Fall Foliage Trip--Oct 2000

Wed Jul 12, 2000 2:28 pm

I am planning on bringing my 81 year-old mother to New England for fall foliage viewing during October 2000 and am really lost trying to plan it. She is from Arkansas and has never had a vacation. My father was killed in a car wreck when I was in high school and she was left to raise 5 of us still in school by herself. The is the only trip she has ever wanted to make. We will be flying from my home in Tulsa, Oklahoma, possibly with a couple of my siblings. Any ideas on where to go, what to see, where to fly into, where to stay, etc., would be greatly appreciated.<BR>

svmoderator

Re: Fall Foliage Trip--Oct 2000

Thu Jul 13, 2000 8:09 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom:<B>I am planning on bringing my 81 year-old mother to New England for fall foliage viewing during October 2000 and am really lost trying to plan it. She is from Arkansas and has never had a vacation. My father was killed in a car wreck when I was in high school and she was left to raise 5 of us still in school by herself. The is the only trip she has ever wanted to make. We will be flying from my home in Tulsa, Oklahoma, possibly with a couple of my siblings. Any ideas on where to go, what to see, where to fly into, where to stay, etc., would be greatly appreciated.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Tom,Manchester, New Hampshire, is a great centrally located airport, and best of all, it's just a little over an hour's drive to Vermont! Connections there are usually as simple as flying to Boston, a much further drive after you land, and also much more traffic. Plus, you'll be seeing some fall foliage the minute you get on the road. You'll find Comair (Delta Connection) flies there, also Southwest Air, Northwest and US Air. All major rental car companies operate there also.If you're coming in October, I'd recommend making that early October for the best foliage display. I'd also recommend working on accommodations very soon, foliage season is usually very popular; there are many inns and B&Bs linked to our site here at Scenes of Vermont.To drive to Vermont from Manchester, NH, you go north on I-93, about 20 miles to I-89, where you go north (northwest, actually) to Vermont (about 60 miles). You'll enter Vermont after crossing the Connecticut River, and you can either continue on I-89, go due west on Rte. 4, or take I-91 directly north to other Vermont locations, which will be on or near the New Hampshire border.I hope this gives you a general idea...if you'll register with us, I can send you some printed brochures, and do check out some of the links from our site to lodging and other Vermont sites.Happy Leafing!svmoderator

threebears

Fri Jul 14, 2000 1:58 pm

Tom, I think Manchester is too commerical. Stowe is a quaint classic New England town. Look it up... Goldilocks <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom:<BR><B>I am planning on bringing my 81 year-old mother to New England for fall foliage viewing during October 2000 and am really lost trying to plan it. She is from Arkansas and has never had a vacation. My father was killed in a car wreck when I was in high school and she was left to raise 5 of us still in school by herself. The is the only trip she has ever wanted to make. We will be flying from my home in Tulsa, Oklahoma, possibly with a couple of my siblings. Any ideas on where to go, what to see, where to fly into, where to stay, etc., would be greatly appreciated.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
Three Bears at The Fountain B&B<BR>"Where Everything is Just Right"

vilvic

Sat Jul 15, 2000 12:05 pm

Tom : Burlington International Airport has been getting more competitive with a couple new airlines about to come in, so that is another possibility to compare to Manchester. Like the moderator said, it's a gorgeous drive, either North from Manchester or South from Burlington. Do like the Stowe idea too-as a destination (cause that's where our B&B is Image<P>philip<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom:<BR><B>I am planning on bringing my 81 year-old mother to New England for fall foliage viewing during October 2000 and am really lost trying to plan it. She is from Arkansas and has never had a vacation. My father was killed in a car wreck when I was in high school and she was left to raise 5 of us still in school by herself. The is the only trip she has ever wanted to make. We will be flying from my home in Tulsa, Oklahoma, possibly with a couple of my siblings. Any ideas on where to go, what to see, where to fly into, where to stay, etc., would be greatly appreciated.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

svmoderator

Mon Jul 24, 2000 4:34 pm

Tom,I hope you've figured out that Manchester, New Hampshire is a suggested airport, not a suggested destination...also Burlington, Vermont, airport has had some good connections lately, as was mentioned. If I were you, I'd try to stay anywhere from the middle of Vermont north at the time you've mentioned. If you fly to Manchester, take I89 north from I93 to Vermont--then anywhere north or west from there will be in great foliage form. Check out the map, US Rte. 4 is the cross-Vermont highway from I89. Hope your plans are shaping up, it's time to start making your foliage reservations before our inns are booked...popular time of year, foliage. Enjoy, and let us know if we can help more. Susanne

one4t

Wed Jul 26, 2000 5:44 pm

I'm going the 26th of Sep thru 5 October. I'm staying in Northern VT, but driving from Providence RI. I found the airfares cheaper. However, you may find a more direct flight to Boston and drive it. I guess it depends on your mothers agility. Frommer's New England travel book is very helpful and comes with a New England map. Odd number highways go North and South, and Even numbers are East and West. Temps should be lower 70's or high 60's in the day and much cooler in the evening. Layers are best. They could go into a cold spell early in the season. They say last years foliage season was not good at all, and that this years should be really good. Watch the homepage to this site, it should give foliage reports starting in late August. If you're doing the B&B thing, does your mother want to do stairs or would she prefer first floor. <A HREF="http://www.virtualcities.com/ons/0onsadex.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.virtualcities.com/ons/0onsadex.htm</A> is a really good site to start searching for B&B's. Chit chat with the innkeepers, they're very informative and helpful. I tried to call them around 1-2pm their time thinking that they would be between checkout and checkinn time and have time to talk to me. I found many of them were booked when I started searching in April. In Northern Vermont, Lake Champlain area, there is much to see and do. Staying in New Hampshire might be an option also. If I didn't have friends I was meeting up with in VT, I would be staying in New Hampshire. The one person was right, you should base yourself in one place or maybe two,depending on the length of stay. Good luck and have a great trip.