Dining Suggestions

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

airbourneone

Dining Suggestions

Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:05 am

Hi,

We really appreciate this forum and the replies from those 'in the know' and will be traveling with a small group from late September through the first week of October for foliage and are looking for good restaurant choices in both Vermont and New Hampshire.

Since we'll be traveling also with children will be also looking for 'family friendly' establishments.

Any suggestions for:

- Burlington, VT area
- Stowe area
- Jackson, NH area
- Woodstock, VT area
- Manchester, VT

We plan to pass through a good part of the Northern Kingdom in Vermont, Midstate, and into the Jackson and Manchester areas of New Hampshire.

If you have any suggestions for any places that "can't be missed" we'd love to hear them too.

Many thanks!

pwt54

Re: Dining Suggestions

Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:51 am

WOW, you don't know how tough that question is. Burlington has just about everything. It has all of the chain types like, Outback, TGIF, Chili's, Longhorn, Ponderosa, Olive Garden, and so on. There is one kid's place in South Burlington if you feel like Pizza that night. It's called Pizza Putt. It's a pizza place with indoor activities like a miniature golf course. It's on Airport Parkway. The best way to get there is to take route 15 east from the interstate near Winooski to the second traffic light and turn right on the Lime Kiln Road. Go over the bridge and then bear right at the "Y" and in about 1/4 of a mile look for Pizza Putt on the right. Stowe has a lot of restuarants. It all depends on what your taste buds are crying for. Gracie's off Main street would be kid friendly. The Depot Malt shop behind the Green Mountain Inn is a burger, fries, and soda fountain type of place if your are into that. I can't recommend my favorite, The Shed, because it's a pub Brewery type of restaurant with great food. Because Stowe is a ski area, most restuarants are family friendly.

Michelle

Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:34 pm

I agree with pwt choices. In Manchester there are only a few eateries, all about the same, however I would not recommend the Equinox, except for a lunch, I have seen children there, as a mom of 4, I would not put it on my list.

4sneau

Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:15 pm

In the Woodstock area, you'd probably have more luck finding family dining closer to Quechee.

Firestones( on Route 4,at the blinking light in Quechee)is a nice, but not fancy, restaurant. It would be a good choice for a civilized dinner (not "fast food"). They make an excellent flatbread (Vermont style pizza).

An interesting new place just opened up in Quechee...The Farmers' Diner. They are located at the Quechee Gorge Village, and they serve food that has been locally grown. I hear that their food is excellent, and it's a great way to support the Vermont farmers, whose farms you have been admiring on your travels.

Our FAVORITE burger/hot dog/ice cream spot is in Woodstock. It is The White Cottage, located on Route 4, on the western fringes of the village, near the Woodstock High School. On a nice day, you can take your food down to the picnic tables on the river. It will be open through Columbus Day.

Other than that, a good idea is to get a sandwich made up at the (1)Woodstock Butcher's (next door to Gillingham's) or (2) The Village Deli in Quechee, and find a nice spot for a picnic.

margym

Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:54 pm

If you don't mind traveling a bit beyond Woodstock (heading west and/or south)you may want to consider the following: the LongTrail Brewery is located at the corner of route 4 and 100A. They have some excellent "pub food" and serve until late afternoon.

For breakfast, lunch or dinner meals Ludlow (100A south to 100 south)has some very decent restaurants. The prices are more reasonable than what you'll find in Woodstock and I think that the variety is more family/kid friendly.

Bridgwater Corners (route 4) has a very small bakery (I think it's called Umplebey's). They serve excellent soup, homemade baked goods, etc.

ENJOY!

Susan2004

Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:31 pm

Although I have eaten in Burlington a few times, unfortunately I haven't made very good choices apparently because I've been disappointed each time. And I haven't eaten in any of the other towns on your list.

However, if you're on your way from Burlington to Woodstock, etc., there's a place I would recommend in Hinesburg called the Good Times Cafe. Hinesburg is about 20 minutes South East of Burlington on 116 and the cafe is right on Main Street. We went there for dinner when we were staying on Lake Iroqouis. Although small, the food was excellent and adventurous and it was definitely child/family friendly. They specialize in interesting pizzas, but had other menu options including for dinner, plus fantastic desserts. The owners and staff were friendly and welcoming and there were a lot of families there that seemed like regulars. It is a VERY laid back environment and the food was amazing.

A very good question though. Does anyone have any recommendations for me? Right now we're looking at the Ludlow area if we manage to get there at all and we have an 18 mo. old who will be joining us some nights but would be interested in a nicer/romantic suggestion as well for one night. Definitely not interested in chains. I love the farm restaurant idea. Sounds like a good place to check out.

margym

Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:08 am

For family oriented/kid friendly in Ludlow, I've had good meals at Sam's Steakhouse (great salad bar) and the Pot Belly (varied menu with lots of choices!) The Hatchery servese the best breakfast in town!

For something more intimate, the Echo Lake Inn is on route 100 a few miles north of Ludlow. I've not eaten there, but the setting is very lovely (on a small lake).

This year, I plan to try Harry's Cafe on route 103 (outside of Ludlow). They have received great reviews and the menu looks very interesting.

Good luck- enjoy!

pwt54

Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:32 am

The Farmers Diner was located in Barre, but they had problems there. Probably the size of the diner. It was small. The food was very good when they were in Barre. Just north of Ludlow on route 100 is the Green Mountain Sugarhouse. They have maple cremees (soft-service ice cream). Great for a mid-day snack.

Richmond Victorian Inn

Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:28 pm

As you travel through VT, from Burlington to Stowe, stay off the interstate if you can and travel Rt 2 (East). Though South Burlington is a little more commercial and industrial, there is one place we highly recommend for pizza and subs - Marco's, on Williston Rd at Rt 116/Patchen Rd. Unbelievable value for money! Then, starting at Williston Village, it's more scenic, and though it takes a little longer, it's worth it. From Burlington, heading East, you'll go through Richmond, a one stoplight village, with several great places to eat. Depending on the time of day, there's the Bridge Street Cafe, Toscano Cafe/Bistro, and Zachary's (all serve lunch and dinner) and Sonoma Station and the Kitchen Table Bistro (for dinner). If you're traveling through on a Sunday afternoon, we offer a British-style afternoon tea, complete with sandwiches, scones, cream and jam, dessert and a pot of tea. Having a 9-yr old, I would say that all but KTB are kid-friendly. Bridge Street is our favorite place for wings and burgers. Then, of course, as you continue your gourmet trek through VT, you'll have to stop at Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream Factory, in Waterbury, on RT 100, on the way to Stowe. Then, there's the Cold Hollow Cider Mill in Waterbury Center, where you can get all-you-can drink, freshly pressed apple cider and the best cider donuts around! Another great place to stop is the Lake Champlain Chocolate Factory outlet/Cabot Cheese outlet for nibbles! The actual Cabot Cheese factory (in Cabot, VT) is another great place to go, if you have the time. Whatever you decide to do, there's definitely no shortage of places to eat. You won't find many McDonald's up here, but they can be found if you're having a serious Big Mac attack! :)
The Richmond Victorian Inn
PO Box 652/191 E. Main Street
Richmond, VT 05477
Ph: 802-434-4410/toll free 1-888-242-3362
Fax: 802-434-4411
www.richmondvictorianinn.com

jdsand

Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:59 am

For great dining outside of Ludlow on RT 106 in Perkinsville, try The Inn at Weathersfield - Intimate dining room with tasting menu and great dinner menu, but they have a tavern with bistro style food (roast chicken, burgers, stews, and fish specials)- the tavern is one of those hidden jewels the locals try to keep for themselves. The food is some of the best in the region and they have a great chef. They get their food from all local farms. Also just up the road on 106 is Keepers - also a great casual place with lots of specials and a good burger.

-Bon Apetite!

sinclair

Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:50 pm

If you are heading out to the Northeast Kingdom from Route 15, the Inn at Essex has a Tavern which is excellent and kid-friendly.

Further along 15, you'll come to Jeffersonville where you'll find 158 Main Street - also very kid friendly and they do breakfast on Sunday until 2pm.

If you go through Smuggler's notch from Jeffersonville, you'll drop down into Stowe, but before you get to the village center, you'll pass Gracie's (named after the owner's dog) - also very kid-friendly.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.
Sinclair Inn Bed and Breakfast
389 Route 15
Jericho, VT (near Underhill Flats)
www.sinclairinnbb.com
1 800 433 4658

dfpvt

Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:34 pm

Good food and family friendly:

Burlington, VT -
Penny Cluse for breakfast or lunch. You'll have to compete with University of Vermont students for a table.

- Woodstock, VT area - Quechee:
Simon Pearce is family friendly and the glass blowing is interesting for kids. Innovative food at reasonable prices.

- Manchester, VT
Little Rooster. Only open for breakfast and lunch. One of the best places in the region. Good value.

Manchester Center:
Flat Road Diner. Good burgers. Good value and lots of local color.

Route 11/30 2 miles east of Manchester Ctr: Zoey's Double Hex. American food.