A few of Vermont's highlights

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Aspen

A few of Vermont's highlights

Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:06 pm

Had reserved lodgings in Stowe and Killington last October. With foliage behind schedule, took the advise of locals on this forum. Headed straight to Stowe. Also took advise not to miss a drive to Smuggler's Notch while in Stowe. Definitely a must! Took a day trip via a loop up North to the Northeast Kingdom and back to Stowe. Was a beautiful drive and an especially awesome view at Willoughby Lake . Two unique experiences we had by listening to advise on this forum was visiting Rock of Ages in Barre and nearby Hope Cemetery For many, a visit to a cemetery may not be among foliage plans but if the locals recommended it, there had to be a reason! We checked them out, they were awesome. It was like walking through a beautiful sculpture garden. Highly recommend these unique experiences!
By the time we drove down to Killington, the ski resort had donned its blazing autumn, red attire! We drove over to Quechee Gorge . Highly recommend having lunch at the Simon Pearce Restaurant in Quechee.
We requested a table by the window in a dining room that overhang the water Below our window was a rushing waterfall and across from the waterfall was a covered bridge. Like for us, it may be a once in a lifetime dining experience you'll never forget! These are only a few of so many beautiful things to see and do while in Vermont.

pwt54

Re: A few of Vermont's highlights

Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:32 pm

I haven't eaten at Simon Pierce's yet. Sounds like I'd better check it out. That's the trouble when I wander around looking. I wander the back roads and I don't like to stop too long and miss something.

Aspen

Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:39 pm

The Simon Pearce Restaurant which overlooks the Ottauguechee River really would be great for a special and memorable occassion. After taking in the sights of Quechee Gorge which with the foliage is beautiful, it could be a once in a lifetime dining experience for many from out of town. Lunch is served from 11:30-2:45 and dinner 6:00-9:00. Reservations are accepted 802-295-1470. While waiting for our table, we watched glass blowers creating glassware which is sold in their store. Also, a lady was skillfully making pottery which is sold in their store. We were served on dinnerware which was made on their premises. You can step outdoors on a balcony overlooking the waterfalls which is a great place to capture some special pictures. Our luncheon was outstanding. Hot mulled cider was special for a change from ordinary beverages. Highly recommend this wonderful restaurant!

Hollie

Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:16 pm

Thanks for posting about Simon Pierce restaurant. My husband and I are planning on visiting the Killington area again this year and will definitely check out the restaurant.

Aspen

Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:16 pm

Was offline a few days so just got back on and read your message, Hollie. Wonderful that you are planning on dining at the Simon Pearce Restaurant. You may be assured that it will be one of the highlights of your visit to Vermont! Being from out of town and unfamiliar with the area, we missed the turn off road from Route 4 to the Simon Pearce restaurant so had to stop and inquire from locals for directions. Call
(802-295-1470) for directions or inquire likewise. From a map it looks like it may be a left turn off Route 4 onto Quechee-Hartland Road, drive through the Quechee Covered Bridge then make a left onto Quechee-West Hartford Road/Main St. Simon Pearce will be on the left side.
Recall when driving on Route 4 from Killington towards Woodstock/Quechee, we passed a few covered bridges on the right side of Route 4 along the water.
Considering you will be in Killington, a very nice restaurant there is the Grist Mill. It is on Killington Road on the Summit Lodge grounds. The wheel on the Mill is said to be some 90 years old. It is beautiful at night when the wheel is all lit up.
Have a wonderful return to beautiful Vermont. If you do get to Simon Pearce, send an update and your experiences there!

4sneau

Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:10 pm

Regarding directions to Simon Pearce: which way you turn off Route 4,of course, depends upon which way you are headed on Route 4, as you turn onto the Quechee/West Hartford (or is it Hartland)Road...which also goes by the name of Waterman Hill Road, at that point.
The intersection is about 1 1/2 mile west of the Quechee Gorge. In any event, there is a blinking yellow light at the intersection. You head DOWN the hill, where, after about a block and a half, you will come upon the aforementioned covered bridge. There is a "T" intersection, and a STOP sign as you exit the covered bridge. Turn Left, and turn Left again into the first driveway on the left hand side.

After you finish dining at Simon Pearce, you may want a lovely, less traveled route back to Woodstock than Route 4. THIS IS A SECRET...don't tell anyone! ...turn Left out of the exit from Simon Pearce, and continue on along the Quechee/West Hartford (or Hartland?) Road (which is also NOW called Main Street - Hey, I didn't name these streets!).
About a mile down this road, there will be a "fork" to the Left (River Road)...take that. If you start going up a hill, and the Ottaquechee River is NOT on your left, you've missed the fork. Keep the River on your left, and you'll be fine. You will go by the Quechee Club...keep going. It's an absolutely beautiful drive...especially the last part(after the Taftsville Bridge), which is a dirt road...but well worth the dust. Keep the River on your left, and you'll end up at the Billings Farm Museum in Woodstock.

Aspen

Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:43 pm

4SNEAU thanks for adding the good directions to the Simon Pearce Restaurant and a special secret drive back for Hollie and others. Yes, the turnoff from Route 4 heading in the directions of the Simon Pearce restaurant had a flashing yellow light!! For some of us out of towners who would not be expecting to turn down a hill !!!, it's easy to miss it. Alright folks, on this string of the foliage forum, you have the directions off Route 4 to the Simon Pearce restaurant, Simon Pearce's phone number, a tip that you are close to where to turn off for the restaurant when you see a yellow flashing light on Route 4 in the Quechee Gorge area, many helpful locals to turn to...(and I can't tell 4SNEAU's special secret drive back ;) ) so there's no excuse to be unable to locate this wonderful restaurant! Consider yourselves halfway there. For those who will be nearby Quechee/Woodstock who have not taken dining at Simon Pearce into consideration, start considering it!!

Hollie

Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:34 pm

I don't know how I missed this. Thanks so much for the suggestions. We are definitely making reservations at Simon Pearce (in addition to having reservations at Hemmingways). I will report back next week. :)

Aspen

Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:43 pm

Hollie, have a wonderful drive in Vermont and dining at Simon Pearce. The salt and pepper mills I bought at Simon Pearce are on my table so extend daily memories of beautiful Vermont.
We just arrived home last night after a wonderful two weeks and a half visit to another part of America the Beautiful! Believe it or not, there are five National Parks all located in Utah!: Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands and Arches; not to mention numerous other side trips one can take when in those areas. When driving through some of the canyons, I thought of Smuggler's Notch up in Vermont. Locals and others who love Smuggler's Notch will love the white knuckle drives and walks in those National Parks. We even had a tarantula greet us on one of the hiking paths in Zion! :eek: Folks accustomed to them assured us it would not hurt us but I chose to look and kept a nice distance from it. Nevertheless, it was beautiful in its own right.
Last October, when we visited, Vermont was donned in red (maples) and this October, Utah in yellow (Aspens)
Going to sit back and browse through this forum this evening for some leisure reading. Enjoy reading others' updates on Vermont in her autumn glory!