Maple syrup

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Aspen

Maple syrup

Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:06 pm

Calling on locals' expertise, need some advise: We bought several bottles of pure Vermont maple syrup for ourselves and family from a sugarhouse. When we arrived home, before opening any bottles, noticed there were cloudy strings (settling) at bottom of bottles. Had to shake the bottles. Is this cloudiness to be expected? So used to clear syrup, was not expecting it to "settle" or be cloudy. I am curious why the syrup settles that way?? What is the shelf life for opened pure maple syrup? Put ours in refrigerator after opening it.

ixl

Re: Maple syrup

Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:04 pm

Maple syrup is filtered to remove a (harmless but ugly) residue sediment called "sugar sand" or "niter". Sometimes a bit is left behind, especially if it is made by a small producer.

Keep it cold and dark (unopened) and it will last for years. Refrigerate after opening or it will mold. --c
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

Aspen

Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:48 am

Thanks Charles for explaining what we apparently are seeing in our maple syrup is residue sediment. Assuring to know it is harmless. The flavor of the maple syrup is really very nice. Keeping it refrigerated and hope to be able to enjoy it for awhile.

dkramer

Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:01 am

Btw if it gets mold, all you need to do is boil and skim. The syrup will still be perfectly fine.

Daniel

Aspen

Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:57 am

Daniel, thanks for confirming what I thought my mother, who passed on some years ago, once told me when I was young about skimming off mold on pure maple syrup and boiling it. As always a check with mother often is the answer to some pressing questions but when that is not possible it is nice to have others share their knowledge. Until Charles and your advice, was thinking perhaps should have bought smaller jars of syrup that would be used up quicker. Was ready to discard them when I discovered the unknown sediment residue. Oddly, did not notice it at the store or would have inquired there or probably wouldn't have bought it, you know. Thanks again and hope others unfamiliar with pure maple syrup sediment residue learn a few tips from this which will spare some good maple syrup from getting discarded unnecessarily!