Outstanding Vermont guide book

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Aspen

Outstanding Vermont guide book

Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:59 pm

Some of you may want to check out your public library or bookstore for this outstanding guidebook of Vermont:

Title is: An Explorer's Guide Vermont
Printed by: The Countryman Press
Woodstock, Vermont
www.countrymanpress.com
It is $19.95

This book has an index for quick reference and many of the chapters have maps of area in discussion.
We had plans to take a side trip to Woodstock from Killington. With this guidebook, discovered a few more miles down was not only the lovely Quechee Gorge but also a very special place..Simon Pearce. Determined to surprise my husband with a luncheon at Simon Pearce (in Quechee) I lured him to Quechee Gorge. Afterwards, I asked him if he would like to go somewhere for a special luncheon? He keeps asking me how I knew about this restaurant? Told him from reading up and discovering it in this guidebook.
Simon Pearce's restaurant has a dining room that overhangs a river Below the window from out table was a lovely dam rushing with water. Facing us a few feet down the river was a beautiful covered bridge! Had an hour's wait for our table because I demanded the special dining area. The wait went quickly. With their pager in hand, meanwhile, we had many great photo ops, shopped in their adjacent store, observed professional glass blowers creating glassware and a lady making potteryware that is used in their dining room and sold in their store.

sharan

Re: Outstanding Vermont guide book

Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:56 pm

I just placed an order two days ago for several books and videos and didn't order that one. I had it on my list and for some reason decided against it. I will have to go back and get it now for sure. It sounds like a great guide. If you like covered bridges, you should get the Covered Bridges of Vermont by Ed Barna. It gives detailed info about every covered bridge in Vermont and tells some of the history about them. Thanks for sharing this info-- I need all the help I can get in planning our trip for next year. Thanks to everyone for all the great advice.

Aspen

Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:19 pm

Sharan,yes,we enjoy covered bridges. Thanks for suggesting the book on covered bridges, will check it out. As for the An Explorer's Guide Vermont book, we came to an unfamiliar town and I checked the index for the town. We were within a few feet from a road that had three covered bridges on it. My husband asked, where do we pick up the road, I looked up from the guide and said turn right...it was right there. What a thrill! Imagine,if we didn't have that great reference book, what a disappointment it would have been if we had driven right past that road! That's where alot of neat things turn up, off the beaten path!! At the beginning of the guide there is a "What's Where in Vermont" section which gives you a great, brief overview. I am confident you and others will like this guide.
Make a note to visit Barre's granite quarry (Graniteville) Take your binoculars. I recommend binoculars because you can observe the craftsmen at work. With binoculars, we got a close up view. After a tour (30 minutes) of the quarry, visit the Hope Cemetery. No, not into visiting cemeteries but Hope Cemetery is very special. It's recommended by the visitor's center at the quarry. Pick up their map of Hope Cemetery. Their map leads you to such awesome granite memorials. More awesome when you realize alot of those beautiful sculptured memorials were done by hand!

sharan

Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:48 am

24Vermont,
I had seen the info on the quarry but thought it sounded boring. After hearing your description, I think I will have to go there! Just another example of how valuble this forum is.
Did you go on any of the tram rides in Vermont?

Aspen

Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:45 pm

Hi Sharan, I understand your thinking the Barre quarry (Rock of Ages) might be boring. Shared those thoughts in our early stage of planning our trip. However, it pays to listen and learn from others. It also depends on one's willing to learn something new and whether you will be nearby Barre. I made a note in our travel log if/when nearby Barre, to check it out.
We drove the 4 and a half toll road up Mt.Mansfield in Stowe intead of taking a tram/gondola. Were set on taking the gondola at Jay's Peak since the colors were lovely but to our dismay, there was a power outage the day we arrived there. When we got to Killington, trees were ablaze in red but there was a heavy; dark cloud cover (rain followed that evening) so did not take the gondola up Mt. Killington.(also spoiled after having seen Jay's Peak and wanting to go up there by gondola) From observations, Mt. Killington's gondola ride is much shorter than Jay's Peak. If we ever get back to Jay's Peak during a foliage peak, we will plan to take the gondola ride up there.
Not sure how you are setting up your travel plans. We decided to use Route 100 (It is a scenic drive, offers so much and is close to so many "turn offs" to other places) I took a notebook which I refer to as our travel log and assigned two to three blank pages for each town we would be driving through on Route 100. Under each town in the notebook, I made lists of things to see and do as I learned about them on this forum, from friends and reading research. Took a Vermont map and planned routes we would take then highlighted the routes in color which was easy to check quickly. Took alot of advise on loops to drive from this forum and highlighted the loops. It worked very well for us. All this planning pays off so once you get to Vermont all you have to do is refer to your plans and routes rather than try to decide when getting there what to do or how to get around. Many of the visitor centers, lodges, restaurants have neat maps of their specific town..it is like a poster. I reviewed them each evening before the following day's outing; if I found anything new, I added it to my travel log so I would not overlook it. Worked very well.
:confused: Still curious in what ways some folks were using their laptops in cars and parking lots?? Obviously, they found them useful for traveling. Were they following travel logs? Mapquests?? Hope some computer experts will share some tips on this new trend of using a laptop when traveling.
If you have not driven Route 5a (as recommended by quite a few on this forum) jot it down when planning your loops. Lake Willoughby was stunning with reflections on the lake of the beautiful granite and colorful mountains. (was there late afternoon so like many say, alot of nice scenes are with the sun at your back) Trust you have seen or will plan to see Smuggler's Notch on Route 108 in Stowe area.... agree with locals, a MUST!see when in Stowe.