Foliage Report: October 12

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

autzig

Foliage Report: October 12

Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:22 pm

I left Littleton, NH early this morning and traveled to Burlington. I took Hwy 2 from St. Johnsbury to Plainfield, then Hwy 14 north to Hwy 15 and on to Jeffersonville. From there I drove over Smugglers Notch to Stowe.

Color was almost non-existent from St Johnsbury to Johnson. About 80% of the trees in the mountains between Hardwick and Morrisville had lost all of their leaves. The remaining trees had few leaves and very dull color. Where the trees did have leaves, they were falling faster than snowflakes in a blizzard.

The only place that color was very good was along the road from Jeffersonville to Stowe. The trees at the higher elevations were either bare or very dull in color.

I talked to a number of locals who said the color this year just isn't very good. This is my third visit to Vermont at this time of year and this time I saw no "ahhhs" or "ooooos"

For great color, I think we'll have to wait until next year, at least in Northern Vermont.