Foilage Report : October 9

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

autzig

Foilage Report : October 9

Sun Oct 09, 2005 5:57 pm

I arrived in Burlington yesterday to begin my 4 day photo excursion. I set out early this morning. My route took me on I89 to Barre where I picked up 302 to 232. I turned right on Hwy 2 to St Johnsbury, took I91 to Lyndonville and 5a to West Burke. I drove the Newark Road, stopping at Job's Pond and then south on 114. I took the dirt road to Gallup Mills and on to Guildhall. I ended my photo taking at Stark Village in New Hampshire.

The weather was not good this morning with a constant drizzle. The color varied markedly along the way. I found the best color between Orange and West Groton on 302. Whenever I could, I drove the dirt roads and they offered some very nice sights. I was really disappointed with the foliage along 232. Many of the trees have lost all of their leaves. The parking area at Kettle Pond has a nice reflecting pond, but there were so few leaves left on the trees that I didn't take one photograph.

I took the hike to the top of Owl's Head but it was foggy the views of the ponds weren't good.

The best parts of my drive were the Newark Road and the drive go Gallup Mills to Guildhall. While these are dirt roads they are in very good shape and almost no traffic.

Unfortunately, even the best areas were past peak. There were spots where the color was very nice but I think anyone looking for color this week should head south.

Axel in JP

Re: Foilage Report : October 9

Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:52 pm

What's going on up there?

I'm not going up until Friday, but the Island Pond webcam looks like peak. It certainly doesn't look bare. Did the rain knock off all the leaves in Groton State Forest? This would be helpful to know so I can avoid Groton, but did you go to Peacham? I heard Peacham was still pre-peak as of a couple days ago. I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

ixl

Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:15 pm

I am a bit confused by this too...

I was right at the tippy-top of Vermont today and saw some trees bare but VERY few... then again, I am spending most of my time photographing close subjects, not distant mountains, so maybe that is the difference....?

Charles
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

ixl

Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:08 am

Okay I think I know what is going on here.. the color seems VERY variable. This morning I went over to Craftsbury, Hardwick and Calais.. the color was poor. I turned west and went back up to Elmore and the color is MUCH better. So it seems to be an east-west thing at least in this area...

c

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

autzig

Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:38 pm

While a lot of trees were bare, I didn't mean to suggest that there were no leaves. The colors really seemed dull and there was a noticable lack of red. I saw lots of yellows and yellow-orange but few reds. The mountains almost looked uniformly yellow-orange. To me they appeared to be what I expect after the peak.

I spent today in New Hampshire in the Franconia Notch area and the colors here are also quite dull. Some areas have just started to turn while others seem past peak. I hiked the Flume and saw one area of bright color. I took out my compass and learned that I was facing east. The west side of the Franconia Notch was not very colorful and much of the east side was shrouded in clouds.

ixl

Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:10 pm

Fernando, looks like you are just having bad luck. If you have time, try North-Central VT -- anywhere from Stowe up to Jeffersonville, Montgomery, in that area. I am also told the NE Kingdom is very nice, going to check that as soon as some photons are available. :)

c

autzig

Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:41 pm

I will be heading back to Burlington on Wednesday. Haven't decided the route, but I talked to someone today who said the best colors they've seen were in Stowe. I'll probably head that way and then down 100 past Waitsfield and Warren and drive over the Lincoln Gap. I'd appreciate any other ideas.

Aspen

Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:41 pm

Ferdando
Saturday the ski lift at Killington was radiant with color with lots of red. Do not know if you want to venture that far. The meadows at the Von Trappe Family Lodge in Stowe should be at peak now; were close to peak last week. The 4 and a half mile toll road up Mt. Mansfield last week was mid peak; should have more reds now. Lovely drive up there. Willoughby Lake off 5a was awesome in late afternoon. Hope to read some better reports from you, good luck!

ixl

Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:11 am

I am thinking the color in Burlington may be a touch early yet.

The whole north-central area was nice... take the triangle formed by routes 108 and 100 and the Canadian border and it's all pretty there.

I am on the shore of Seymour Lake as I write this and the color looks pretty good. Will need to drive around some more and check out various locations.

They are even threatening that the skies may clear briefly tomorrow. Shock! :)

c

pwt54

Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:31 pm

Whoa ! They got computer hookups on Seymour Lake ? Those have got to be smart fishies up there.