Saint Johnsbury this weekend

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

azaman

Saint Johnsbury this weekend

Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:22 pm

I am going to be in Saint Johnsbury this weekend. What are the areas that I should visit to see the best foilage? Thanks.
az

Irishnan

Re: Saint Johnsbury this weekend

Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:55 pm

Hi AZ,
I suggest you use RT 5 North from St J to RT 114 in Lyndonville. Make a right onto 114. After the railroad track make a left onto Darling Hill Rd. Park at the Wildflower Inn and enjoy the view. Continue to the Inn at Mountain View and do the same. At this point you can do one of two things. Continue to go straight on Darling Hill Rd (don't bear left onto W. Darling Hill) until you come to stop sign and then make a right onto Burke Hollow Rd. Follow Burke Hollow Rd down to RT 114 and the village in East Burke. OR at the Inn at Mountain View make a right onto E. Darling Hill Rd. and that will take you to RT 114 and the village of East Burke. Either way make a left onto 114 and then make a right onto Mountain Rd. Follow Mountain Rd until you come to the toll road on left. Take toll road (I think it is 3.00 a car) to the top of Burke Mountain. Park at the top and enjoy the view. To the left of the parking lot there is a trail to go to the observation tower.
Pat
Pat

Irishnan

Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:26 pm

I am having second thoughts about suggesting you use RT 5 from St J. 91 would be more scenic. Get off 91 at exit 23 and follow Rt 5 to 114.
Pat
Pat

pwt54

Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:23 am

If you are going to do dirt roads, then when you are done on Burke Mountain, go back to East Burke Village. Turn right on route 5A and go about 3 miles and look for the Victory Road on the right side. It starts paved, but it is mostly dirt. I was up there last Sunday and the colors were great. This road is quiet and easy to drive. It ends at route 102 in Guildhall. At route 102 turn left and head north to Bloomfield. The foliage may be early on this road, but it is scenic and the only way to route 105 in Bloomfield. Turn left onto route 105 west and drive that through the Village of Island Pond. West of the village you will come to route 114 south on the left side. Turn left onto route 114 south and drive that back to Lyndonville. HOWEVER, if it is raining heavyly I would skip the Victory Road. Just drive route 5A north to the end at route 105 east and turn right. Drive route 105 east until you hit route 114 south on the right side. Drive route 114 south to the end at route US 5 in Lyndonville. At the intersection of route US 5 you will see a road straight ahead. This is route 122. Drive straight onto route 122 and drive that to the end at route 16. Turn left and drive route 16 to the end at route 15 east. Turn left and drive route 15 east to the end at route US 2. in West Danville. Turn left and drive route US 2 back to St.Johnsbury.

azaman

Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:03 am

Thank you.
az

azaman

Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:14 am

Other than driving around to see the foliage (which is definitely the main purpose of the trip) is there anything else that I can do in the area. For example horse back riding or any good restaurants?
az

Irishnan

Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:50 pm

Here is a link for restaurants in the area http://www.nekchamber.com/pages/295/Dining.htm
I can recommend Elements, River Garden Cafe, Old Cutter Inn and Juniper's at the Wildflower Inn. Been to all of them and food is very good. Black Bear Tavern was pretty good last time we were there. Elements and River Garden have "creative" menus. Best to check their menus out on the web to make sure it is food you like. PWT54 must have meant for you to take a right onto 114 if you go up to Burke Mountain. 5A is in the village of West Burke. According to my GPS software Victory Rd will change names a couple times. It starts out as Victory then changes to Burke Rd and then to Granby Rd and ends at 102 as he said. That route sounds so good that I will do it the first day of good weather we have. Living here I have that luxury. There is a lot of color popping out that was not here 4 or 5 days ago. Hopefully we will get SOME sunshine over the weekend but it is not looking good.
Pat

pwt54

Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:41 pm

You are right, it should be route 114, nor 5A. That's the problem with answering from the rest area. We are on dial up and have only one phone line so we tie up the phone. Plus I have folks in the lobby off and on looking for foliage and rooms.