Early October Slide Show

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

admin
Site Admin

Early October Slide Show

Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:48 pm

Hello everyone:
We've just put up a slide show of fall colors in the Northeast Kingdom.

http://www.foliage-vermont.com/pictures.htm

The pictures were taken today and yesterday (October 2nd and 3rd). The color is still not at its best, but it is not bad either, so if you are coming to Vermont this week, the Northeast Kingdom is where you will see the best color.
We've heard that there could be frost here on Thursday and Friday which will spur on the color.

Kerry Gough

Re: Early October Slide Show

Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:26 pm

Thanks, Tim, for publishing the pictures you took today. Gives a lot of encouragement as to what the weekend could bring, especially if lower temperatures do move in for a couple of early mornings.

I feel sure it will be another great visit to Vermont. Thanks for you help.

autzig

Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:58 pm

Two questions: What lake is it? Is the photo from high above the lake taken from the road or is it from a hiking trail?

Thanks.

randl

Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:03 pm

Thanks for the display, it gives an insight of what is around the corner.
Roy and Lori

admin
Site Admin

Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:47 pm

It's taken from a forestry road that overlooks Lake Willoughby and Mount Pisgah. It is looking north up the lake.You can drive up to this point in summer and fall, and xcountry ski in the winter

pwt54

Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:12 am

About a mile south of the lake you will see 2 parking areas. Go into the one on the right side under the trees and you will see the forest road.

pwt54

Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:15 am

Tim, you should check out Job's Pond off the Newark Road in Brighton. Conditions should be good for some great photos. I was there Sunday and it was beautiful.

GIC

Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:23 am

I failed to mention that last Saturday while I was tracking color conditions that just south of Troy are some excellent farm landscape views.
Troy is located pure north. Real nice area that exhibits views of rolling farmland with views of distant mountain ranges.

GIC

Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:01 am

Wow great shots. I was just there 09/30 and reported this on 10/01. Just look at what 2 days can do to the foliage.
Originally posted by GIC:
Kerry, excellent post.
It is very late at night. I just returned from a 540 mile run through Vermont.
Here is what I observed.
South East Vermont is Green
Central Vermont Green to very mild yellowish green.

I think the Northeast Kingdom will exhibit some true fall colors within 8 days from now.
The color is just not there yet, but you can tell that something is about to happen very, very soon. The change will occur in the higher elevations first, which everyone will see perfectly from the roads. So don’t let elevation word fool anyone. It will be awesome to see.

I hated to return back to the house. The country in Vermont is so breath taking it does not matter what season you visit. The farm landscapes and mountain ranges are so scenic.
By the way I did see a moose. Farmers are laying out the pumpkins.
Sorry for the short, blunt post. Good Night.