Foilage Reports

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Kerry Gough

Foilage Reports

Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:21 pm

It was a little disappointing today to not get the anxiously awaited Thursday Foilage Report that I, and I feel others, may have anticipated. The content of the brief report on this site gave limited information. It did not give anyone much knowledge or direction to plan leaf peeping over the next four or five days or the later part of next week.

The web site "Vacation Vermont" on Tuesday had reports from ten forest rangers throughout the state. They gave a first hand knowledge of the foliage outlook in their region. Their reports always are helpful as you know they are on site in the area for which they report. Where were their reports which were to be released today? Now we must hope that we will hear from them Tuesday of next week as tentatively shown on the Foliage Report Schedule.

At 10 PM tonight, I called 1-800-VERMONT and got an excellent voice report. This report gave me a much wanted feeling of encouragement as I look at arriving in Vermont on Oct. 6 for five nights and six days. Fall colors may not be at peak in Central or Southern Vermont by then but I anticipate from personal experience that colors will be vibrant and plentiful. Sure - you may have to traverse the higher elevations, but that is easy to do if you go across the mountains on one Gap road and then do the same in the opposite direction on another Gap road. Use Rt 100 as the north/south route and the Gaps, and Rt 9 in the south, as the east/west roads. Foliage in the Northeast Kingdom should be very pretty even though not at peak exposure.

I love Vermont and have been coming every foliage season for quite a few years. My objective is to generate a positive spirit about a visit to such a beautiful state. Though the foliage is mostly sought and certainly exceptional, Vermont villages, church houses, shops, country stores, dining places, lodging establishments and special attractions have a warmth and charm equaled by no other travel destination. Vermont people significantly contribute to the state's charm through their friendliness.

A visit to Vermont is a "breath of fresh air" in more ways than one. Much more than colorful foilage will surround you. Do not miss ALL that Vermont has to offer and you will leave refreshed by the sights, sounds, smells and serenity of one of God's most beautifully created places.

Thanks to the ones who post such positive and helpful information on the Foliage Forum. Maybe Forum members will take a few moments in the next few days to just give a lift and some words of encouragement to folks from outside Vermont who already have their plans in place. Don't cancel! Go! Look for beauty that may be a little less than what you hoped to see. It is truly there for eyes that are fully open!

If this is your first visit, then what you see will be "your peak". Just think. When you make a return visit, the "peak" you see then may be simply magnificent and far exceed any expectations you ever had. I know - for that has been true more than once for this "flatlander".

Enjoy your journey - and God bless!

GIC

Re: Foilage Reports

Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:19 pm

Kerry, excellent post.
It is very late at night. I just returned from a 540 mile run through Vermont.
Here is what I observed.
South East Vermont is Green
Central Vermont Green to very mild yellowish green.

I think the Northeast Kingdom will exhibit some true fall colors within 8 days from now.
The color is just not there yet, but you can tell that something is about to happen very, very soon. The change will occur in the higher elevations first, which everyone will see perfectly from the roads. So don’t let elevation word fool anyone. It will be awesome to see.

I hated to return back to the house. The country in Vermont is so breath taking it does not matter what season you visit. The farm landscapes and mountain ranges are so scenic.
By the way I did see a moose. Farmers are laying out the pumpkins.
Sorry for the short, blunt post. Good Night.

admin
Site Admin

Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:51 pm

The Thursday foliage report is now up. Unfortunately, the information from the state was not available on Thursday as it normally is, and it did not become available to us until late on Friday night. Sorry to inconvenience anyone.

As of midnight on Friday, the report on www.travel-vermont.com (the state site) had still not beeen updated.

ixl

Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:09 pm

Hey innkeeper,

Did you take any photos perchance? How close to peak are you now, do you think? --c
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

admin
Site Admin

Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:47 pm

If you take a look at the picture of the day on foliage-vermont.com you'll see that I took a picture of Lake Seymour with the Seymour Lake Lodge across the lake (white bldg). The color is about typical for the area for today (Oct 1). It will be more pronounced every day from now on.

ixl

Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:57 pm

Thanks Timothy. I had to refresh as it was still showing the 9/27 picture.

Looks like there is some color at the higher elevations but still pretty green lower down. Maybe next weekend will be better. --c
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

Kerry Gough

Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:58 pm

My spirit is much stronger than 24 hours ago! Much of the information shared today has had a very positive message to it. It makes a difference. My hope is that we are all a little bit surprised by what we see come mid-week and next weekend.

Thanks, GIC, for your kind remarks. I agree on the comments you made about Vermont. It is such a special place with beauty in every direction. If you want it, you can find it!

Thanks, Tim, for the additional information. It is helpful and should give a lift to all who may be afraid that the color will just not be there. I could notice the change in the scene above Lake Seymour. Hope you will keep posting an undated photograph to show the change day-to-day.

And, Seymour Innkeeper. "The hills are aglow with the sounds of music -". Great description as the transition from summer to fall transpires. The rainbow of colors that smile at you from the hilltops just seem to emit melodious sounds that cause you to sing or think of a favorite hymn or patriotic song. The valleys prepare you and the hills take you to the mountain top. And then, a panoramic scene quietly unfolds as you drop back into the valleys and towards reflective lakes. What magnificant sights!

Thanks,PWT, for your wonderful suggested routes to maximize foliage viewing. Now -which place has the best Maple Cree-Mee? I have never had one so I am wanting a new experience here in 2005. Or, just again, name the places that do have good ones in the event one Maple Cree-Mee leads to a want for another one.

There are great days coming. Look for them!

pwt54

Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:52 am

I ahve to give the edge to Bragg Farm on route 14 about a mile north of East Montpelier. Morse Farm on North Main Street/County Road north of Montpelier is right up there as is the Green Mountain Sugarhouse on route 100 in Ludlow. Burr Morse of Morse Farms make his own Maple Kettle Popcorn. It's great. By the way, there are some great rides north of Morse Farms but the roads are short and criss-cross each other so you can get lost up there. Go to the welcome center just west of the Capitol Building on 134 State Street and see if they have a map of that area. They made some good ones. Have them make out the Tebbetts Road in Woodbury. It goes under a barn(sort of).