What would a Vermonter do ?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Aspen

Re: What would a Vermonter do ?

Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:43 pm

:) Thanks so much for your encouraging message to all of us set on getting up there to enjoy Vermont in her autumn attire. We definitely are heading up to the Northeast Kingdom. Without elaborating, we have been discouraged, the past few days with foliage reports, but do know from the locals' reports, like yours, we will not be in for a disappointment driving around in the Northeast Kingdom. We also know that often you have to go an extra mile to obtain things you want in life.
Loved how you define what it is like up there in the Northeast Kingdom! Keep your reports coming this weekend and take time to enjoy your wonderful territory, yourself, at this wonderful time of year!
Advise what would be best route from Stowe
Route 100N to cut across East
Should we take 100N all the way to Route 105 then to Route 114; then loop back at the fork in West Burke to 100 via Route 5 or 5A to get back to Route 100 south toward home base in Stowe?
If this does not make sense...advise how locals would head over from 100 to those scenic areas and back.

ixl

Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:12 pm

Great post, innkeeper. :)

It's that spirit of country Vermont that makes me love the state. Last year I went to northern VT and NH -- the trees were great in both places but I liked the farms and the culture of VT for my photography and just to be around.

I will be doing another tour this year. And yes -- I sleep in my car. I can find a nice quiet place, wake up at dawn to take shots in nice light or capture mist on a pond, and save a lot of money. :)

When you say the leaves are "on track" -- realistically, how far from peak would you estimate?
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

pwt54

Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:46 pm

Have you done route 113 from Fryeburg Maine through Evan's Notch (?) to route US 2 ? What this real Vermonter would do right now is to tune in to NESN and watch the Red Sox whup the "Evil Empire(Yankees) or the opposite. On Sunday this Real Vermonter will prowl the back roads of the Northeast Kingdom in his Real Vermont "furran" car ( Subaru Forester) looking elusive foliage. Stay tuned.

Aspen

Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:35 pm

Seymourinnkeeper Thanks for guiding folks along to what sounds to be some interesting routes. Have Smuggler's Notch down pat on our itinerary but was not sure we could take in all areas in a single day. Probably divide drives into two days in the Stowe/Northeast Kingdom.
Believe it or not our Vermont map already has a well "worn" hole in a fold from revisiting and rechecking routes!
And for Pwt54, congratulations on the new car! Happy rolling along!
How are gas prices up there in Vermont? :mad: Gas was $2.99 a gallon. Another station down the road a few feet was $3.09 a gallon.

pwt54

Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:01 am

Gas prices are about the same up here. I was able to fill up at the Shell station in Johnson for $2.89. The other staions on my drive to work were $ 2.95 to $ 2.99. Gas prices in New Hampshire are the same, but New York has a higher gas tax and is more expensive.