Save my marriage - Oct. 10-12 advice

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Bonzo

Save my marriage - Oct. 10-12 advice

Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:21 am

Dear Vermont gurus,

We are living in my native Los Angeles, my wife is from Europe and hates it here. As part of my attempt to convince her that moving to New England is the best compromise, we will be in VT for the very first time Oct. 10-12 and know absolutely nothing about the state (well, OK, something about Ethan Allen, syrup, and respectful free-thinkers). You could assist us greatly by letting us know:

1. Where would be a good place to base ourselves for that time to be able to go on half-day leaf hikes?

2. Do you have lodging recommendations?

I know it's awfully late to be putting this together, but I promise that if we move to New England, I'll be much more organized (and get the storm windows up before it snows!)

Thanks in advance,
Bonzo

dkramer

Re: Save my marriage - Oct. 10-12 advice

Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:22 am

I would agree with bm. At that point you'd like to be Route 4 and south of there. Unfortunately, it is not my strongsuit for routes and lodging recommendations. I have more knowledge in the northern half of the state. At this point, it is kind of late...but not too late. Try some of the ski areas for lodging...Killington, Okemo, Stratton, even Mount Snow (that's pretty far south). If you are looking for a bed and breakfast, a simple Google search will likely get you to a few good general sites to find B&B's in Vermont. Good luck!

Daniel

dfpvt

Re: Save my marriage - Oct. 10-12 advice

Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:32 am

Check the Inn at Willow Pond and Equinox Hotel in the Manchester area for lodging. Although it's a very busy weekend, there may be some rooms. Or call the Manchester Chamber of Commerce, 802 362-2100. The hike to the top of Bromley Mountain from route 11/30 east of Manchester is a nice dayhike on the Appalachian trail with panoramic views at the top, and the short hike around Equinox Pond in Manchester Village is very scenic.

Personally, I'd check out the Burlington region in northwestern Vermont if you're serious about relocation. It's not as isolated as southern Vermont, the infrastructure is a little better and there's more variety in landscape and culture due to the proximity of Lake Champlain and Montreal. Try the dayhike up Camel's Hump if you want a spectacular view. It's one of the best in the state.

The Green Mountain Club's "Long Trail Map" is a great source of dayhikes throughout the state. You can find it at greenmountainclub.org.