mountain overlooks

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

bev123

mountain overlooks

Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:32 pm

I have been reading about toll roads in Manchester and Stowe. They sound pretty but we're on a tight budget. Are the vantage points from those drives really unique, or could I find comparable views elsewhere? Thanks.

Kerry Gough

Re: mountain overlooks

Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:22 am

Bev:

You generate a very valid thought concerning the toll routes to go to higher elevations. I have been traveling to Vermont for quite a few years. Only one time have I driven one of the toll roads. That was the Equinox drive at Manchester, which I took \mainly to to meet friends at the restaurant on top for dinner late one afternoon and early evening.

If I am going to spend money to get to a high elevation, I would much rather take a Gondola ride and enjoy more of a closeness to the natural environment. Plus, you can take pictures, really enjoy the total vista, rather than having to pay attention to your driving, and see scenery from the Gondola scenery you will not be able to see from an automobile.

Instead, drive one or two of the East-West Gap roads in Central Vermont and north and/or south on Route 100. I think you would enjoy views from these vantage points just as much as from a tollway or focal spot. One Gondola ride would be a fun experience and enjoyable. It would cost you a few bucks, but I think you would find a one time ride worth it. Traveling Route 100 would not have as negative affect on your budget.

pwt54

Re: mountain overlooks

Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:54 pm

You can hike up many of the montains on established trails. There is one mountain that you can drive to with 1/4 of a mile and do the short easy hike to the top and that is Owl's Head Mountain in the groton State forest. The road to the monutain is off route 232 in the State Forest. There will be a sign for the road. It's a short easy hike with good views of Kettle Pond.