One more question - Lodging Vermont

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Bignosebird

One more question - Lodging Vermont

Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:29 am

I'm afraid I have to ask again ...
:confused:
Would you recommend to stay in Woodstock, Montpelier or Stowe to travel for 3 days through Vermont (30.09.-2.10.) ?

After that we are going to NH where we want to stay in North Conway.
Is this a good location for travel through the White Mountains ?

Thanks a lot for every hint !!

Greetings from Germany,
Mona

pwt54

Re: One more question - Lodging Vermont

Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:03 am

I would stay in the Stowe area. The best colors will be there and there is more lodging in Stowe than the Montpelier/ Barre area.

pwt54

Re: One more question - Lodging Vermont

Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:57 am

For rides I suggest going north on the first day. Take route 100 north out of Stowe and go all the way to the junction of route 58 East in Lowell,Vt. Turn right onto route 58 east and drive that to the end at route 5A south in Westmore,Vt. Turn right and take route 5A south to Lake Willoughby. Drive to the south end of the lake and then turn around. You'll love the views. Drive 5A north past the junction of route 58 and to the end of 5A at route 105 east.. Turn right and drive route 105 east past the junction of route 114 South and into Island Pond village. It should be about lunchtime. Eat at Jennifer's Restuarant. Go back to the junction of route 114 south and drive that to the end at route US 5 in Lyndonville. You will see a road straight ahead at the intersection. Take that route to the junction of route 122. Look to the left and you will see a covered bridge. Check it out. Turn around and drive route 122 north to the end at route 16. Turn left and drive route 16 to the end at route 15 west. Turn right and drive route 15 west to route 100 south in Morrisville. Take route 100 south back to Stowe. That's enough for that day. The second day start down route 100 south from Stowe. In Waitsfield Village look for Bridge Street on the left just past the library. There is a covered bridge there. Turn around and go back to route 100 south and turn left. Continue south on route 100 and look for signs for Warren Village. Turn left onto Main Street and drive through the village and look for a covered bridge on the right. Continue on Main Street and you will come to route 100 south again. Turn left. You will come to a twisty section of this route called Granville Gulf. Slow down a bit. Look for a paved parking area on your right for Moss Glen Falls. Continue route 100 south to Hancock Village and look for route 125 west on the right side. Drive that and look for signs for Texas Falls. The road to the falls is on the right. Drive to the parking area on the left. If that is full there is more parking past there. Go back to route 125 and turn left to go back to route 100 south and turn right. Drive route 100 south to route US 4 east in Killington and bear left. Drive route US 4 east toward Woodstock,Vt. There will be a coverd bridge next to the road as you come to West Woodstock. Drive through Woodstock and you will come to Taftsville, Vt. Look for a covered bridge. Drive US 4 east over the bridge at Quechee Gorge and continue past the intersection for I-89 south and go to the ramp for I-89 North. Drive I-89 north to exit 2 in Sharon. Turn left and go to route 14 and turn right. Drive route 14 north to East Brookfield and look for route 65 west on the left. Drive that to Brookfield to see the Floating Bridge. Turn around and go back to route 14 and turn left. Drive route 14 north to Williamstown and look for route 64 west. Drive that to the intersection of I-89 north and drive that to Exit 10 to get back to Stowe. (Route 14 north of Williamstown isn't scenic.)