Vermont Honeymoon

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Maxmfp04

Vermont Honeymoon

Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:16 am

Hello. I short changed my new wife on her honeymoon after are wedding and am hoping to make up for it by taking her to Vermont to maybe see some color. Unfortunately, working with her schedule, we can only go September 24rth through September 30th. We are flying into Burlington and, since we are there early, I assume we are going to have to head north east to see fall colors. I am wondering if anyone has some nice bed and breakfast places they might recommend. Also, what routes might be best to go on given how early we are getting their.

Thanks a lot for your time and assistance,

Paul

admin
Site Admin

Re: Vermont Honeymoon

Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:43 am

Plan on visting an area called the Northeast Kingdom. It's in northeastern Vermont. For accommodations, please consult our lodging listings for Craftsbury, Lyndonville, Willoughby, Montgomery, and Jay. I can recommended the Willoughvale Inn on Lake Willoughby, and the Wildflower Inn in Lyndonville, East Burke. You should also plan on a visit to North Hatley, Quebec across the border. www.borderadventures.com

pwt54

Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:54 am

You should have some real nice colors in northeast VT. I am already seeing early color in the damaged and stressed trees. I was up in the Champlain Islands in north west Vt. yesterday and the trees in the swamps and wet areas are turning. This is Normal!

Maxmfp04

Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:13 pm

Thanks for the replies. I just bought a book on Vermont and am making my plans now. Just out of curiosity, how long does it take to get from Burlington to the far east corner of the Northeast Kingdom? I am just trying to get a grasp of timing and distance.

Thanks,Paul

pwt54

Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:08 pm

I'd figure on about 2 hours.

Maxmfp04

Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:03 am

Since this will be our first adventure as "peepers" (is that what we are called as visitors looking for fall foilage?), is it best to stay at a hotel as a "base camp" for a couple of days or is the idea to go from hotel to hotel?

Thanks for all the info.

pwt54

Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:56 pm

Because Vermont is a small state, using a "base" works well. Using a place in the St. Johnsbury, Lyndonville area, for example, puts you close to the great foliage in the Northeast Kingdom of Vt. and the White Mountains of NH. That's where I would stay in the time period you mentioned.