Cloudland - Woodstock area Sept 23

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

admin
Site Admin

Cloudland - Woodstock area Sept 23

Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:17 pm

I was in Woodstock today and headed at once to Cloudland. This is THE location for the best foliage views in this area. Unfortunately I was a bit early, the color is about a week to 5 days behind the NEK. It was the same along the Ottaquechee river between Quechee and Woodstock...I took a few snaps with my drone including this one at the top of Cloudland.
cloudlandsept23.jpeg

deaner1971

Re: Cloudland - Woodstock area Sept 23

Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:05 pm

As of now (second-guessing due to accelerating leaf changes ahead of my timetable), I am planning on hitting Vermont with new gear (moved to Nikon, after years with Sony) including a drone.

Being a new drone pilot for Vermont, any insights on good photo/video sites, in addition to Cloudland (which was on my list)?

Thinking about hitting the following (drone specific, though probably shooting ground photos too):

Silver Bridge and riffles/falls above.
Equinox Pond
Dorset marble quarry
Small falls near Weston
Grout Pond
Hapgood pond

Let me know if you are aware of any Vermont-specific restrictions that you have come to know.

Thank you!

Dean

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:21 pm

Hi Dean! You're back!!!!! :D Seeing that you are coming to southern VT locations, have you thought about taking the drone to Somerset Reservoir and having it fly near Mt. Snow as well? It should be in peak and the drone over those areas would be beautiful. The chairlift is running as well I think....

How about Hamilton Falls in Jamaica? Just a thought! CT

deaner1971

Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:07 pm

CT, hello!

I am/was planning on finally coming back but, some of the reports have me a seconding guessing a bit (a lot).

If everything north of Kelly Stand Road is looking doubtful, I am rethinking my plans.

It looks like I might be a week too late.

How Vermont is changing seasons faster than is North Dakota is beyond me but, there you go.

MinnieB

Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:24 pm

I went to Cloudland Road and the Woodstock/Barnard/Bridgwater area today and found some nice color. 100A was very good as was 100 south from the 100A junction. I was in Bellows Falls on Monday and it wasn't very good, still a lot of green, other trees past. So, I wasn't expecting much and was very pleasantly surprised. I went up to Killington an some some good color there as well. Some mountains looked good others had quite a bit of leaf drop. I ended heading back to NH via Rt. 44 and Ascutney was quite colorful. We are getting rain right now, I imagine those areas of VT are as well, so don't know if it will hold for tomorrow.