Visting over Halloween weekend

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

StaceLA

Visting over Halloween weekend

Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:42 pm

I am considering my first fall foliage trip over Halloween weekend. Is this too late to see the colors? Having never experienced anything like it, I guess I can't really be disappointed. I'm open at any and all suggestions. I will either fly into Albany or Manchester and head into Vermont.
Stace

ixl

Re: Visting over Halloween weekend

Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:58 pm

I really think it will be too late up here then. Your best bet is to try to go further south, perhaps lower NY state or even further down. --c
Charles Kozierok - DesktopScenes.com

View Autumn Scenes from Southern Vermont (2003), my free, 75-image foliage gallery!

pwt54

Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:41 pm

Yes, it's too late up here. There mayn be snow on the mountain tops and Killington may have early skiing. I'm reaaly worried about this weekend, the weatherfolks are predicting high winds.That could really hurt the foliage. Hot tip for IXL for next year. I just remembered an area and it's in my own back yard. The Clay Hill Area of Johnson. Great views to the southeast and southwest, good colors. Clay Hill Rd., Ben Ober Hill Rd, and the Plot Road. In fact the Plot Road has good views in both Johnson and Waterville. In Waterville, both Beals Hill Road and the Lapland Road have good views and colors.

dfpvt

Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:15 am

Halloween is too late for anything except small pockets of late color in VT. Mostly browns and some red sumac. Nice contrast if it snows, but not worth the trip.

On the other hand, I drove to Montreal last Halloween and the color on I-87 north of Saratoga was surprisingly bright. Didn't explore around L. Placid, since I was going to Montreal. Great place for Halloween - markets full of autumn produce - but not a foliage trip.

The Catskills, southern New England might still have nice color then, certainly compared to southern CA. But another poster mentioned that CT was peaking a week ago.

Geri

Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:44 pm

I live in NW CT and we are peak now. Late October is stick season even in NW CT. Yet, with the few leaves still hanging on in VT and a fresh coating of snow, it is a special magical time of year. We have a place in Corinth, VT at elevation of 1600 ft. and Oct. 9th was just sliding past peak.