When to View the Full Harvest Moon in Vermont!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

When to View the Full Harvest Moon in Vermont!

Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:41 am

I love full moons! This year, the full harvest moon will be on September 14th, 2019 which is a Saturday. Unfortunately, it is a tad early for my Vermont foliage vacation but I will enjoy it nonetheless weather permitting. There is nothing more glorious than to view the full harvest moon arising over the mountain ranges when you are in Vermont! However, if you are in Vermont for Columbus Day Weekend, then you will be there for the full Hunter's Moon on Sunday, October 13th. Find a place to watch the full moon rising over the ranges and you may find this will be your "Vermont Moment"! It is just magical!

Harvest Moon Name Origin

What is a Harvest Moon? The full moon that appears in September is called the Harvest Moon. The most familiar named moon, September’s Harvest Moon refers to the time of year after the autumn equinox when crops were gathered by Native Americans. Corn, pumpkins, squash, beans, and wild rice are the chief Native American staples that were ready for gathering. It also refers to the Harvest Moon’s particularly bright appearance and early rise, which lets farmers continue harvesting into the night. Usually the full Moon rises an average of 50 minutes later each night, but for the few nights around the Harvest Moon, the Moon seems to rise at nearly the same time each night: just 25 to 30 minutes later across the U.S., and only 10 to 20 minutes later for much of Canada and Europe.

Harvest Moon and Autumn Equinox

The Harvest Moon does not always occur in September. Traditionally, the name goes to the full moon closest to the autumn equinox, which falls during October once or twice a decade.

Harvest Moon Name Variations

The Harvest Moon of September is sometimes referred to as the Corn Moon or the Barley Moon.

Neil Young's Harvest Moon is the best song to play as the moon rises in Vermont. It is truly romantic! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Harvest Moon by Neil Young

Come a little bit closer
Hear what I have to say
Just like children sleepin'
We could dream this night away.

But there's a full moon risin'
Let's go dancin' in the light
We know where the music's playin'
Let's go out and feel the night.

Because I'm still in love with you
I want to see you dance again
On this harvest moon.

When we were strangers
I watched you from afar
When we were lovers
I loved you with all my heart.

But now it's gettin' late
And the moon is climbin' high
I want to celebrate
See it shinin' in your eye.

On this harvest moon.

On this harvest moon.

:D
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: When to View the Full Harvest Moon in Vermont!

Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:02 pm

Hey folks! Don't forget that the full harvest moon is Saturday the 14th! The NE is looking somewhat iffy but Sunday night looks good. One of my favorite harbingers of fall! Hope to see some pictures here if anyone is out watching it rise! :D :D :D

From_the_NEK

Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:47 pm

The full harvest moon is tonight. Friday the 13th too!

I'm going to try to get out for some shots.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:10 am

Oh my gosh Tim! Thank you for the correction! We saw it last night and it was amazing! It should remain full for just 2 more nights according to the website and it will not come as a full harvest moon in the month of September for another 30 years! I hope you got some nice images. I think I saw you had some great ones from Peacham one year! Thanks again! CT