Cool September This Year Could Mean Earlier Fall

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

wentworth

Cool September This Year Could Mean Earlier Fall

Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:03 am

September this year is forecast to be much cooler this year than the last three years or so, which resulted in later Fall colors-- Last three years in Killington there were 7 to 10 nights in the 40's but this year almost every night this month may be in the 40's(in other words more normal)and we all know that Fall Colors love cold temperatures(as long as it doesn't go below 30 degrees)--Stay tuned

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Cool September This Year Could Mean Earlier Fall

Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:38 am

Hi wentworth, it "could" mean earlier but I am banking more on "normal" at this point in time. I'm hesitant to make any sort of predictions because we still have four weeks left and weather changes rapidly. I agree the temps have been a lot cooler during the day and at night up there. What I have seen over the many weekends I've traveled up there lately, is that it looks and feels more like what transpires in a normal progression. I agree that this month looks cooler but that was the norm before it started getting warmer, even as we hit October in some years.

It's a wait and see game now. Better to look at the big picture in 3 weeks or so IMO. Lots of reports of "early color" may be just that. But for where I am staying for two weeks in the NEK and parts of northern VT, I will take what comes and early or normal works for me! My friends in W. Charleston said yesterday was very rainy and "cold"!

Have fun in Killington! I'll be back up in VT this weekend hiking and then again the third weekend in September and will have some more "observations"!

Enjoy your time in Vermont. I know you come a long way every year and look forward to fall colors. Looks like a good year! CT

Colorado Mom

Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:06 pm

When it was in the 90's here yesterday and the 60's in Vermont, I was wishing I was there already!! Please don't let it come too early....its a guessing game for sure. The one thing you can usually count on is that you will see great color somewhere especially if your open to changing your plans a bit at the last minute.

loafer89

Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:44 pm

The extended outlook for about the next two weeks looks about average to slightly below normal temperature wise. I don't see any drastic warmups and here in Enfield it looks like we are done with 80F + temperatures for a while.

There's actually color change in spots around town, primarily with the Honey Locusts and a few Sugar Maple's. I didn't see that last year, but we already had Temperatures in the middle 40's so it doesn't surprise me. I think it's going to be a good Fall season for foliage. Hopefully we have good weather in October, last year was awful with persistent cloud's.

loafer89

Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:52 am

Funny video about Fall in the South. I feel the same way when it's 90F + in September.

https://youtu.be/-MtJoQ8Jc9M

wentworth

Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:41 am

Looks like they're amending the original lower temps forecast to a higher bias--So, probably still a later Fall than 2008 thru 2014 period, when NEK was at peak Oct 23rd or so, and more along the later Falls lines of 2016 thru 2018, but still earlier than last year's late Fall yikes