Your favorite cannot miss place to eat

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Colorado Mom

Your favorite cannot miss place to eat

Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:28 pm

I love a good place to eat, nothing fancy just a good ole mouth watering place not to be missed. Suggestions???
Last edited by Colorado Mom on Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Your favorite cannot miss place to eat

Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:32 pm

hi Colorado Mom (long lost twin!) : Have I got a place for you! Mad Taco in Waitsfield. I think they have a couple other places as well! It's mouth watering like you said! :D

Colorado Mom

Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:13 pm

I ate at MAD Taco last time because you suggested it. Lol It was delicious!! My husband and I stopped near there and had a picnic with barns in the background and picnic tables. It was delightful!!

Utah Baker

Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:45 am

Sooo many places! The Miss Lyndonville Diner, Lyndonville. Wayside Inn, Montpellier,The Blue Ben Diner in Bennington, Polly’s Pancake Parlor, Sugar Hill,NH, The Whip Bar & Grill, Stowe. The Whip is less expensive for lunch and calling ahead for reservations is wise. Last year we just called in an order to go for their corn chowder and turkey sandwich and ate it up at the notch, so fun!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:50 am

oh I forgot! You did mention that. I totally agree with Utah for the Miss Lyndonville Diner and the Blue Benn Diner (very crowded but bar stools pretty much open). I've always wanted to go to the Wayside Inn, maybe this fall when I'm in Peacham! Thanks Janice!!!

https://www.facebook.com/Miss-Lyndonvil ... 922189307/

https://www.facebook.com/Blue-Benn-Dine ... 143678982/

Gator

Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:42 pm

Hello all! Long time, no posting but back on again :D

In addition to the great suggestions above, may I suggest:
Hen of the Wood - Waterbury
10 Acres Bistro - Stowe
Edson Hill - Stowe
SoLo FarmTable - South Londonderry (maybe best resto in VT?]
Ray’s Seafood - Essex jx
Allegro - Bennington
Rickie’s Indian - Barre (not a resto but GREAT food, takeout)
Fire Tower Pizza - Elmore
Canteen Creemee - Waitsfield (plaza that has Mad Taco original, get the fried chicken!)

I’ll think of more, will be there in 3 days :D

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:50 pm

Hi Gator, nice to see you back here! Great list! I thought I read somewhere that Hen of the Wood was temporarily closed due to a recent duct fire but that may be in a different location...… I've heard great things about SoLo Farm Table! Agree with Canteen Creemee and will have to try the fried chicken. The Fire Tower Pizza in Elmore will have to wait when I actually climb the Elmore fire tower! That would be a fun combo!

bm: Fire and Ice was amazing, I think that's the one with the HUGE salad bar. I ate at Hired Hand as well. Fun place!

Gator

Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:10 pm

Thank you for the kind words ctyanky!

Hen in Burlington @ Hotel VT is closed due to duct fire. Reopening soon. When they do - happy hour oysters at the bar an hour prior to service is not to be missed. The original Waterbury location in the grist mill is spectacular - go go go if you haven’t.

Looking forward to seeing how our trees are doing, neighbors said a few have some deep green color already. We are in Stowe, off the mountain road above Cady Hill.

Colorado Mom

Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:46 pm

YUM......thanks everyone! Keep em coming :D

Pats fan

Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:41 pm

Here are a some of my favorites

Trattoria la fiesta - delicious italian food in Stowe
American Flatbread - wood fired pizza in Waitsfield. Love watching them throw the pies in a wood fired oven.
Mad taco - wouldn't have thought I could get great mexican food in vermont, but this place is great. I've been to the one in waitsfield.
Woodstock farmers market - had a delicious turkey sandwich here, good variety of sandwiches to choose from.

Excited to try some of the places listed in this thread on my trip this year!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:29 pm

Hi Pats fan, nice to see you back here! Have you tried Cilantro in Manchester center? Their quality and authentic Mexican fare rivals Mad Taco. Only exception, it doesn't seem to have the cozy, local vibe that Mad Taco has. I love that laid back feel to Mad Taco in Waitsfield, probably have eaten there a dozen times! The chips and salsa at Cilantro are 100% better though than Mad Taco though. Cilantro may have another location as well. I've also eaten at your other two recommendations..... Great choices. :D

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:33 pm

Positive Pie, Plainfield VT

https://www.positivepie.com/plainfield/home.php

Going back for dinner there in October! YUM! Excellent vibe! Lively! I think Carol and I ate there one year as well. Strange intersection to get there! :mrgreen:

Utah Baker

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:22 pm

Oh, I almost forgot the best pizza is at Lake Parker’s Country store in Glover. Didn’t notice if anyone had mentioned it yet. Went there this spring, yum!

Gator

Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:02 pm

Update: just arrived again today:

Dipsy Doodle - Northfield NH. HUGE all claw lobster rolls, plus they serve Gifford’s Ice Cream! Black Raspberry!

Fire Tower Pizza - lake Elmore, fabulous. Fresh veggies from the neighbor’s farm as well.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:51 am

Hi Gator! Are you up for the weekend? It's going to be gorgeous! I'm heading up Saturday! I can't wait to hit Fire Tower Pizza in Elmore!