Maple Syrup

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

Colorado Mom

Maple Syrup

Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:25 am

As you travel through Vermont, the chance to buy maple syrup is around every corner. Where does one begin? I can't take them ALL home! I love how they have them just sitting out on the front porch at Jenne Farm. What is your favorite maple syrup?

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Maple Syrup

Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:51 am

When I went on my sugaring tour this past spring, they all were so delicious. They kept getting better with the 8 sugarhouses we visited. Or maybe I was on a sugar high with each one! If I had to pick a stand out, I would say my favorite so far was the syrup a local farmer was selling at the Dorset Farmers Market but I forgot the name of the vendor.

Honestly, any of the syrup I've brought home in the past has been great. I don't buy in one large quantity; rather, I select an assortment of syrup from the sugaring vendors at the farmers markets, farm stores or stands, and bring the bottles home. They all end up being so good! Some of the very local road side stands are excellent. I don't buy in jugs or cans, just glass bottles. Also, I try not to stick with one seller and enjoy the syrup from all parts of the state when traveling.

I'll try to find the vendor at the Dorset Farmers Market! :D

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:11 pm

So here is my top pick vendor from the Dorset Farmer's Market for maple syrup:

https://www.facebook.com/woodfamilymapleproducts/
Pawlet

I finally found the vendor. The Dorset Farmers Market is a must do. Maybe you'll be around the Manchester area?

This post is making me crave maple syrup on anything right now! :lol:

Colorado Mom

Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:41 pm

Thank you CT. We were not planning on going that far west but our plans might change if we can fit it in!

Andy

Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:57 pm

First let me say I am totally biased with this one :D . My Cousin has a sugaring operation in the Northwest corner (Bakersfield) of Vermont. They have a large woods of hard maple (makes the best syrup) on a mountainside. Back in the day, I helped gather it by hand in buckets, with a horse-drawn sled and tank, back to the sugarhouse. I have been there when they boiled, and tasted it fresh off the evaporator. If you don't want to venture that far afield, Cold Hollow Cider Mill sells their syrup in Waterbury (just south of Stowe). It is marketed under the name "Sunday Brook." The BEST
Andy

If it sounds too good to be true, its probably . . . .

Andy

Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:57 pm

First let me say I am totally biased with this one :D . My Cousin has a sugaring operation in the Northwest corner (Bakersfield) of Vermont. They have a large woods of hard maple (makes the best syrup) on a mountainside. Back in the day, I helped gather it by hand in buckets, with a horse-drawn sled and tank, back to the sugarhouse. I have been there when they boiled, and tasted it fresh off the evaporator. If you don't want to venture that far afield, Cold Hollow Cider Mill sells their syrup in Waterbury (just south of Stowe). It is marketed under the name "Sunday Brook." The BEST
Andy

Colorado Mom

Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:58 pm

I love Cold Hollow. I could spend hours there! I will look for some Sunny Brook for sure. I have this feeling I will be having a lot of syrup shipped to Colorado before it's all said and done!!

Andy

Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:02 am

Just to clarify, it is SunDAY Brook :)
Andy

Utah Baker

Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:03 pm

It’s all delicious! I got hooked our first visit and can eat nothing else. Use to bring it home on the plane but since I can’t do that anymore I have it shipped in gallon jugs about twice a year.( keeps nicely in the fridge.). I met Stephen and Diane Smith of Sugarhill Farms years ago at Danville on the Green, they were located out on Stannard Mountain Road and order syrup from him until this spring when I was unable to reach him by phone or online. My fear is that being an elderly gentleman, that he had passed away. I found a new source Roy’s Maples out of Derby,Vt. www.roysmaplesyrup.com. Price is a consideration for me, and they ship a gallon quite inexpensively.

Colorado Mom

Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:17 pm

Got it Andy....SunDAY Brook. I will buy some for sure. We love having breakfast for dinner so I'm sure I will put all the maple syrup from Vermont to good use!!