Late September?

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

briankusler

Late September?

Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:26 pm

Hello. My folks are from Oregon and they've had "see Vermont foliage" on their bucket list for years. I've been several times and we had a tentative plan for mid-October all drawn up and then circumstances changed and now they need to do it the last week of September. Is there anywhere in VT where the leaves would be turning that early? Maybe someplace in Quebec instead? Or is it better for us to just put this off until 2020 when they can hopefully travel mid-October?

Thanks in advance for any tips anyone might have!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Late September?

Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:30 pm

Hi Brian and welcome to the foliage forum! In my experience, in the last few years, foliage has been a tad late (maybe a week?) due to many reasons. Chasing the foliage color change is a gamble; maybe this year it could even follow a normal pattern. I think that your folks would find early color in the far reaches of Vermont in the Northeast Kingdom (NEK) and towards the border. Basically, no one can predict how the season will turn out this far in advance.

Nonetheless, I would say that if it is on their bucket list, they should go for it. Just my opinion. Vermont is so lovely during the fall season, they could find beauty almost anywhere traveling the back roads, and the fairs and festivals start the end of September as well. If they are on the fence, then come the last week of September rather than wait a whole year when other circumstances could arise once again.

I hope others will chime in with their opinion as this is my own take on my travels over the last 15 or more years in Vermont.

Again, welcome and please ask away with any further questions! CT

admin
Site Admin

Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:50 pm

Last week of September should be fine for the Northeast Kingdom and anywhere with high elevation in the north, such as Smugglers' Notch, Jay Peak, and the Gap in the west.

briankusler

Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:17 pm

excellent! thanks for the help!