My Vermont "Bucket List" is Growing!!!

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: My Vermont "Bucket List" is Growing!!!

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:54 pm

Well I can't believe my luck! 8) I just got the last room at a lovely place in Brownington, #14 on my bucket list! Now I definitely will knock this one off for sure! No more excuses for neglecting my bucket list. I decided to frontload my fall foliage vacation to include the last weekend in September rather than add Columbus Day Weekend. I've been holding off for quite awhile, going back and forth as to my decision regarding heading up on the 27th of September or waiting until the first week in October. I'm totally excited to be staying in this quaint village and I'll be able to watch the sunset at Prospect Hill for three nights provided the weather cooperates. I'm looking forward to exploring the village, the museum and all the historic homes as well. During this time, I will hit the Burke Fall Foliage Festival on 9/28 and ride at DnD Stables on 9/29. I have a friend who owns a house in West Charleston, and of course, visit with Tim our board owner who lives in Morgan, just minutes away. :D

I'm near so many wonderful spots including Lake Willoughby, route 114, Shadow Lake, Lake Memphremagog (never been before!!!), Burke Mountain (taking the lift ride up the mountain ), Hill Farmstead Brewery and so much more! I intend to soak it all in for this first weekend and I couldn't be happier. I feel so relieved to have my four lodgings secured, and now I can concentrate on meeting my SOV friends and all the new folks I met in Vermont the last two years, and to spice up my daily itinerary to include as much fun and adventure as possible! :D :D :D

If there are any must do, must see places in the area please let me know! I'll be in this prime location for a few nights before heading to my Peacham stay on 9/30!

CT

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon May 06, 2019 7:04 am

Wow! This is going to be an interesting weekend in Brownington! My new VT friend who owns a house in nearby Charleston just asked if I wanted to kayak and/or canoe on the Clyde River if the weather is great. A new experience and I'm always game for anything that is adventurous and out of the norm for me! Of course, I confirmed that life preservers were part of the package so let's hope the weather Gods are in sync for one morning or afternoon. I know our board owner Tim regularly cruises the Clyde and I'm very excited to add this event to any already action packed weekend. I think I would rather try the canoe however..... :roll:

I can now concentrate on finding lots of activities for the following week when I am in beautiful Peacham! Love being busy 24/7! :mrgreen: CT

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu May 09, 2019 7:17 am

Oh geez! :shock: I just found another event on October 5th that I have to try to get to and it is actually part of my bucket list! If you scroll back you will see that Dog Mountain in St. J's has been on my list for quite awhile. Here is the info in case anyone is interested!

Fall Dog Party 2019
Dog Mountain
Saint Johnsbury, VT
Saturday, October 5th, 2019
Time: 12pm-4pm

It’s the most beautiful time of the year in New England, and it’s time once again to celebrate the season at Dog Mountain’s annual Fall Dog Party presented by Stephen Huneck Gallery and Friends of Dog Mountain! We hope you can take the time to grab your camera, hop in the car, and take the scenic ride to leaf-romping, four-legged fun and smiles at Dog Mountain. Your dogs will thank you with many wags of their tail and wet kisses.

The Fall Dog Party is free to the public and will be held rain or shine.

https://www.dogmt.com/

:D :D :D

ctyanky
Board Admin

Mon May 20, 2019 3:13 pm

15. WESTON PRIORY, WESTON, VT

I recently saw a post on a Vermont based instagram about the Weston Priory and it jogged my memory of a past desire to visit there someday. I would love to take a “time out” from my usual whirlwind foliage itinerary and listen to the chants and tour the facility. I have heard nothing but rave reviews from everyone who has stopped by or who spent a retreat there. The website is so beautiful! It beckons one to come and see what it is all about. Has anyone been? I need to look at my schedule thus far and see if I'll be near Weston during this year's fall visit, or just come up for the day! CT

http://www.westonpriory.org/

Prayer schedule

http://www.westonpriory.org/schedule.html

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri May 31, 2019 9:56 am

16. NICHOLS LEDGE, WOODBURY, VT (hike)

Once again, I have been trying to hike Nichols Ledge for years and either the weather did not cooperate, I was not near the area during my fall excursion or my hiking partner could not make it! :x As I am in Peacham for a week this year, I am going to try my best to go. A few years ago, the Cabot Fall Foliage Festival led a hike to the ledge as part of their festival. I think this year, they are not physically sponsoring it but it is part of their "recommended tour". I hope to meet up with a hiking buddy to see what all the rave reviews are about! I found a past link of this foliage forum for the directions. I'm wondering what the reality of the hike is, moderate or moderate/difficult because there are different takes on it depending on your skill level. I'm participating this weekend in my state's trail weekend led by Connecticut Forest and Park Association to continue to get in shape! I reallllly want to do this hike as I heard the unobstructed views rival that of Owls Head in the Groton State Forest. I loved my two hikes at Owls Head, the views at the top were stellar! :D

Directions from previous post led by hike leader:

"The ledge is actually in the Town of Woodbury, very close to where the town lines of Cabot, Walden, Hardwick and Woodbury come together. To reach the ledges you must climb a rather steep and unforgiving trail, which is not to be attempted by timid, frail, or sedentary types. The beginning of the trail tends to be pretty wet, and you should wear sturdy, comfortable walking shoes or hiking boots, and it’s helpful to carry a walking stick. Once at the top, please be very careful because the drop is sheer and there are no railings or safeguards. DO NOT BRING CHILDREN HERE UNLESS YOU CAN KEEP A FIRM HAND ON THEM AT ALL TIMES, ESPECIALLY AT THE TOP NEAR THE LEDGES. The view from the top is well worth the trouble to get there. You’ll see breath-taking views to the south and west, and miles of unbroken forest.

To reach Nichol’s Ledge, take the South Walden Road at the north end of Main Street (Rt. 215) past the recreation field to Houston Hill Road on your left. Follow this road to Coit’s Pond Road, turn right for a little over a mile. You’ll see small Coit’s Pond on your left, and then you’ll come to a “wide spot in the road,” also on the left and directly opposite a “backwards driveway.” Park in the wide spot and you’ll see the trail heading down into the woods."

Please note: Nichols Ledge (amongst others) are closed until August 1, 2019 to protect nesting peregrine falcons, unless further updated by Vermont Fish & Wildlife. See recent press release below.

https://vtdigger.org/2019/05/13/cliff-t ... egrines-2/

ctyanky
Board Admin

Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:58 pm

17. Ziprider® AT STOWE MOUNTAIN, STOWE, VT

https://ziprider.com/rides/stowe/

I'm trying to get my nerve up to even post this as a possibility to add to my bucket list! :shock: I consider myself to be fairly adventurous and I realllllly want to try this. But...………. it looks a bit scary, thrilling and enchanting at the same time. I think I might back out the last minute, who knows. :roll: "If" I did try it, I am sure I would be so glad to have completed this ride. Watch the video! Everyone looks so happy and calm. I want this to be me! :|

(If you notice that my signature on all my initial posts contains the words "....if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns" by George Eliot, I think this is the closest I will ever come! I noticed the raven soaring at the beginning and end of the video. This ride is calling to me...……. :wink:
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:08 am

18. TOP NOTCH RESORT SPA, STOWE

https://www.topnotchresort.com/uploads/ ... ochure.pdf

https://www.topnotchresort.com/spa

As I write this, we are in the midst of a brutal heat wave in New England and my thoughts are once again drifting to cool weather and autumn in Vermont! This spa has been on my mind every time I go to Vermont and have a rainy day to ponder what I am going to do. Not that I want a rainy day, :mrgreen: but this seems so divine! A nice way to chill out from my hectic and 24/7 itinerary!

I am especially interested in the VERMONT MAPLE SUGAR BODY SMOOTHIE! Doesn't that sound like the perfect way to spend an inclement day in Vermont? I decided to put this on my bucket list because it is always on my back up plans in case it rains, or I have spare time :roll: on my hands. I'm trying to curb the shopping habit a bit (except for stocking up on maple syrup), so this might be the perfect alternative! :D

Stay cool during this heat wave! It better not happen in September!!!! :evil:
CT

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:17 am

19. LAVENDER ESSENTIALS OF VERMONT, DERBY

https://lavender-essentials.com/

2103 Herrick Rd. Derby, Vermont

Someone messaged me about this lavender farm in Derby and my friends from West Charleston and I are going to try to fit it in when I am in the NEK my first weekend! I love their Instagram account and we hope to go after my ride at DnD Stables and before our Clyde River canoe trip! Looks like a must needed peaceful stop during what is appearing to be a very active Vermont foliage itinerary! :P

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:08 am

Well I am going to knock off 3 of my "Vermont Bucket List" posts here in one fell swoop as I head up to the NEK! No more neglecting my list! I am stopping at King Arthur Flour for breakfast, Farm Way for hiking poles and my overalls (have to see this post for why I want these) :lol: and then meeting my VTer friends in Brownington to climb the viewing tower for views of Memphremagog and Willoughby as it will be a clear day. If the weather is decent, I will complete more of my list in the coming days by hiking Nichols Ledge, going to the Danville corn maze, Lavender Essentials in Derby and the Dog Mountain fall festival in St. Johnsbury! This is the year! :P

I am sure I will add more bucket wishes as I travel through the state the next two weeks and I had really hoped to go to Fort Ticonderoga and the tour at the State House in Montpelier, these will have to wait once again.

I hope you get to go to many of your planned activities as there is a lot more to Vermont during foliage season, than chasing the color (which is definitely a priority for me). If you are an outdoor enthusiast or an activity oriented person, Vermont has it ALL! Hiking in Vermont is prime and I can't wait to get to all those mountains!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoy! CT :D :D :D
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

ctyanky
Board Admin

Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:49 pm

Hello to all on this rainy Friday pre Thanksgiving weekend in New England. I wanted to update my bucket list by mentioning that I did hit five of my Vermont "bucket to dos" this past season and it was great to visit all these new places! I was not able to hit the Danville Corn Maze, the Lavender Essentials Farm in Derby, or the Nichols Ledge hike but will hopefully do so next fall. This winter I am going to work on my Vermont Hiking Bucket List so stay tuned! 8)

First of all, King Arthur Flour was certainly a nice stop on my way up to Vermont this past September. My only regret was not to stay there longer and see all the goings on. I had a delicious lunch on some great bread! I headed next to Farmway and was very impressed with the quality of the clothing lines they carried. If I were to live in Vermont, I would get all my outdoor gear there. The selection was outstanding. I never got my overalls because they didn't have my size, oh well! Brownington Village was simply gorgeous, it was like a step back in time. I stayed right in town and first off, went to the Prospect Hill Viewing tower for views of Lake Mempremagog and the Willoughby Gap. The views up there were amazing and I had the tower to myself. The walk up to the tower was peaceful and at the top, looking down into the village was sweet! :D

One of the highlights of my trip was to go to Dog Mountain Fall Festival in St. J's and it did not disappoint. I made a separate post on the forum and will link it here. I was brought to tears as I expected. If it were not for the huge show of frolicking dogs all over the place for the festival, I would have left very sad after leaving my notes of love for my dogs who have passed away. I hope you all can go there at some point. It is soul stirring.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4100

Lastly, I checked off number five on the bucket list with the trip to the Hillstead Farm Brewery which we loved! What a place! And what a great vibe! I am convinced this is the most happening brewery in Vermont and we lucked out with absolutely no crowds whatsoever and parking was a breeze. I saw on a Vermont based Instagram that their "brewery dog" had passed away and I'm certain we saw him there outside. :( :( :(

I will continue to add to my Vermont bucket list soon. One of them will be the Rock of Ages Quarry which I will add to this post shortly.

As always, feel free to comment or add your own bucket list and why you would love to go there! CT

Colorado Mom

Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:44 pm

I love love that you are starting on your bucket list for 2020 CT. As I am preparing for Christmas......baking cookies, wrapping presents, decorating etc. I find myself visiting
Scenes of Vermont for an escape lol Thank you!!
Even though I am not preparing for my bucket list for the next visit yet, I enjoy reading about what everyone else is looking forward to! I do know that my daughter and I came to the conclusion that we enjoyed staying in Woodstock for several days rather than hopping from one hotel to another constantly. It was nice to just relax rather than trying to squeeze it all in, which is what us people do that have flown in lol. Besides if you don't fit it all in this trip, that only means you have to come back :D

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:08 pm

Hi Colorado Mom! Thanks for the reply. I can just smell those cookies as they come out of the oven! How fun! I'm scouting out places in Woodstock for next year after my Peacham week. I was thinking of a more "urban vibe" after such a rural stay. Plus, I want to be close to the Marsh Billing Rockefellar Park for hiking. We'll see! :wink: I understand the need for a relaxing stay, the days are filled with so much to do and see, it is good to take a "time out"!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:16 pm

20. ROCK OF AGES QUARRY, GRANITEVILLE, VT

https://rockofages.com/tourism/

Sitting here waiting for the next winter storm to blow by after these awful rains! All the snow is melting and it is muddy! Anyways, continuing on with my bucket list, I've always wanted to spend some time here at this quarry. I have been to the Dorset Quarry quite a few times and this one is magnificent! Many years ago, I think Phil and I drove by here but just for a fleeting moment. Now, I would like to take the tour. It is quite an amazing sight, isn't it?

T. 802 476-3119
Toll free: 866 748-6877
visitor@rockofages.com

Rock of Ages Visitors Center
558 Graniteville Road
Graniteville, VT 05654

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:39 am

Wow, it's been about six months since I last updated my Vermont "Bucket List" and I have been meaning to add this one to my many upcoming day trips to Vermont after Labor Day! This is an excursion for the whole family and being the tree lover that I have become lately, :mrgreen: this is right up my alley! I've included several links for you to check out as well. Very excited for this one! I visited VINS a few years ago and fell in love with the facility. (VINS - Vermont Institute of Natural Science in Quechee). The VINS Forest Canopy Walk is a 900-foot elevated boardwalk that wraps around the grounds. Enjoy!

21. VINS UNVEILS $1.7M TREE TOP CANOPY WALK, QUECHEE, VT

149 Natures Way, Quechee, VT

https://vinsweb.org/exhibits-activities ... nopy-walk/

https://www.wcax.com/content/news/VINS- ... 42321.html

nice video in above link!

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/vermont ... avel-list/

We hope to stop here after climbing Mt. Tom! :D

CT

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:22 am

22. SAINT-GAUDENS NATIONAL HISTORIC PARK Cornish, New Hampshire :mrgreen: :wink:

Hello SOV friends! Another seven months have gone by since my last update and I need to add this before I forget! I have always wanted to visit this historic park when in Vermont as it is sooooo close! I know, I know, it's New Hampshire and this is a Vermont site. Tim Benson, our board owner and administrator, is the one who mentioned this to me a couple of years ago and alas, I am putting it here on my bucket list. I can only imagine how beautiful it must be in spring, summer and fall! :D The photos and history are just so appealing to me I couldn't resist! What a perfect way to enjoy a blissful day once this pandemic is over and done with!!!! 8)

https://www.nps.gov/saga/index.htm

https://saint-gaudens.org/visiting/

OPERATING HOURS & SEASONS
During the open season from Memorial Day weekend through October 31, the park buildings are open daily from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

CONTACT THE PARK
Mailing Address:
139 Saint Gaudens Road
Cornish, NH 03745

Phone:
603-675-2175