Photog Ed McGuirk in Nature Photographers Network, excellent article: The Colors of Spring – The “Other” Foliage Season

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

ctyanky
Board Admin

Photog Ed McGuirk in Nature Photographers Network, excellent article: The Colors of Spring – The “Other” Foliage Season

Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:53 pm

https://naturephotographers.network/art ... of-spring/

A shout out to our very own foliage forum member and talented photographer Ed McGuirk on his stellar photo essay on the “under appreciated” spring color that Mother Nature brings to us each year, recently published on the Nature Photographers Network. Spring color is an often understated foliage display which is beautiful in its own right. The colors are “warm” and more “subtle” as Ed states in the article, but have a similar relationship to our autumn canvas which tends to create more fanfare due to its brilliant and bold colors.

Ed has mentioned to me that it has a lot of technical aspects for the photographer, but to me as a beginner photographer (using my phone as of late!) it was a lovely read. I immersed myself in the narrative and am more enlightened as to the emerging colors of spring. I am aware of the softer colors that are now starting to appear and have mentioned to others that the maples which are now pushing buds here in northern Connecticut looks like early autumn. But it is spring! I eagerly await the other softer colors in the spring palette.

I hope you enjoy Ed's article as much as I have. I'm looking forward to the spring color with my new found "appreciation"! :wink:

Thank you Ed for this sweet article. Congratulations! CT
CT - Board Admin and Moderator for Scenes of Vermont
Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. ~George Eliot

edmcguirk

Re: Photog Ed McGuirk in Nature Photographers Network, excellent article: The Colors of Spring – The “Other” Foliage Sea

Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:31 am

Thank you for posting this here ctyanky. I'm sure some of our Fall foliage fanatics here at SOV will appreciate the parallels between autumn foliage colors and the more subtle, but still beautiful colors of spring foliage. For a few weeks each spring, the hardwood forests of New England put on display of spring color that can rival that of it's autumn cousin. The photo essay at Nature Photographers Network (NPN) is the culmination of a project that I worked on over the past 5 years to capture the ephemeral beauty of the colors of the spring season. I hope this article inspires some of you to get out there and do a little spring leaf peeping !!!

For those of you who are also into nature and landscape photography, the NPN website is a great place to view and share nature photos with like minded photographers. Be sure to check it out.

Utah Baker

Re: Photog Ed McGuirk in Nature Photographers Network, excellent article: The Colors of Spring – The “Other” Foliage Sea

Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:08 pm

Ed, enjoyed this immensely, so glad CT shared it here . I tell my grandkids when looking at the emerging foliage in spring, that it hints at what color it will be in Autumn. So looking to our visit the end of May, early spring will have passed but hoping to catch some blossoms.

edmcguirk

Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:36 pm

So glad you enjoyed the article UtahBaker, thanks for taking the time to read it. Even in late May the trees in Vermont will still be in nice lime green colors, so I wish you good luck with your May trip.

edmcguirk

Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:27 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed the article Carol. The colors of spring foliage are a very close second for me as well, and in some ways more exciting than autumn because spring is just so energetic and full of growth and rebirth. In another 7 to 10 days the colors of spring foliage should be in full swing in eastern Massachusetts. I can't wait !!!!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:50 am

Hi Ed, I can feel your enthusiasm coming through! We are about 50% leafed out here in northern CT with those mint green leaves showing off! Magnolias were in full bloom by this past weekend and azaleas, cherry blossoms and dogwoods are totally amazing! I had been hiking quite a bit this last week and the smell of the forests is intoxicating. So many birds and wildlife, turtles sunning on the rocks in the reservoirs, grass is like a thick, green carpet and daffodils are popping out like crazy! Spring has arrived and the energy is so uplifting after such a long, cold winter. I was hiking in our local reservoir and there was a waterfall popping out of nowhere due to the frequent rainfalls and we sat there listening to the gurgling amidst the sounds of the forest. Enchanting is the only way to describe it! :D A new appreciation for Mother Nature's bounty for sure.

I promised myself to look at Spring differently since reading your article, will enjoy this season as it takes hold and try :roll: not to think of the leaves just as a precursor of autumn!

Enjoy your spring photography in eastern Mass and again, your article was spot on.

Looking forward to your visit to Connecticut! CT