Northwest Connecticut & Southwestern Massachusetts 10-19-2019

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

loafer89

Northwest Connecticut & Southwestern Massachusetts 10-19-2019

Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:12 am

I did a drive yesterday morning into Northwestern Connecticut and Southwestern Massachusetts, looking for some fall color. Routes traveled where CT Route 20 West, CT Route 8 North, MA Route 8 North, MA Route 23 East and MA Route 20 to I-91 South. I have to say this is the worst fall foliage season I can remember here in SNE with virtually no fall color to be found on the entire trip, not even stand alone tree's. The predominant color's are green and rust with the higher elevations of theses routes going bare. Around Otis, it's about 75% bare. Here in Enfield it's still about 75% green, but the tree's that provided the early color, are now brown or bare. I'm not sure if there will be a late season burst of color around here, but time is running out as we get closer to November. We had a hard freeze here yesterday, with a low of 26F, so that may accelerate the foliage change/leaf drop.

Even last year's poor foliage season had brightened up by this late into October. I'll do one more trip in a few days to see if the fall color has improved.

MinnieB

Re: Northwest Connecticut & Southwestern Massachusetts 10-19-2019

Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:52 pm

Thanks for the report, Loafer. I drove down to Melrose, MA from Lebanon, NH today and the most color I saw was around the Nashua exit on Rt. 93 and around exits 42 - 37 heading south on Rt. 95. I also did a little hiking at Lynn Woods in Lynn. I went to the top of the stone tower and quite the view from there, but that view was mostly green. Only a handful of trees turned. I checked out Walden's pond and I saw maybe 5 trees that had some color. This area has another week or two to do. Someone else visiting the park told me I should go to Salem, MA that the color was better there, but it was getting late and I didn't have time. I have a feeling, though, that some of the best color is probably along the highways. I'd like to go back to MA and maybe the Nashua, NH area tomorrow, but it is supposed to be really windy 20+ mph That will destroy any pond reflections. So, not sure if it is worth going or not.