Visitor from California - help needed to time foliage viewing for Southern VT

Discuss Fall Foliage in Vermont, when to come, where to stay, where to take a tour etc. Note: You must be registered in order to post. If you have trouble registering, use the contact us form on Scenes of Vermont's home page.

Moderators: Andy, pwt54, admin, ctyanky

pkb2508

Visitor from California - help needed to time foliage viewing for Southern VT

Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:10 pm

Hi All,

Just joined this forum with the hope of getting some suggestions in timing my trip. I am thinking of making a last minute trip to southern VT (Windsor, Windham, Bennington, Rutland). With the current weather pattern (reading a lot here about rain and wind), am I going to be too off in catching the peak for the Oct 19-22 period?

Thanks,
Prabal.

edmcguirk

Re: Visitor from California - help needed to time foliage viewing for Southern VT

Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:16 am

Your days of 10/19 to 10/22 are very probably too late for peak in those areas. The foliage got a late start this year, but once it arrived it progressed faster than expected. We also have had a lot of wind and rain this fall, and are expecting the remnants of Storm Michael today, with a lot of wind. If those are the only dates you have open, you would be more likely to find foliage in Massachusetts or Connecticut.

Ctyanky can probably provide you with places to visit in Connecticut.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Re: Visitor from California - help needed to time foliage viewing for Southern VT

Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:32 am

Prabal: If you decide to come to CT for foliage I will be able to direct you to the NW and NE corners for road trips. I need to spend next week in these areas for more accuracy. Rain and wind are always deciding factors but as of now, we are green with early color coming on strong. Let me know if you are traveling to CT at all during these times. CT

MinnieB

Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:46 am

Coastal Maine should be good that week. Maybe Newburport, MA, too.

ctyanky
Board Admin

Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:56 pm

Prabal: the Berkshires should be nice when you come out here. Let me know closer to when you arrive and I'll help with the routes. 183 past the Norman Rockwell Museum is a great drive, visit Stockbridge, Lenox and Williamstown on route 7. CT

pkb2508

Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:05 pm

Thanks for the great suggestions, folks. I am not from the area. and is a very infrequent visitor to New England at best, so I definitely appreciate your feedback.

My primary focus is foliage photography, and I read up landscape photography resources on backroads and covered bridges in the Windham/Windsor areas, and that's basically why I started planning around southern VT.

CT: I will contact you with some specific questions regarding a possible Connecticut based itinerary. Thanks for your offer to help!

Take care,
Prabal.

pkb2508

Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:35 pm

Hello CT: okay, I am booked now for my travel. Flying into EWR on Friday (10/19) night, and flying out of JFK on Monday morning. So, I have 2 full days to explore. Let me know if you'd like to share any details as you know more about foliage conditions.

Thanks again, and Can't Wait!!

- Prabal.

Fallleafechidna

Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:01 am

Those dates are more like NJ Highlands peak time, maybe even a touch late even for Harriman/Bear Mtn. N.Y. However we have had the most rain in late Aug/Sept/Oct ever and we’ve had terrible leaf rot and early turning and drop, my backyard looks like shaping up for all-time worst turn ever and this sadly follows last year’s all-time worst turn thanks to last year’s all-time worst drought! And now it is 3 out of 5 bad turned years and before this we not once ever had an out and out bad turn ever. Weather sadly very weird and strange recently. Maybe you can somehow luck out between VT and NJ and find decent conditions in some late turning patches.
Normally down hear Harriman does the best in overall tough years, maybe it will be OK this year and with the heat somhow not be past peak yet by then.

pkb2508

Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:57 am

Hello,

I made a slight change in my itinerary. Instead of EWR, I am flying into Bradley on Fri (10/19) night. Staying close to the airport for the night.

I am taking the Amtrak from New Haven back to Penn Station, NY on Sunday night to catch my return flight from JFK next morning.

Based on how the colors are turning, can you suggest a town where I can spend the Saturday night as a base?

Thanks,
Prabal.

markm

Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:45 am

Try Western Mass, Northwest CT for color this time.

pkb2508

Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:36 am

I just spoke to couple of B&B owners in the Litchfield area. It seems we are still 4-5 days away. As I'm here only for the weekend, I'll try my luck around NE Connecticut and Berkshires, unless others have any better ideas.

Thanks,
Prabal.

markm

Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:00 am

I'd think NW CT instead of NE CT at this point, especially if you plan for MA Berkshires as well. Another member states that foliage color is not shaping up in these regions though. Good luck in your journey!

ctyanky
Board Admin

Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:14 pm

Prabal: NW CT is usually ahead of NE CT, however, I agree with the person you spoke with in Litchfield. We are still about 3-4 days from peak depending on the temperature dips and based on my travels into central CT today. This morning, a photographer at my stables said he was on route 183 near the Norman Rockwell Museum said it was showing early, beautiful color. Perhaps you might stick with the Berkshires if you are only here for the weekend? Stay on the side roads for best color, the Savoy Forest off route 2 is always nice. Route 112 might still be showing good color off route 2. Please let us know what you find. I'm not going to the NW Hills of CT until Tuesday or Thursday of next week so I'm not sure how route 7 into 44 into the Canaans is doing yet. Good luck and just enjoy this amazing fall weekend! CT

pkb2508

Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:47 pm

I spent most of the afternoon around the back roads of the Quabbin reservoir area. It was disappointing for the most part. Colors were generally muted, and lots of sticks.

I will try my luck with the Berkshires tomorrow. There must be some area within a 100 mile radius of Hartford that's showing off peak colors this weekend!! At least that's what my folks back in the Golden State tell me :-)

Thanks for all the help you have provided so far. This is an amazing forum!

- Prabal

triz

Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:12 pm

A week ago the hills around Shelburne Falls MA seemed promising, with 10-15% trees being bright orange/red and no leaf drop.
However I have no idea of how things have progressed in a week.